Income Method, No Leniancy, Must Be 12 Months

Had a chat at my local (Lampang) Immigration Office. My retirement extension expires late July. Started doing the monthly 65000+ THB transfers in January this year. I asked if 7 months of transfers would be acceptable to renew my extension. No. Must have 12 monthly transfers. Showed the letter from Big Joke referring to leniency on this. Was told that only applies to people doing their first extension.

So, I think I will do the 800,000 baht deposit. Problem is, there are less than three months until my next extension is due. I guess my only option is to go to a neighboring country and apply for a single entry "O" visa to bide my time until the money is seasoned. Correct?

Which Thai consulate is the most hassle free these days? Would really appreciate any up to date info on this, as well as what documentation is needed for the visa app.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wimpy said:

Was told that only applies to people doing their first extension.

Which is, of course, the wrong answer, and silly to boot.

You could go out, come in a TVE, convert to 90 day, then extend that after ~ 75 days in total (15+60 - ish), supported by what, three or four monthly qualifying transfers (by which time you'll have ten or eleven). But no leniency for you this year with seven transfers.

"Please sir, may I have some leniency?"

"No, now get out....and come back."

People being shown leniency, per reports here, are given some sort of document noting this is a one-off and that next year they will have to conform to the new rules with twelve transfers.

"Mutatis Mutandis" translated into Thai is "5,000 Baht", one guesses?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Which is, of course, the wrong answer, and silly to boot.

You could go out, come in a TVE, convert to 90 day, then extend that after ~ 75 days, supported by what, three or four monthly qualifying transfers (by which time you'll have ten or eleven). But no leniency for you this year with seven transfers.

People being shown leniency, per reports here, are given some sort of document noting this is a one-off and that next year they will have to conform to the new rules with twelve transfers.

Hmm, I asked about going out and coming back with a tourist visa and converting it to a non-O. He said I can only do that once, which I have already done once before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wimpy said:

tourist visa and converting it to a non-O. He said I can only do that once, which I have already done once before.

I am sure that Ubonjoe will confirm that there is no such rule.  You can have extensions, leave the country and restart as often as you want provided you stick to the rules in force at that time.

29 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

The new rules say that the 800k only needs to be seasoned for 2 months before applying for an extension.   Ask if they will accept 2 months seasoning.  Some Offices are still requiring 3 months.

That is good to know. If they accept two months seasoning, it would save me making a visa run, I don't suppose you can point me to a copy the most recent rules?

Just to squeeze out the maximum this ret.ext., as they know many pensioners  go prepare for the 12 months starting from this year ext. date to comply next year  ext. with the full 12 month's , "agents must eat , and I.O. cars/houses /condo's monthly paid" :wink:

That is why lenience is wiped under the bamboo carpet :whistling: , so now they have many month's to find a new cash goat system to push pensioners  to agents ..,insurance / gov. pension proof only allowed …? don't worry they shall find something :jap: 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, wimpy said:

Hmm, I asked about going out and coming back with a tourist visa and converting it to a non-O. He said I can only do that once, which I have already done once before.

Oh dear, does he understand it will be a new TV?

How about converting a Visa Exempt entry instead?

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh dear, does he understand it will be a new TV?

How about converting a Visa Exempt entry instead?

You see , they already anticipate against profit losses ???? trying to keep the fish on the hook

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wimpy said:

The officers there are quite nice. He said he pitys people in my situation, but there is nothing he can do. :sad:

Why don't you call the Immigration Hotline 1178 to see if they can help.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SEtonal said:

The new rules say that the 800k only needs to be seasoned for 2 months before applying for an extension.   Ask if they will accept 2 months seasoning.  Some Offices are still requiring 3 months.

Yes, that's my understanding of the new rules also. It's 2 months when applying for a subsequent extension based on retirement. Here is (one of the many) translations of the official rules...

image.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wimpy said:

That is good to know. If they accept two months seasoning, it would save me making a visa run, I don't suppose you can point me to a copy the most recent rules?

Don't know if you're allowed to do the extension in CM, if you are, it might be worth a try.

46 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Don't know if you're allowed to do the extension in CM, if you are, it might be worth a try.

No, I am supposed to do it in Lampang. Have heard report of Chiang Mai wanting the full 12 months as well.

Ive heard of one case in Phuket where the applicant went from being an 800k retiree to a '65k' importer as soon as the new rules were announced in January.

He was refused 'leniency' late April with 4 inbound payments in the bank , plus 250k still unspent from his last 800k.

AFAIK he has gone home to start a new O-A application.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wimpy said:

If it is two months seasoning,

I'm good with that. Keeping 400k on continual deposit is not that big a deal.

Until you have that 400K in the bank and another 100K stashed under the bed and you have an emergency like an accident and you need 150K to get out of the hospital.  Even if you paid it back the next day, you would have lost your chance for the next extension.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Until you have that 400K in the bank and another 100K stashed under the bed and you have an emergency like an accident and you need 150K to get out of the hospital.  Even if you paid it back the next day, you would have lost your chance for the next extension.

That is what credit cards are for.

• Like 1

Income Method, No Leniancy, Must Be 12 Months......

OK have 7 months before next renewal, but  Get my Private pension every 90 days and the State Pension every 28 days..  ?  so that is 4 x Private and 13 times State..

Is that going to be a problem ?