my salery into my wife bank

Ok so looking for help ..ill try to simplify this as much as i can ..i live in france ..i spend 6 mths in thailand with my family the other i work in europe ..i have a salery that comes from australia for work that i do as a self employed guide i invoice the company and they send my money by electronic transfer ..now i dont actually need the money here i need it in thailand to take care of my family i have enough funds from other companies to live here the 6 months  basically they normaly send salery here then i just take it to thailand ..  Now the Question is can i legaly ask my company to pay my salery into my wifes account and we declare tax on the money and pay the tax there .my wife has called the tax office who have said as long as tax is paid on money coming into account no problems ..has anyone done this and does it work ..really would like some help on this folks ...tks 

With the countries involved (Thailand, Aus, France and the nebulous Europe(?), I don't know the answer to the question.

But I'd suggest getting an accountant's advice because you may not want to pay taxes in Thailand.  An accountant can tell you where to have your salary deposited that minimizes taxes and keeps you legal in all of the countries involved.  Otherwise, you may end up paying out 1/3- 1/2 of your salary unnecessarily- and still be on the tax hook in some other country.

It depends on tax treaties and tax law in all the countries.  And that's not a simple question.  You may get advice on here from someone who's "been doing it that way for years" and doesn't realize he's going to be in a world of hurt when it catches up with him.

As far as I understand it: Foreighn income is not Taxable in Thailand. My suggestion (and to keep it simple): In the age of e-banking it is easy to send money to someone somewhere. Send as much as your Family in Thailand needs every month.

While doing so, OP may want to look into his Tax-Liabilities in various other countries before considering sending money to someone before the Tax-Bill(s) arrive.

OP also mentiones that he has funds to provide for him and family for 6 months (only). Clearely indicating that OP is undercapitalised in the first place.

The main question remains: How long has OP been married? This might be the deciding factor when it comes to "sending my salary to the account of my wife".

20 hours ago, swissie said:

OP also mentiones that he has funds to provide for him and family for 6 months (only). Clearely indicating that OP is undercapitalised in the first place.

Under capitalized for what?   The guy's working. 

If he's a tax resident of Thailand, foreign income is taxable if brought into the country the same year it's earned.  Which begs a couple of question that need an accountant.  1) Since his wife is a tax resident and the money would be going into her account, how would that be treated?  2) (and this is a controversial one and I'm betting it's going to bite some folks sooner or later) Since money is fungible, do the tax folks consider money that you made last year to be distinct from money that you make this year?

I don't have the answers- especially in light of tax treaties and all the countries involved.  That takes an accountant, one that works the international demographic.

https://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

I've transferred salary into a joint account here directly from my overseas employer, this money clearly marked on transfers as wage earnings in my name only.

I earnt the money off-shore, paid local taxes and was personally present in Thailand for less than 6 months per year for each earning year.

No additional tax thus far after 7 years.

On 5/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, Harveyboy said:

i have a salery that comes from australia for work that i do as a self employed guide i invoice the company and they send my money by electronic transfer

If you are self-employed, it sounds like you own a business, and send an invoice to the Australian company, which then pay the invoice without withholding any tax.

Why would you change to have the money transferred directly into Thailand?

Are you income taxed of the money in France?

Would the money be taxed in Australia if you change that set-up?

The tax-rules for Thailand is that foreign income is taxable, if taken (transferred) into the country same (calendar) year as earned, if transferred the following your foreign income is considered tax-free savings.

Do the Australian company ask for a TIN (Tax Identification Number) for the person/account-owner to receive the payment (i.e. double taxation agreement between Australia and Thailand)?

Do you have a Thai bank account of your own?

If you wife has other income in Thailand, it might be extra taxable income – depending of your wives tax-income – whilst if you don't have other taxable income in Thailand, the money, or part of the money, might be under the tax-limit.

Which country are you tax resident in, i.e. stay 183 or more days in?

You say "can i legaly ask my company to pay my salery into my wifes account", is "my company" the Australian company you work for, or is it your own European self-employed business?

Lots of question, so not simple to answer.

????

On 5/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, impulse said:

With the countries involved (Thailand, Aus, France and the nebulous Europe(?), I don't know the answer to the question.

But I'd suggest getting an accountant's advice because you may not want to pay taxes in Thailand.  An accountant can tell you where to have your salary deposited that minimizes taxes and keeps you legal in all of the countries involved.  Otherwise, you may end up paying out 1/3- 1/2 of your salary unnecessarily- and still be on the tax hook in some other country.

