Typical dual pricing jerks

skippybangkok

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The comment from my Thai family about Nong Nooch was that it wasn't a garden and the animals were all concrete. What put me right off was the poor birds locked in dirty, small cages at the main entrance, disgraceful but hardly unusual in Thailand. Add the thousands rude and incredibly noisy Chinese tour visitors and its never again for me.  

Were these thousands of zero dollar Chinese tourists because Nong Nooch is Chinese owned?

Of course they won't be subject to dual pricing because they only spend money in Chinese businesses.

Nong Nooch IS Chinese owned right?

I bet it was those Chinese b*****ds that locked those poor birds up.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

That was a euphemistic (polite) way of me telling you to have some actual balls. If you want to state something, usually it is best if you actually..... state it. 

though euphemism was indicating something without actually naming it?

Well well well

years ago a newspaper in Denmark found out that thais living in Denmark had a special price flying to Thailand with Thai Air much cheaper than ordinary customers.

it ended up with a very heavy fine for Thai Air as this is illegal in Denmark.

we are talking about millions of baht 

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It was a locals discount, not advertised on their website, I'm not old enough to be a pensioner.

I cant see the difference. if the Thai wife was able to show an ID that showed a local address she would have got the local discount. The same as the pink ID card gets you the thai local price most of the time.

I can give other examples, Something to do with a trip to frazer island, I got a discount and wife paid full, I lived at Bondi Beach for a while, as a resident I could park at the beach car park for free, tourists paid to park there.  Noosa Heads, several restaurants did a locals discount, one even did a dine for free if you bring in 5 tourists.

Read the red part about what you wrote, and then reflect on why Thailand is different. In nearly all cases, a pink card in Thailand (or Thai license) does NOT get you the local price. Only being born in Thailand (or acquiring Thai citizenship) gets you the Thai price. So now, reconsider your position.  Both you and your wife live in Australia together for 20 years. You both work. You both pay taxes and you are raising a family. There is zero difference between either of you. You go to a national park, and the ticketing agent says "Sorry. Your wife looks too "ethnic". She doesn't look like a native Australian. She has to pay double."

No amount of arguing the case on merits has any effect. The fact that she is local is entirely irrelevant. She looks Asian and can not produce a certificate of naturalization (driver's license with local address is irrelevant), so she pays more. That is the criteria. Oh, and because your friend, who has lived in the states for 30 years and pays no taxes at all, just happened to have been born in Australia, he gets in for a discount. No ID required. Lucky him. And probably me, who is not Australian, but happens to be white and smart enough to keep my mouth shut so they can't tell I'm not Australian. I get in for a discount too. But your wife, the mother of your children, one of the few in your group who is not a tourist, is charged double for no genuine reason.

That is the difference between offering discounts to locals based on residency (which is fine and accepted everywhere) and double charging anyone who is different (practiced in Thailand), which is not fine.

They are absolutely NOT the same thing. I get so tired of apologists saying they are.

5 hours ago, Monomial said:

In nearly all cases, a pink card in Thailand (or Thai license) does NOT get you the local price.

I will have to disagree, I have used the pink ID to get Thai price at 6-8 places around Pattaya, I cant actually think of anywhere that its been refused.  A drivers license not always accepted as lots of regular tourists have drivers license.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Western Prices posted in English: Child 300 baht / Adult 500 baht

Thai Prices posted in Thai: Child 150 chat / Adult 250 baht

Whenever I see Thai numbers in Thai Script instead of the actual numbers its because of something like this to try and hide double pricing. 

Try with your Thai Driving License.

Double pricing like this is in poor taste - Its a long ongoing debate, especially regarding parks etc.

It is in face illegal for a private enterprise to use dual pricing policies in Thailand - but that doesn't stop the greed. 

This is the filter down from the double pricing policies in parks etc... the government telling the population its ok to charge foreigners more for the same thing. 

And before people say its on a few $... its not about the money, and if you can't get that, you never will.

It doesn't affect me, I never intentionally go anywhere that double prices. Most places aren't even worth paying the lower price in my opinion.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Yes, nong nooch was a good visit, kids loved it, free for them and 200 for adults. Good value as it was well presented and well organised. (IMHO)

I agree. My Thai drivers license gets me the Thai price and others with me pay the "foreigner price". It's one of the few attractions worth the money in the Chonburi Province area.

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Your joking. You have any idea how many poor pensioners here barley existing month to month

Well what are they doing here then? And don’t tell me ‘they have families’ Etc. as they would have known they were sailing close to the wind well before the baht dropped.

If currency fluctuations (even big ones) cause you issues like that you should reassess your risk assessment planning 

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

Were these thousands of zero dollar Chinese tourists because Nong Nooch is Chinese owned?

Of course they won't be subject to dual pricing because they only spend money in Chinese businesses.

I do not believe it is owned by Chinese people unless it has changed hands very recently:

https://www.pattayamail.com/obituaries/nong-nooch-founder-dies-at-91-50113

17 hours ago, XenZen said:

i don't see the problem.  odds are the farang does have more disposable income.  don't you want to help Thailand???  Don't you feel bad they are poor?  Don't you appreciate the capitalism?  Don't you feel you were born into a better place with more options and more money?

200 baht.....  i've given away thousands for nothing in return.   maybe 15,000.   is it a lot?  no.  ok, there you go.

