Any catches with using free anti virus software

ghworker2010

I used to have a bought-and-paid for multi-user subscription for ESET NOD32 antivirus as it has the best ratings, a reasonable user interface and the annual renewal wasn't too cumbersome. However, the license expiration coincided with a clean o/s re-install on my laptop and hardware changes on other machines and I never pursued the renewal. Since then, I have been getting by with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes on my laptop. I added AVG free to the home PC's since the kids are always browsing for free games and stuff on theirs.

13 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Has anyone ever used a free version before? Any risks associated with this?

I wouldn't call it a "risk", but they're (even the paid ones)  monitoring your web activity.

Edit: And do check their privacy polices before installing.....

Edited by Vacuum

On 5/4/2019 at 10:18 PM, ghworker2010 said:

I saw this ad with 3 options:

Ignore the lot. Ads and av are a conflict of interest.

If your using Win10, stick with the built in Windows Security. It used to be called Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials in the older Windows versions, but you should be using newest windows version anyway for security purposes.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 12:58 AM, balo said:

I use AVG antivirus , the free version , been using it for 10 years. Sometimes there's an annoying popup that want you to buy the license, but just ignore it.  

Me too

Just remember, antivirus is just that, protects against viruses and nothing else, they don't protect against the more dangerous malware and spyware,(some antiviruses claim they do but they don't) if you download the free version of superantispyware and free version of malawarebytes, run them manually once a week, your computers should be clean.No need to buy them as you don't want the full programs running in the background in conjunction with your antivirus,some times they can conflict. give them a try and you see what i mean that using just an antivirus is not enough to keep your pc clean.

• Like 2

Stay away from Kaspersky AV, the one that comes bundled free with Asus MB's. I tried it on Win 10 and hated it - But then came the fun, trying to uninstall it! It took 3 weeks with daily support from Kaspersky. Asus had rewritten some of the code. In the end I had Kaspersky sending me special self extracting and self running software to try to clean it, editing the registry and in the end they did a remote takeover of my pc, 1 year on and I am still finding traces of the damn thing when I run certain apps, it is still lurking in some deep down directories. Bloody thing was worse than the virus's it was supposed to prevent.

I have used AVG and it was about 75%, the Windows defender software is as good as anything these days.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Stay away from Kaspersky AV, the one that comes bundled free with Asus MB's. I tried it on Win 10 and hated it - But then came the fun, trying to uninstall it! It took 3 weeks with daily support from Kaspersky.

There's nothing wrong with the version that comes direct from Kaspersky.

Once one eventually manages to shortlist a choice of Apps:

Install MKV,  which helps coordinate them... especially each one's respective good or weak features can be individually act/deactivated 

20 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Stay away from Kaspersky AV, the one that comes bundled free with Asus MB's. I tried it on Win 10 and hated it - But then came the fun, trying to uninstall it! It took 3 weeks with daily support from Kaspersky. Asus had rewritten some of the code. In the end I had Kaspersky sending me special self extracting and self running software to try to clean it, editing the registry and in the end they did a remote takeover of my pc, 1 year on and I am still finding traces of the damn thing when I run certain apps, it is still lurking in some deep down directories. Bloody thing was worse than the virus's it was supposed to prevent.

I have used AVG and it was about 75%, the Windows defender software is as good as anything these days.

I had a similar experience with Kaspersky, my intention was to let windows take over my spare computer, like using windows defender and letting windows update when they wanted to, I never use it where  any real security issues could come in, I removed Kaspersky with a software uninstaller, then restarted my computer,I lost everything, I had everything backed up onto a flash drive, the computer wouldn't recognize it,couldn't get the computer to carry out any of my attempts like pushing the keys to get into the return to another date, or restart, by pushing the keys on start up i did manage to get to the reinstall, but as with the backup, it wouldnot except the key numbers,all I got was a screen telling me to get it repaired and the disk was locked, never seen that one before, I took it to the Tech guy and told him if he couldn't easily fix it to reload with a new windows 10, that's what he did a reload with windows ten, for my main computer I use Avast,seems to be working well after many years, along with Malwarebytes and a 'Superantispyware' run every now and then.

I would just stick with Windows Defender built into Windows 10 by default.

I also run CCleaner once a month to clear cookies, cache and most importantly to clean up my Registry.

Windows Defender is all I use on all my computers,

agree with ccleaner one in a while but on my end I make sure to click off the part where it deletes saved passwords on browsers ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kekalot said:

Windows Defender is all I use on all my computers,

agree with ccleaner one in a while but on my end I make sure to click off the part where it deletes saved passwords on browsers ????

Glary Utilities is good too.

23 hours ago, Formaleins said:

would you be interested in trying Kaspersky version2 .... 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:30 AM, wombat said:

if you use a mac none of the above is needed

Of course not. Apple is direct-connected to NSA. The latter will take care of any 'malware'.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2019 at 12:58 AM, balo said:

I use AVG antivirus , the free version , been using it for 10 years. Sometimes there's an annoying popup that want you to buy the license, but just ignore it.  

I also used AVG for a long time up until fairly recently and in recent years the sales pitches have become increasingly annoying. What really got up my nose was that after buying their VPN I still got bombarded with messages saying I was at risk and should buy their VPN.

A couple of months ago I kicked them into touch and opted for a paid subscription with Webroot, on 3 year basis I think it worked out at around $30/year, you get 3 devices and a password manager thrown in, quite happy so far. The Webroot scans do not seem to slow the system like AVG did.

I used AVG for years until eventually they drove me mad. Then tried McAfee which just seemed to slow everything down. Read somewhere on this forum that Windows Defender was sufficient and gave it a try. Perfectly fine. At least so far.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 3:03 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

Ignore the lot. Ads and av are a conflict of interest.

If your using Win10, stick with the built in Windows Security. It used to be called Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials in the older Windows versions, but you should be using newest windows version anyway for security purposes.

Windows and Security is an oxymoron, and has been from the very beginning.

Personally, I use Comodo Internet Security. Free version with AV and FW and some other bits. Have been using it for years. The best part is probably the Comodo Container, which allows you to run any application on a virtualized file system. Any changes to any files disappear when you quit the application. Great for browsing dodgy websites.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I also recommend Windows Defender. It's good and it's free and maintained by Microsoft who need it to make sure Windows does not get a bad reputation because of viruses.

And in my view one of the most important "features" is that is does not ask stupid questions and dose not "recommend" you all the time to upgrade to paid versions.

I used other free AV software before and as far as I remember all of them told me regularly I should upgrade to this and that version. That was annoying. But I guess that's the reason these companies have free version, to sell paid version.

Some of these free programs also constantly ask questions which normal users just don't know. It's even difficult for computer professionals. These programs, often AV mixed with FireWall, ask if you want to allow i.e. c:\windows\system\difficultname.com .

Who knows? Nobody without looking it up. Windows Defender does not ask these questions. Problem solved!

• Like 2