It depends on tax treaties and tax law in all the countries.  And that's not a simple question.  You may get advice on here from someone who's "been doing it that way for years" and doesn't realize he's going to be in a world of hurt when it catches up with him.

Tks ...i live ..work in France 7 months ..but tour in Belgium ..and spend 1 month of that in Spain ..so probably spend 150 ...160 days per year actualy in France itself ..approx 210 days in thailand ...i get paid per tour by my company in Aus direct into my account in france where i declare the tax ..then the money ends up going back to thailand ..my company send the funds in Euros which at the moment has no value with the baht  i was looking at the company sending the money in Aus dollers  1 better rate i believe also not double handling having to get the money from euros again back to thailand ..i was told that awife and husband income can be classed as same in thailand   been married 2 years my wife has a job with the government ansd a fixed wage per month  ..what i was really asking was   can i have the money sent into my wifes account where she can declare the tax on her income joint earnings ..not sure if all this is legally posdible   dont want to break any laws as im looking to move there in the future ...again any ideas appreciated 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, impulse said:

Tks ...i live ..work in France 7 months ..but tour in Belgium ..and spend 1 month of that in Spain ..so probably spend 150 ...160 days per year actualy in France itself ..approx 210 days in thailand ...i get paid per tour by my company in Aus direct into my account in france where i declare the tax ..then the money ends up going back to thailand ..my company send the funds in Euros which at the moment has no value with the baht  i was looking at the company sending the money in Aus dollers  1 better rate i believe also not double handling having to get the money from euros again back to thailand ..i was told that awife and husband income can be classed as same in thailand   been married 2 years my wife has a job with the government ansd a fixed wage per month  ..what i was really asking was   can i have the money sent into my wifes account where she can declare the tax on her income joint earnings ..not sure if all this is legally posdible   dont want to break any laws as im looking to move there in the future ...again any ideas appreciated 

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you are self-employed, it sounds like you own a business, and send an invoice to the Australian company, which then pay the invoice without withholding any tax.

The tax-rules for Thailand is that foreign income is taxable, if taken (transferred) into the country same (calendar) year as earned, if transferred the following your foreign income is considered tax-free savings.

Do the Australian company ask for a TIN (Tax Identification Number) for the person/account-owner to receive the payment (i.e. double taxation agreement between Australia and Thailand)?

If you wife has other income in Thailand, it might be extra taxable income – depending of your wives tax-income – whilst if you don't have other taxable income in Thailand, the money, or part of the money, might be under the tax-limit.

You say "can i legaly ask my company to pay my salery into my wifes account", is "my company" the Australian company you work for, or is it your own European self-employed business?

????

1 hour ago, Dania2019 said:

Just get your own account - easy 

Tks ..mate i do have a bank account but thought putting it in the acvountbof avthai national would be easire as far as paying tax on the funds 

3 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

...again any ideas appreciated 

Get the advice of a competent accountant.  Don't rely on any advice from someone who may be getting himself into decades of trouble without knowing it.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

????

On 5/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, impulse said:

Tks ...i live ..work in France 7 months ..but tour in Belgium ..and spend 1 month of that in Spain ..so probably spend 150 ...160 days per year actualy in France itself ..approx 210 days in thailand ...i get paid per tour by my company in Aus direct into my account in france where i declare the tax ..then the money ends up going back to thailand ..my company send the funds in Euros which at the moment has no value with the baht  i was looking at the company sending the money in Aus dollers  1 better rate i believe also not double handling having to get the money from euros again back to thailand ..i was told that awife and husband income can be classed as same in thailand   been married 2 years my wife has a job with the government ansd a fixed wage per month  ..what i was really asking was   can i have the money sent into my wifes account where she can declare the tax on her income joint earnings ..not sure if all this is legally posdible   dont want to break any laws as im looking to move there in the future ...again any ideas appreciated 

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I've transferred salary into a joint account here directly from my overseas employer, this money clearly marked on transfers as wage earnings in my name only.

I earnt the money off-shore, paid local taxes and was personally present in Thailand for less than 6 months per year for each earning year.