I just love sarcasm!!

18 hours ago, losworld said:

This would stop overnight if the western governments gave travelling Thai elites a dose of their own medicine but anyone with half a brain should realize by now that their governments don't represent their interests anymore. 

This is not about governments. It's about private enterprises' price gouging. As if they think non-Thais can't figure out how to read a few more symbols. It's an insult to our intelligence.

I don't mind governments giving something back to their citizens for their taxes paid. If you're from Illinois and want a Wisconsin fishing license or to enter a Wisconsin state park, you pay the non-resident rate. The theory is that residents have already subsidized the place with their taxes. No such rationale exists for private enterprises. It's greed and racism, because they think they can get away with it.

However, I say racist because we all know how poorly Thais follow procedures. I have witnessed a Thai taking a car full of Filipinos into a national park because the Thai lied and said they were all Thai. The ranger scanned the passengers and let them in without checking identification. It happens with Singaporeans and probably Chinese, too.

18 hours ago, XenZen said:

i don't see the problem.  odds are the farang does have more disposable income.  don't you want to help Thailand???  Don't you feel bad they are poor?  Don't you appreciate the capitalism?  Don't you feel you were born into a better place with more options and more money?

200 baht.....  i've given away thousands for nothing in return.   maybe 15,000.   is it a lot?  no.  ok, there you go.

If you want to base admission prices on disposable income then the rich Thais who turn up in their new Mercs and BMWs should also pay more than the villagers who arrive with 10 in the back of a pickup !

How does a foreigner paying double the price at Nong Nooch, or Sealife Siam Paragon, help the poor ? The extra money goes into the company profits not to the poor.

Speaking of Sealife, did you know that is owned by a British company ( Merlin Entertainments) ? How do you feel about a foreign company practicing racial discrimination and taking the money out of Thailand ? Do you think they should be allowed to charge “rich” Thais who visit their attractions in England ( or elsewhere ) double ? How about all foreigners ? Yes, let’s charge special prices for all Asians who want to visit the Blackpool tower, or go on the London Eye, just to name 2 of their many properties.

I know they certainly would not be allowed to have special prices for Thais at their properties in Australia, at Sealife Sydney and Melbourne, Mt Hotham and Falls Creek ski resorts.

Giving money to charity, or direct to people in need, is one thing but paying double prices to big business is completely different !!

18 hours ago, XenZen said:

So entrance fees should be based on income? How would you make that work? Show a letter from your bank perhaps? FYI, there are very many Thais who also have disposable income. Should they pay double as well?

18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Has anyone actually ever seen any pay attraction here that was worth the entrance fee? I dont think I have which is why I never go to them.

The hot springs at Pai are worth every baht.

I found it slightly ironic that right next to this thread is an advertisement for a water park, and when I checked it’s admission prices even the special reduced price for expats with work permit or drivers license is twice that for Thais .....

11 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I found it slightly ironic that right next to this thread is an advertisement for a water park, and when I checked it’s admission prices even the special reduced price for expats with work permit or drivers license is twice that for Thais .....

If its Ramayana Water park you are referring to there are 2 prices, resident (including expats) and tourist. A thai drivers license or a long stay visa etc, Thais and expats pay the same.

image.png.47ba11f3cd11d6235cfab85ddc552cef.png

17 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

The hot springs at Pai are worth every baht.

Now that I may try some day. I like the drive to Pai though I find the town itself very boring and overrated.

How much do the springs actually cost? And do they have dual-pricing?

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If its Ramayana Water park you are referring to there are 2 prices, resident (including expats) and tourist. A thai drivers license or a long stay visa etc, Thais and expats pay the same.

The Amazone site shows special prices for "Thais and Thai residents" but only if you select Thai as the language. If you select English as the language the prices are not visible.

try this in any western country and the company can close for XENOPHOBIA, but here it is a national sport... hope it hit them in the face one day, oh wait... just see the 1 percent that stole 99 percent of everything .... iphones, football, beer, bar girls and mia nois for the others for fun

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The Amazone site shows special prices for "Thais and Thai residents" but only if you select Thai as the language. If you select English as the language the prices are not visible.

Thats more dual advertising rather than dual pricing, lol

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Has anyone actually ever seen any pay attraction here that was worth the entrance fee? I dont think I have which is why I never go to them.

Depends if you enjoy moral outrage or not; many on TV appear to like expressing their rage at Thai injustices.

12 hours ago, Traubert said:

I don't know about ownership.  One attraction for the hoards must be the terrible food on offer there. No self respecting farang would touch the stuff,

30 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

people-never-learn-anything-by-being-told-they-have-to-find-out-for-themselves2.png.2d6a121ee1a39edea81cd8ae7ca575ef.png

what a  dumb saying. I've been told that illegal drug taking is bad for me and my future, I don't need to try it to accept that fact.  

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The comment from my Thai family about Nong Nooch was that it wasn't a garden and the animals were all concrete. What put me right off was the poor birds locked in dirty, small cages at the main entrance, disgraceful but hardly unusual in Thailand. Add the thousands rude and incredibly noisy Chinese tour visitors and its never again for me.  

Very nice birds in tiny cages, tiger on chain of 1 meter, loads of elephants there as well in the show....

The park is nice but they should treat the animals much better.

Archived