Move Hua HIn to Jomtien ?????

YorkshireTyke

12 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

You need to look at the darkside - across the Sukhumvit highway and inland from Jomtien and Pattaya. Between 5 and 10 km from both. Plenty of good quality bars and other forms of entertainment. But if you develop a regular patronage of a bar on the seaward side, then get in good with the local bike taxis to pick you up and take you home. Not everyone likes it, but I've owned property there for several years and will never sell up and move on. Search the TV forums for more enlightenment.

Beach ???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Sometimes wives/harem members like separate rooms.

Dead money you can get a 40-50 sqm condo with sea views for the same price. 

Just make sure you rent on the Baht bus route unless you insist on riding a motorbike

23 minutes ago, madmen said:

Beach ???

I go there often. Like the OP, I have a bike (and a car, if I want to use it). I meander along the back country roads to avoid most of the bad traffic (unavoidable, however, once you get close to Jomtien). It's a nice enough trip, but the advantage of using your own bike is that Jomtien beach is veryyyy long, so you can ride along it until you find a desired spot. A beach on your doorstep would be very nice, but you're pretty much restricted to apartments, which the OP is 50-50 about.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Lifestyle choice, not financial.

I don't want to live in a 30sqm room. If condo I need a balcony or terrace to sit outside and a separate bedroom. For long term anyway, short term until I decide my future a studio will suffice if it has a balcony. I like to sit outside when on the internet, having lunch, coffee etc.

When watching TV I want to sprawl out on my sofa, not sit on my bed.

You will get a lot more than 30sqm!! for the same price as a house. Not trying to convince you but correct you. 

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo-for-sale-or-rent-in-metro-jomtien-condotel-jomtien-chonburi_3558894

If I were you I would rent monthly on Air BNB until you find your feet. 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

is Cha Am far enough?

I lived in
Hua-hin when i first came to Thailand,lasted about three years.

Now Cha-am and like it a lot better,everything i want is here.

Cha-am is alot more laid back and a lot cheaper if you look around a bit.

No matter what happened to the op,dont worry people around here soon forget.Everyone has his own life to deal with but of course i dont know what got him into this position.

Jomtien is ok also but if you want laid back try Cha -am.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

You will get a lot more than 30sqm!! for the same price as a house. Not trying to convince you but correct you. 

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo-for-sale-or-rent-in-metro-jomtien-condotel-jomtien-chonburi_3558894

If I were you I would rent monthly on Air BNB until you find your feet. 

I was basing my post on what you can rent around here from 5,000 per month which would be a small studio similar to a hotel room. That one in the link looks okay, at least the bed area is screened off. Just about any (clean) room would be acceptable for my first week and a kitchenette area would be a bonus as I tend to buy takeaways from restaurants for my evening meal and eat while watching TV.

take me with you!  been in Hua Hin five years. it's like the Thai girls have built in facial recognition.  "you bad man! everyone know!" 

It's been more than 10 years since I was in HH.  I was only there about a week, and felt this thing about everybody in your business right off.  I stayed about a km south of the main area (forgot the name) and when I went into town to, er, socialize, I'd have the moto drop me off a block or 2 away from the one street where the action was.  "I know you, you drink Sup-ite!"  "I know you, you walk around look for sexy lady" etc.  I remember one old fishwife, I don't know what her thing was, she sure wasn't a working girl (and if she was some you guys out there a truly sick!) say "I want know where you stay!"

What grossed me out was the horse crap on the beach, and in the surf.

• Like 1

take me with you!  been in Hua Hin five years. it's like the Thai girls have built in facial recognition.  "you bad man! everyone know!" 

I am pretty sure that " you know too mutt ! "

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

Naklua is an alternative in Pattaya that you could consider. If you are close to the main road you can find places that are very quiet. Noise can be a big problem in Jomtien.

The air quality is an issue. I visited Khao Lak (an hour North of Phuket) recently and the skies were truly blue. In Pattaya, not so but you have so much more in Pattaya at cheaper prices.

Good luck whatever you choose.

• Like 2

bahtboy, thanks for the advice and the tip about Andrew. My plan at the moment, depending on what happens this week, is to drive up on Friday so I may book a room/hotel in advance for 2 nights so I have somewhere to park the car and two days to look around. And find somewhere to watch the EPL on Sunday though I will bring my android box with me so may watch in my rented room.

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Why would a single guy want a house?

Because going up and down waiting for lifts, having a garden to sit in, possibly less noise from neighbors. I enjoyed living in.my condo, it served its purpose but am so much happier back in a house.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, losworld said:

Go to phuket jomtien and most of pattaya are now filled with 4-6 months dangerous air pollution and garbage littered year round.  Unless you are a sex addict or alcoholic you can have other choices lol.