Hello mate i think the difference is that your tax is taken at source where as mine is self employed this is why i thoughtnit might be possible to pay the tax on it in thailand 

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Does Aus know what you're doing?  I know some guys who did similar for over 10 years, only to get a very rude awakening when it finally caught up with them.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:58 AM, swissie said:

As far as I understand it: Foreighn income is not Taxable in Thailand. My suggestion (and to keep it simple): In the age of e-banking it is easy to send money to someone somewhere. Send as much as your Family in Thailand needs every month.

While doing so, OP may want to look into his Tax-Liabilities in various other countries before considering sending money to someone before the Tax-Bill(s) arrive.

The main question remains: How long has OP been married? This might be the deciding factor when it comes to "sending my salary to the account of my wife".

".now i dont actually need the money here i need it in thailand to take care of my family i have enough funds from other companies to live here the 6 months"

Where in the post is it "clearly indicating that he's "undercapitalized?" 

22 hours ago, impulse said:

Under capitalized for what?   The guy's working. 

If he's a tax resident of Thailand, foreign income is taxable if brought into the country the same year it's earned.  Which begs a couple of question that need an accountant.  1) Since his wife is a tax resident and the money would be going into her account, how would that be treated?  2) (and this is a controversial one and I'm betting it's going to bite some folks sooner or later) Since money is fungible, do the tax folks consider money that you made last year to be distinct from money that you make this year?

I don't have the answers- especially in light of tax treaties and all the countries involved.  That takes an accountant, one that works the international demographic.

https://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

No funds do not come into it i have a very good wage other than that of the funds i wanted to send directly from Aus

2 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

It sounds as though you’re attempting to avoid a higher tax rate by ‘paying’ your wife your salary directly. Sounds dodgy and illegal to me ????

No not really as if paid into my wifes account i cannot put expanses against it ..which i can do here  would not work out much differant  just the point of it being sent here euros ..from Aussie dollers  costs on transfers ..then back to baht ..also as i posted looking to move there on a more permanent basis better for some of my funds to go directly ..not trying to rob the poor old tax man Even tho it would be good... i dont want any problems with Thai goverment just an easier solution to this back and forth of funds and better rates on my cash ..im on here asking for any help that anyone can provide if its a no go then so be it im a tour guide not a financial guru as you might have worked out. Ha.. if you can think of anything ..appreciate it   tks 

13 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

".now i dont actually need the money here i need it in thailand to take care of my family i have enough funds from other companies to live here the 6 months"

Where in the post is it "clearly indicating that he's "undercapitalized?" 

Yes didnt mean only have funds for 6 months i have a good income ..i meant for the 6 months i spend here i dont need more   sorry if it wasnt clear 

14 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

It sounds as though you’re attempting to avoid a higher tax rate by ‘paying’ your wife your salary directly. Sounds dodgy and illegal to me ????

Be good if that was the case but not the intention 

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

It's perfectly legal for someone self employed or runs a business to employ someone. I employ my wife as an accountant/manager in my business and pay her accordingly. She could also be self employed and invoice me for the services and pay her tax liability in her resident country - which is what I suspect the OP is trying to do in a roundabout way. So Op if you are simply trying to reduce your tax liability in the EU and make funds available in Thailand then get your wife to invoice you for services (accounting, administration, virtual reception services etc) and she just declares her earning in Thailand and will pay tax there. Your turnover and tax liability will be reduced in the EU perfectly legally and you will have tax paid funds available in Thailand. Thailand has double taxation agreements with most countries and the tax authorities can exchange information but if your wife is paying tax on her earnings from you in Thailand there is not a problem. It's not that complicated but you are trying to do it in a complicated way.

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

Thanks for your reply, but still a bit confusing to me.

AU$ exchanged to € exchanged to baht, is same-same as AU$ exchanged to baht, apart from the euro-exchange fee. If value of € is going down, you get more € for you AU$, based on AU$ keep level with US$ and Thai baht. If you are talking cash, the sell/buy rate difference is slightly greater.

Seems like you are saying that the money is untaxed in Australia, and you declare the income for taxation in France, where you state that you live and work 7-month, i.e. 210 days. Then you cannot live 210 days also in Thailand. Where are you registered as tax-resident?

If you are not tax-resident in Thailand, you can – to my knowledge – transfer whatever you wish legally into your own Thai account, as long as you are not "white-washing", and each transfer is less than equivalent to $50,000.

You can be partly tax-resident in France, and full tax-resident in Thailand at the same time, if you live more than 183 days in Thailand. That's where double taxation agreements makes sense, so one is not taxed twice of the same income, and – depending of the agreement – one can in some cases claim the lower tax rate to be used in the country with higher tax. Income tax in Thailand is lower than income tax in France; however income physically earned in France might be fully taxable in France, but not doubled taxed in Thailand, even brought in the same year as earned. That's for example often the case with retirement pension.

What is your nationality, French, or EU-citizen working in another EU country, or foreigner with a work permit?

If you are working inside EU, a country there might wish income tax from the money earned from physical work there, no matter from where the salary/money originates; i.e. at the moment you declare your Australian income for taxation in France. How will you justify to work, and pay your expenses in France, without an income?

As I said before, if your Thai wife has a foreign income – transferred into Thailand same year that its earned – it should be income taxable in Thailand. The rates for Thai income tax is here, but in short, for income over 150,000 baht a year one pay 5%, over 300,000 baht 10%, over 500,000 baht 15%, over 750,000 baht 20% etc.

I think that your major legal concern should be France, rather than Thailand.

????

Thailand and Australia have had a tax treaty since 1989. This means that you cant be taxed on the same earnings in both countries.

France and Australia have a tax treaty which came into force only last year, and it means the same, you wont be taxed in both countries.

With that in mind, your problem is currency exchange. that's not my area, tax is my area.

I would say, open a multi currency account with a Thai bank and get the lot paid in there in your own name. Draw Euros from it when you are leaving Thailand for France and leave the Aussie dollars cooking for a favourable exchange rate. I have no advice on how best to minimise exchange costs but maybe you could sort something with the bank where interest ameliorates the exchange charges. The killer is usually the fee, not the rate. That could be open to negotiation but bear in mind banks are inflexible.

You could also try an accountant who specialises in FX with an escrow account but you'd need 100% reliability and I'm not sure that's a good idea in Thailand.

34 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply, but still a bit confusing to me.

AU$ exchanged to € exchanged to baht, is same-same as AU$ exchanged to baht, apart from the euro-exchange fee. If value of € is going down, you get more € for you AU$, based on AU$ keep level with US$ and Thai baht. If you are talking cash, the sell/buy rate difference is slightly greater.

Seems like you are saying that the money is untaxed in Australia, and you declare the income for taxation in France, where you state that you live and work 7-month, i.e. 210 days. Then you cannot live 210 days also in Thailand. Where are you registered as tax-resident?

If you are not tax-resident in Thailand, you can – to my knowledge – transfer whatever you wish legally into your own Thai account, as long as you are not "white-washing", and each transfer is less than equivalent to $50,000.

You can be partly tax-resident in France, and full tax-resident in Thailand at the same time, if you live more than 183 days in Thailand. That's where double taxation agreements makes sense, so one is not taxed twice of the same income, and – depending of the agreement – one can in some cases claim the lower tax rate to be used in the country with higher tax. Income tax in Thailand is lower than income tax in France; however income physically earned in France might be fully taxable in France, but not doubled taxed in Thailand, even brought in the same year as earned. That's for example often the case with retirement pension.

What is your nationality, French, or EU-citizen working in another EU country, or foreigner with a work permit?

If you are working inside EU, a country there might wish income tax from the money earned from physical work there, no matter from where the salary/money originates; i.e. at the moment you declare your Australian income for taxation in France. How will you justify to work, and pay your expenses in France, without an income?

As I said before, if your Thai wife has a foreign income – transferred into Thailand same year that its earned – it should be income taxable in Thailand. The rates for Thai income tax is here, but in short, for income over 150,000 baht a year one pay 5%, over 300,000 baht 10%, over 500,000 baht 15%, over 750,000 baht 20% etc.

I think that your major legal concern should be France, rather than Thailand.

????

22 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Thailand and Australia have had a tax treaty since 1989. This means that you cant be taxed on the same earnings in both countries.

France and Australia have a tax treaty which came into force only last year, and it means the same, you wont be taxed in both countries.

With that in mind, your problem is currency exchange. that's not my area, tax is my area.

I would say, open a multi currency account with a Thai bank and get the lot paid in there in your own name. Draw Euros from it when you are leaving Thailand for France and leave the Aussie dollars cooking for a favourable exchange rate. I have no advice on how best to minimise exchange costs but maybe you could sort something with the bank where interest ameliorates the exchange charges. The killer is usually the fee, not the rate. That could be open to negotiation but bear in mind banks are inflexible.

You could also try an accountant who specialises in FX with an escrow account but you'd need 100% reliability and I'm not sure that's a good idea in Thailand.

Thanks never thought of this so if my company ..so if my agent in  Australia send my salery to thailand untaxed but i put the money into a thai multi currency account and is taxed then i cannot be taxed again in france   .is that the case ...PLEASE  be patient with me im sorry ive never looked into anything like this before i know things i may ask may seem stupid but in my own field im actualy Quite good ..thanks for all your help there are probably loads of op on thinking what a pratt   but if i knew the answers i wouldnt be asking   so tks again mate ...

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

It's perfectly legal for someone self employed or runs a business to employ someone. I employ my wife as an accountant/manager in my business and pay her accordingly. She could also be self employed and invoice me for the services and pay her tax liability in her resident country - which is what I suspect the OP is trying to do in a roundabout way. So Op if you are simply trying to reduce your tax liability in the EU and make funds available in Thailand then get your wife to invoice you for services (accounting, administration, virtual reception services etc) and she just declares her earning in Thailand and will pay tax there. Your turnover and tax liability will be reduced in the EU perfectly legally and you will have tax paid funds available in Thailand. Thailand has double taxation agreements with most countries and the tax authorities can exchange information but if your wife is paying tax on her earnings from you in Thailand there is not a problem. It's not that complicated but you are trying to do it in a complicated way.

Just want to say thanks im banging my head against a wall trying yo sort this stuff myself..good to have people like yourself and some of tbe other guys on here that actually know what they are talking about ..tks mate 

8 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Thanks never thought of this so if my company ..so if my agent in  Australia send my salery to thailand untaxed but i put the money into a thai multi currency account and is taxed then i cannot be taxed again in france   .is that the case ...PLEASE  be patient with me im sorry ive never looked into anything like this before i know things i may ask may seem stupid but in my own field im actualy Quite good ..thanks for all your help there are probably loads of op on thinking what a pratt   but if i knew the answers i wouldnt be asking   so tks again mate ...

2 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Just want to say thanks im banging my head against a wall trying yo sort this stuff myself..good to have people like yourself and some of tbe other guys on here that actually know what they are talking about ..tks mate 

9 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

3 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

So im english working self employed contracting to Australian companies i pay tax in france ..im mariied to a thai national who has a saleried job with the thai govenment ..not white washing by any means my agent in Aus will recieve monthly invoices for my work which of course are in the system   not hidden thats not what im trying to do   had some great feedback lots of options now i think to look at so want yo thank all you guys and again anything you think might be of help is very appreciated 

42 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Yes. If your Aussie employer pays you gross, i.e. untaxed, into a Thai bank account you will only be taxed at the Thai end. France and Thailand have had a tax treaty since 1974 so again you will only be taxed once.

I think just for your own peace of mind, get every payment centralised in Thailand and then try and sort out the FX charges.

Depending on how much you are talking about offshoring is another option, but lets not complicate things too much now.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Does Aus know what you're doing?  I know some guys who did similar for over 10 years, only to get a very rude awakening when it finally caught up with them.

I dont live in Australia and I dont have any assets there and I'm not an Australian citizen. But you are correct, Australia can be rather harsh on people who are non resident if they decide at a later date to return to Australia. 

3 hours ago, Harveyboy said:
  On 5/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, impulse said:

Tks ...i live ..work in France 7 months ..but tour in Belgium ..and spend 1 month of that in Spain ..so probably spend 150 ...160 days per year actualy in France itself ..approx 210 days in thailand ...i get paid per tour by my company in Aus direct into my account in france where i declare the tax ..then the money ends up going back to thailand ..my company send the funds in Euros which at the moment has no value with the baht  i was looking at the company sending the money in Aus dollers  1 better rate i believe also not double handling having to get the money from euros again back to thailand ..i was told that awife and husband income can be classed as same in thailand   been married 2 years my wife has a job with the government ansd a fixed wage per month  ..what i was really asking was   can i have the money sent into my wifes account where she can declare the tax on her income joint earnings ..not sure if all this is legally posdible   dont want to break any laws as im looking to move there in the future ...again any ideas appreciated 

Hello mate i think the difference is that your tax is taken at source where as mine is self employed this is why i thoughtnit might be possible to pay the tax on it in 

You need to pay tax in the country where the income is derived and if that differs to your country of permanent residence then you will also have tax obligations there. The best Aussies can hope for these days is declaring themselves non resident for tax purposes, if they meet the criteria. The 90 day rule is long gone.

Archived