Move Hua HIn to Jomtien ?????

YorkshireTyke

On 5/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, NCC1701A said:

is Cha Am far enough?

On 5/6/2019 at 11:23 AM, YorkshireTyke said:

Unfortunately no.

Remember Jomtien is only a short ferry ride from Hua Hin.

Go native, head for Isaan. Khon Kaen is worth checking out.

PS: I live in hua Hin!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, a10ams said:

kk is a good choice but given the current pollution problem much of the year i would rule it out same as pattaya...

I would stay at Nuklea or north Pattaya ... not in the thick of the night life, but still close to major shopping and nightlife should you need it. I think Jomtien would be fine also, but a bit more removed from the shopping areas.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

Do people still do manual shopping? Ive been using tesco on line for years, couldn't be any easier 

I like to select my own fruit and check sell by dates on things like milk ... one major downside of online grocery shopping.

7 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I like to select my own fruit and check sell by dates on things like milk ... one major downside of online grocery shopping.

I buy fruit from the local carts when I go for a daily walk. Vegies are no problem they always arrive in good condition . Never had problem with expiry dates but can buy milk at 7/11. Its the heavy stuff like veges (3kg) cans and meat, drinks eg I buy a 12 large bottles of beer as well, no way that will all fit on a scooter

Edited by madmen

15 minutes ago, madmen said:

I buy fruit from the local carts when I go for a daily walk. Vegies are no problem they always arrive in good condition . Never had problem with expiry dates but can buy milk at 7/11. Its the heavy stuff like veges (3kg) cans and meat, drinks eg I buy a 12 large bottles of beer as well, no way that will all fit on a scooter

Looks like you also still do a manual shop, unless you have your own personal C3PO walking alongside you? 

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Looks like you also still do a manual shop, unless you have your own personal C3PO walking alongside you? 

Just fruit. on my daily walk. I dont do milk and cheese I order from food for foreigners on line. 

2 weeks of shopping in one hit, would mean several trips on a bike , traffic, cues, wasting time..there are much smarter ways to utilize time.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I would said exactly the same thing for Jomtien. Forget, too many things missing and it's dead.

That's a problem, they are 5 km away so you need to use a bike or taxi, while inside Pattaya you are always at walking distance of a BigC, without counting the Tops, FriendShip and other smaller supermarkets.

In HH although I have a car I never use it, it is my luxury item! If you don't know HH the roads are narrow and busy so hard to park anywhere. I go everywhere on my PCX, the beach, local shops (Tesco Express, 7/11 etc), restaurants for my evening takeaway but all these are on Soi 94/88 and all only a few minutes ride. if after 5 pm when ordering my meal I walk to 7/11 and buy 2 3pack of big Leo which fit under the seat. It's only on the few evenings I go out that I walk as I won't ride my bike when drinking.

So in the short term I will need to rent a scooter.

BTW I've not severed my ties here as I still own my house.

Also looking at Danang in Vietnam and Kampot in Cambodia if this doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, a10ams said:

Yes, I used the ferry for a 2 night stay in July last year.

3 or 4 years ago I went to Korat, Khon Kaen and Udon for a few days in each but wasn't impressed with any of them. Didn't see many expats.

On 5/6/2019 at 6:07 AM, YorkshireTyke said:

Innocent ? Been travelling 3 times a year from 2003 -2012 then retired here and lived permanently since Feb 2012.............................

Yet you have never heard of koh Chang or Bang Saray..........

4 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

Nope. No air pollution in Pattaya. Ever. Just look at my photo from a couple of months back. Lovely clean air all year round. hahaha.

Plenty of threads on here.

If you intend being here during high season I strongly suggest you do some research regarding it.

I keep sayimg I will move out at that time but never seem to get around to it.

I have two air purifiers going 24/7 for most of the polluted season.

Some years it is worse than others.

Simon.

IMG_1056.jpg

Tis just a bit of morning mist is what it is guv.

soon blow away with the sea breeze up your nostrils!

On 5/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, madmen said:

Why would a single guy want a house?

a very large space. privacy. large yard. never having to see anyone in a hallway or common area or hear any sounds of your neighbors right outside your door. that makes me more crazy.  

and Thai women love the idea of a house. they start talking about all the changes they would make to the kitchen.  :clap2:

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, madmen said:

Why would a single guy want a house?