You no money enuf to live Pattaya.  You excuse too mut.  You go now to phuket.  Work tour boat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bahtboy said:

I am a Brit and have lived in Jomtien Beach Condominium (Thai name Rimhaad Condos) near soi 10 Jomtien Beach Road for 12 years. I came here on recommendation and have been very happy here. The buildings are getting a bit old now but the whole complex is extremely well managed with lots of necessary facilities. Rentals in the two buildings beach side of Jomtien Second Road will start at 8,000 baht for a studio (32 sq.m). There are agents on the ground floors of both S1 and S2 buildings which are the ones nearest to the beach. My recommendation to the OP would be to find Andrew Kenrick's office (Kenrick Ventures) very close to Timbo's restaurant in S2 block and have a chat with Andrew. He has many condos and is a wonderful landlord. Nothing is too much trouble for him and he really knows how to treat his renters.

I must add that I have never had a problem with noise or air pollution here. Soi dogs are not a problem recently. I think a lot have been removed by City Hall. The condos are directly on Beach Road and baht buses run every 30 seconds to Pattaya and further on to Naklua. 10 baht to Pattaya, and 20 baht past Pattaya Klang (Central Pattaya Road). I have been tempted to perhaps live up North Thailand which I love, but there is nothing I cannot get (shopping, bars, girls, massage, entertainment, restaurants, Farang company, etc.) living here in Jomtien and I've realized that I can always take small holidays to my favourite parts of Thailand. 

The things that are missing in Jomtien are a big supermarket (but Tesco Lotus is quite close), and a hospital (but Pattaya is only a 20 minute baht bus ride away). 

Negatives...It's a holiday resort and many Thais come for the weekend, hence Beach Road can get extremely slow for traffic at weekends. We have to put up with ignorant Russians who are still coming to terms with the outside world and civilized customs, but recently the Russian tourists have diminished a bit. Chinese don't seem to be around in big numbers near my condo.

I hesitated to write the above because I feel that I have found a wonderful place to live and I don't want it to get too crowded, but the OP seems to be a decent sort of guy and I'm sure he would find this place as good as I have found it. 

I know quite a few people all very happy at Rimhad, be a good starting point for the OP with its location, close by facilities and easy commuting

• Like 1

OP. I think you could find some places in Jomtien similar to your location in Hua Hin. Similar prices etc.

Lots of central condos at the northern end around the immigration soi (27 buildings with view talay in the name, lol) , a couple of sois with bars, Rompo bar complex (shutting down in the future, possibly becoming a BigC/Tesco). 

Lots of places up and down the beach, 2nd rd and connecting sois.

Two main roads that lead from Jomtien back to Sukumvit Rd, Soi Watboon, chaiapuk, both have little village type areas (7/11, bank. dentist, restaurants/bars etc) a kilometre back from the beach.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

BTW I am a 58 y.o Brit, retired 7 years and do very little ! I don't play golf, I usually spend 1 - 1.5 hours walking on the beach most days, an hour on the internet, and very little else

Then Jomtien sounds perfect for you.

PS:  The beach in Jomtien is not even close to anything you have in Hua Hin.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Forget Bang Saray its a one pony town with nothing going on and everything you need have to go to Pattaya or //

I would said exactly the same thing for Jomtien. Forget, too many things missing and it's dead.

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Big C and Malls only 5 minutes by car/bike. 

That's a problem, they are 5 km away so you need to use a bike or taxi, while inside Pattaya you are always at walking distance of a BigC, without counting the Tops, FriendShip and other smaller supermarkets.

22 hours ago, losworld said:

jomtien and most of pattaya are now filled with 4-6 months dangerous air pollution and garbage littered year round. 

You are not living in Thailand, do you? 

i dont know why it is such a problem for you not to be able to stay in HH.

If its just a bad break up, to hell with her, you should not care if she is in the same town.

If she has someone looking for you with a gun, then that is a different story.

I have been to Jomtien a few times, to visit a girl there normally.

Personally, I would not live there for all the tea in China.

I know it does not have a beach, but if you want a friendly place to go, lovely people, great scenery,  cheap and quality accom, then go to Chiang Rai.

I know its far, but I loved living there.

Only down side is the pollution from early in the year to around this time.

Apart from that, its great.

I only came back to HH because I am a beach bum.

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I would said exactly the same thing for Jomtien. Forget, too many things missing and it's dead.

That's a problem, they are 5 km away so you need to use a bike or taxi, while inside Pattaya you are always at walking distance of a BigC, without counting the Tops, FriendShip and other smaller supermarkets.

Makro, lotus Tepperasit and Big C are no where near 5kms away...less than 5 minutes on a moped

lived in Cha-am for almost 6 years, it's nothing special.. but it's quiet and nice, got bored of it once or twice (mostly from living alone a few months)

first time, I moved up North for a bit then the air pollution brought me back

about to move out again, not even considering Hua Hin, too much traffic and bs.

however, Mueang Phetchaburi is where I will likely go. you can be a little bit out of the city center (like Ban Lat) and get to Big C (or Robinsons) quite easily if you need that.

you could always go live somewhere near Hat Chao Samran if you really want to go to the beach.

if I really wanted to go on the eastern side, I would think of Rayong maybe?..

trust me, doesn't matter where you go, you will always end up with a bunch of people watching you practically 24/7 and making inane gossip about you.

36 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Makro, lotus Tepperasit and Big C are no where near 5kms away...less than 5 minutes on a moped

Do people still do manual shopping? Ive been using tesco on line for years, couldn't be any easier 

• Like 1