Typical dual pricing jerks

skippybangkok

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, CharlieH said:

Yes, nong nooch was a good visit, kids loved it, free for them and 200 for adults. Good value as it was well presented and well organised. (IMHO)

Yes. The only one perhaps. Been several times and coughed the farang price. The dinosaur museum near Kalasin also charges more for foreigners. Went once, thought it worth it, once you get inside. Outside was pretty tawdry. Would almost certainly be charged more for something similar in Europe. Not many elite locals or foreigners in that ( my) neck of the woods. Probably fair to charge locals less there given their ( lack of ) spending power. Might go again one day.

Just don’t go.

Plus, and I’m certainly not condoning it as it pisses me off too, but considering some Thais earn 15,000 baht a month if they want to visit a teddy museum at a cheaper price or a national park once a year I think on balance it’s pretty fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Dual pricing is just a fact of life, and it seems like people just simply do not get it, or maybe fail to admit it.

So, suppose i have 2 guests for dinner, i pour a glass of wine to the one i like more, and only half glass to the other, doesn't look good, does it ?

A lose-lose situation if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

Just don’t go.

Plus, and I’m certainly not condoning it as it pisses me off too, but considering some Thais earn 15,000 baht a month if they want to visit a teddy museum at a cheaper price or a national park once a year I think on balance it’s pretty fair.

Using your logic, I earn nothing a month as my VISA doesn't allow me to work.

I should get in free.

Which is what I essentially do, I either find a side entrance with no ticket booth, or I don't go in.

Parks are easy, there are always cycling and hiking trails in. 

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Using your logic, I earn nothing a month as my VISA doesn't allow me to work.

My logic is that dual pricing ranks as trifling in the grand scheme of things.  

California Disneyland and Florida Disneyworld  both dual price Thais and all foreigners as well as people from the other 49 states by giving residents of California or residents of Florida a discounted price.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201901/6519/

It does not make it right  in Thailand, it just tells you that there are "dual pricing jerks" everywhere .  If you think the complaining is the solution then  fine , but don't call it a fair complaint when you only fight it in Thailand and not everywhere else. 

^ But that is giving ALL locals a discount while ALL foreigners and other Americans pay the same normal price. That would be like Nong Nooch giving all residents of Chonburi province a discount no matter what the color of their skin while all other Thais and foreigners paid the same listed price ...that’s not what happens in Thailand !

At the door it is discriminating against Thai foreigners with dual pricing.

you can trim the fat but it's still the same meat . 

This is not a what if policy . Disneyland and Disney World  are charging Foreigners a different price based on where they are from.  Thai tourists do not qualify for the discount and the Original Poster does not qualify either.

He could make the exact same complaint about the Disney prices and no one would care about it. Apparently its only wrong if it happens in Thailand.  

14 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I do not believe it is owned by Chinese people unless it has changed hands very recently:

https://www.pattayamail.com/obituaries/nong-nooch-founder-dies-at-91-50113

Thanks for that. I was just trying to bust the myth that Chinese tourists in Thailand don't spend money and if they do, it only goes to Chinese businesses. Apparently there was thousands of Chinese at Nong Nooch according to our correspondent, during his visit.

Later in the thread someone arbitrarily decided that the Chinese pay less than anyone else at tourist sites. I can believe that they negotiate a group discount, but then again they do turn up by the busload.

Has no-one thought thought of sending a Thai for the tickets and keeping out of the way if a few baht matters so much?

To the Op.. don't worry you got away lightly. When I went to Teddy Bear museum they charged me the 500 and my Thai wife 500 as well..they proper did one on us.  My wife is pale skinned but spoke Thai to them so they had no excuse...I think we asked why and they said if you come with Farrang you have to pay Farrang price. We didn't see any posters around showing the prices so we assumed she was telling the truth

We got some good photos but were pretty annoyed about that when we looked on the internet later and saw 250.

Here in the USA, if a foreigner wants to go to a college/university, they pay waayyyy more than a US citizen, isn't that double pricing?

FYI/ The tuition fee for colleges are higher for out of state students ( or foreigners) because these state institutions are paid for by the state residents from taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sanctuary of Truth if another over priced rip-off that has duel pricing. I showed my work permit in my passport and still had to pay the full price ( pisses me off since I pay taxes in this country for nothing) ...And most of the “artists” ( wood carvers) in the temple are paid people ) below the minimum wage) from Laos & Cambodia.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

'A dose of their own medicine' ??? What medicine is that?

The medicine that makes one aware of extreme racism, xenophobia, fear of the outside world, and pettiness on a grand scale. 

For me, I don’t think the idea of 2 tier pricing is the biggest problem here. It’s the way ‘some’ discriminate solely by the skin colour. For example, I have seen families from China/Hong Kong/Malaysia NOT charged ‘Foriegners’ rates. I cannot think of a logical excuse for this (even though this is LOS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The medicine that makes one aware of extreme racism, xenophobia, fear of the outside world, and pettiness on a grand scale. 

Nah,  Maybe they should build a wall like other civilized ,non-petty ,non- extreme racist , non-xenophobic outside world countries do  .  I have contacts in United States and Israel who can help them with the necessary political rhetoric and design engineering to speed things up.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:04 PM, bbko said:
On 5/5/2019 at 12:41 AM, losworld said:
This would stop overnight if the western governments gave travelling Thai elites a dose of their own medicine but anyone with half a brain should realize by now that their governments don't represent their interests anymore. 

