Volunteering

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Maybe because foreigners would be "volunteering" in their wife's business.   ????

That's another thing...a couple can not participate in a business if one is non-Thai...how messed up is that?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

It has always been a mystery to me as Thailand has low unemployment...why they would not promote using farangs who would like to volunteer...just to feel good and useful...no reward needed...

Actually, many things Thais insist upon defy logic...????

Western ideas and philosophy will still come out even if it is volunteer work. That's the main reason. We we're all told when we came here that we are visitor's and to not change Thai Tradition . I still accept that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I separate my own trash for recycling, apart from that I wouldn't lift a little finger to help the Thais clean up the trash heap they call a countryside/beach side. They don't care, so neither do I. 

Recycling is a "scam" even in western countries and countries like Australia, which just had a good 60 minutes report on this. It makes us feel good, I suppose, but it shouldn't.

Now think if Australia is completely fumbling the ball when it comes to recycling (most of it is buried or is going to Malaysia supposedly), what do you think Thailand is doing?

I am not saying stop recycling btw. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, TRJ82 said:

You should not need a work permit to volunteer. A work permit is for those who work for money. Maybe this is why we do not have enough foreign volunteers as they need a work permit to clean up trash. Thais will not clean up their own environment and because foreigners need a work permit to do good for Thailand, Thailand will never clean up their trash unless the locals do it. Thailand is suppose to be the land of smiles, but, all I'm seeing is pollution and trash. 

What can be done to change this?

Obviously Thailand has enough foreign volunteers, or they would make it more easy to volunteer.

Why don't you just volunteer in any other country where they actually want your help? If you have fun collecting trash you could also just do this in your home country.

29 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Recycling is a "scam" even in western countries and countries like Australia, which just had a good 60 minutes report on this. It makes us feel good, I suppose, but it shouldn't.

Now think if Australia is completely fumbling the ball when it comes to recycling (most of it is buried or is going to Malaysia supposedly), what do you think Thailand is doing?

I am not saying stop recycling btw. 

Yep, you are right, but hey ho, makes me feel a bit better. 

4 hours ago, TRJ82 said:

What can be done to change this?

you get the mayor or chief of police of your town to join the group. in Hua Hin they all ride bikes on Sunday together.

even if it is just a group photo you put it on Facebook. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Trash Heroes clean the beaches here in Hua Hin every Sunday. Large number of farangs. No work permit that I know of.

I've heard about this, why do they do this?

They (not the foreigners) spend all week messing the beaches up only for a bunch of well intentioned but naive foreign suckers to come along and clean up after them.

If they (those who cause the problems) were to wade knee deep through garbage when visiting the beach then they will perhaps realise that there is an issue that needs addressing.

I live in Hua Hin but haven't been on the beach in years, I might as well be living 100 miles inland for all the difference it makes.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Please illuminate us how the farang member of the couple can participate without a WP...

Ah, you add things now 'without the workpermit', you omitted that earlier.

Of course wp is required.

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

You shouldn't, but I believe, technically, you do. 

Correct. The technicality is you could be doing a Thai persona out of a paid job so you can't work for free. Theoretically, that includes hanging a picture on your wall in your home, or mowing your own lawns.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Confused 1

You no longer need a work permit for unpaid volunteering. The law regarding this has been amended during the labour law change that was in the news a few months ago. I personally confirmed this with the director of the foreign employee division from the ministry of labour. We had a seminar with their representatives in March at the Danish Embassy. The same goes for unpaid internships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TRJ82 said:

A work permit is for those who work for money.

Where were you when they were inventing the silly sounds to make up that funny language? 

If you want to make all the rules somewhere, you have to find your own country to invent - this one is taken already... 

20 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It has always been a mystery to me as Thailand has low unemployment...why they would not promote using farangs who would like to volunteer...just to feel good and useful...no reward needed...

Actually, many things Thais insist upon defy logic...????

Welcome to Thailand

• Haha 1