I have only ever lived in a box in the sky once, many years ago in Bangkok, not for me, I like windows that open onto the garden, watching the garden change with the seasons, having doors i can walk directly outside through to my own pool, having a car in the garage and lots of space for office, bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen, a dining room - enough? ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CGW said:

I have only ever lived in a box in the sky once, many years ago in Bangkok, not for me, I like windows that open onto the garden, watching the garden change with the seasons, having doors i can walk directly outside through to my own pool, having a car in the garage and lots of space for office, bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen, a dining room - enough? ????

You miss out on stunning sea views all the way to koh larn and a fresh see breeze on the balcony. Dont even need AC when open the front door door  behind a security screen, fully maintained pool, gym and shops and restaurants inside the complex.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

You miss out on stunning sea views all the way to koh larn and a fresh see breeze on the balcony. Dont even need AC when open the front door door  behind a security screen, fully maintained pool, gym and shops and restaurants inside the complex.

some people avoid other people like the plague. it just depends on your personality. 

i have my motorcycle in my living room, on display. that makes me happy.  

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 1

Well, I lived here since 2016 in Jomtien, I've back home for a year against my will but when I came back, most Rompho market bars closed, I don't think the reason old fox moved but if you are a fat pig please don't come because our bodies send two kinds of signals. 

Positive and negative signals. For instance I have noticed most bar girls on Soi 16 back of walking street where Arabs hang out most women their are obese. So, obesity is threat to humanity and more dangerous than nukes in my humble honest sincere opinion.

38 minutes ago, madmen said:

Each to their own, after 40 years working at sea had my fill of sea views, I like space, lots of it ???? 

Enjoy maintaining the pool and garden, don't need a gym as get enough exercise doing that out in the fresh air though do have an mainly unused home gym.

Don't need shops very often and prefer to eat at home where I know what I am eating rather than out where I am being fed something that yields the highest profit.

No need to hide behind security screens, the walled garden is enough, as I said each to their own.

36 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have my motorcycle in my living room, on display. that makes me happy.

I also have a motorcycle in living room ???? I enjoy looking at it - I used to enjoy riding it, but self preservation has taken over.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, Pilotman said:

Depends how near to that dump Pattaya you want to be. 

Without total fluency in Thai I wouldn't recommend Bang Chang.   

I like Bang Saray  for being quaint but have no information about it. 

It is however close to "that dump Pattaya" so if you want something not Thai it may be available.    Villa, Tops, Food Land and such are readily available in Pattaya.

Pattaya ain't no village!

On 5/6/2019 at 3:25 PM, bahtboy said:

I am a Brit and have lived in Jomtien Beach Condominium (Thai name Rimhaad Condos) near soi 10 Jomtien Beach Road for 12 years. I came here on recommendation and have been very happy here. The buildings are getting a bit old now but the whole complex is extremely well managed with lots of necessary facilities. Rentals in the two buildings beach side of Jomtien Second Road will start at 8,000 baht for a studio (32 sq.m). There are agents on the ground floors of both S1 and S2 buildings which are the ones nearest to the beach. My recommendation to the OP would be to find Andrew Kenrick's office (Kenrick Ventures) very close to Timbo's restaurant in S2 block and have a chat with Andrew. He has many condos and is a wonderful landlord. Nothing is too much trouble for him and he really knows how to treat his renters.

My intention at the moment is to drive over after breakfast on Friday and stay in a small hotel/GH for 2 nights but as I will be staying longer I thought I may as well put the 2k or so for 2 nights hotel stay into a condo rental or maybe just one night in a hotel as I would like to see the condo not book online. I've tried googling Andrew Kenrick and Kenrick Ventures but only come up with an outfit in USA. Also googled Rimhad condo rental and came up with a few agents and emailed a couple about availability but no replies yet as I would like to line up a few to see at the weekend. The rates for short term, one month, are nearer 10-12k rather than 8k which requires a 6 or 12 month contract. Also noticed one or 2 had big old TV's in them which surprises me bearing mind how cheap flat screens have become in the last few years as I need a HDMI input as I will bring my android box with me for my UK tv.

• Like 1