Whoa Horsey..... Backup  just a little bit and then read the American Embassy web page.

Thai tourists are required to pay an upfront fee of 160.00 US for a Thai tourist visa to The United States . Essentially for the same 30 days that Thailand  gave to almost 1 million American tourists for free  (2017 statistics I went there 2 times that year. ) .

I repeat    "FREE "  30 day visa on arrival  versus a mandatory 160.00 application fee for Thais"

Canadians and several other countries get an automatic 90 day free visa waiver to the US .

Is it racism or xenophobia when Thais need to be vetted through application fees for short stays and other countries don't? 

I was told  by a  TV poster in a previous thread that this was a poor comparison to the dual pricing concern because "he" had paid for an elite visa and that should be the balance to the nearly 1 million US tourists per year who don't need to spend an extra 160.00 US.....

Another TV member posted a photo of a   B.S. meter and asked me how much I pay to enter the United States  ???  I'm Still trying to comprehend the relevance.  I am a US citizen but I look out for my Thai friends the same way they look out for me. 

15 hours ago, richiejom said:

To the Op.. don't worry you got away lightly. When I went to Teddy Bear museum they charged me the 500 and my Thai wife 500 as well..they proper did one on us.  My wife is pale skinned but spoke Thai to them so they had no excuse...I think we asked why and they said if you come with Farrang you have to pay Farrang price. We didn't see any posters around showing the prices so we assumed she was telling the truth

We got some good photos but were pretty annoyed about that when we looked on the internet later and saw 250.

If they tried that shit with me i wouldn't go in. 1000 baht to see a few teddy bears !!

2 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Visa cost comparison not relevant imho

Of course it isn't relevant if  you don't have to pay it, but it is

relevant to the Thais who pay 160.00USD upfront visa fees to spend the same 30 days in my country (USA ) That I don't pay towards a  free 30 day visa to Their country. That's a great deal more than the 250baht that caused the op to start this thread.

Thais are required to pay 100.00CAD to apply for a Canadian tourist visa  for the same 30 days   that a Canadian tourist would not be required pay to visit for 30 days in Thailand.

I Would not need a visa to Canada for 30 days    . 2 people 1 pays 100.00 CAD

1 pays nothing = a dual price for the exact same thing.

The relevance "to me" of the fees (160.00 USD upfront non-refundable) that I don't have to pay up front to Thailand for a 30 day visa , means that (in my convoluted logic)  I have an extra 160.00 USD  in my pocket to spend as I choose when I get there as opposed to before I get there.  

I don't know if you read what I wrote completely but Thailand is not on the list of countries who can travel to USA (or Canada) and receive a free visa on arrival . However USA  and Canada are on Thailand's list for a free 30 day visa on arrival . 

dual pricing is the relevance to me if you choose to interpret it differently you are free to do so.     

In 24 years of Travelling to Thailand I have always declined patronizing

any establishment that charged any sort of dual price... it's no problem to just say no.

And whining about people whining on TVF will not change this practice, and yet you still do it...

As noted in the hundreds of other “Dual Pricing” threads, it is established that dual pricing does occur in Thailand, as it does in many countries. I personally do not believe whining about it on TVF will change this practice in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The relevance "to me" of the fees (160.00 USD upfront non-refundable) that I don't have to pay up front to Thailand for a 30 day visa , means that (in my convoluted logic)  I have an extra 160.00 USD  in my pocket to spend as I choose when I get there as opposed to before I get there.  

I don't know if you read what I wrote completely but Thailand is not on the list of countries who can travel to USA (or Canada) and receive a free visa on arrival . However USA  and Canada are on Thailand's list for a free 30 day visa on arrival . 

dual pricing is the relevance to me if you choose to interpret it differently you are free to do so.     

any establishment that charged any sort of dual price... it's no problem to just say no.

I get ur point but respectfully disagree and not related to this topic

To go to an extreme - if no visa required for ie Ethiopians to travel to USA, Australia etc - there would be an influx. There are costs in handling visas which are borne by the traveller

If Thailand was worried about a foreign influx - they wud instate the need for visas before travelling too

Ps thais can travel to Vietnam for free unlike most westerners

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Of course it isn't relevant if  you don't have to pay it, but it is
 relevant to the Thais who pay 160.00USD upfront visa fees to spend the same 30 days in my country (USA ) That I don't pay towards a  free 30 day visa to Their country. That's a great deal more than the 250baht that caused the op to start this thread.

Thais are required to pay 100.00CAD to apply for a Canadian tourist visa  for the same 30 days   that a Canadian tourist would not be required pay to visit for 30 days in Thailand.
I Would not need a visa to Canada for 30 days    . 2 people 1 pays 100.00 CAD
1 pays nothing = a dual price for the exact same thing.

Agree. Only yesterday I was with 100+ staff on a trip to a ‘floating market’ near Hau Hin.
2 Chinese Lecturers were not stoped entrance (to spend money!) but myself and another ‘westerner’ were (initially) refused free entrance to do the same.

Luckily it was dealt with ‘Thai to Thai’ and they preferred not to lose face by seeing 100+ customers walk out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived