Wouldn't it be better to apply for a new 1-year visa instead of renewing?

Is it possible to simply apply for a new 1-year visa instead of renewing and going through all of the nonsense about year-round money in the bank if you're doing it the 800,000 baht method, not the income method?

• Like 1

You mean, step through a TVE to a 90-day O, and then extend that?

Perhaps by only aging 800K for ~ 75 days? Or having as few as two or three qualifying foreign transfers?

Maybe once? After that, maybe not without an extended period of time outside Thailand?

I suspect most "hacks" will be quickly identified and halted. Especially when highlighted here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Is it possible to simply apply for a new 1-year visa instead of renewing and going through all of the nonsense about year-round money in the bank

You are assuming the only penalty for non compliance of the new rules will be having to start from scratch - I doubt it, I think more likely a ban for 1-3 years which is why using an agent could be very risky for upcoming renewals - nobody knows what the penalties will be

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Not quite on subject but speaking to a senior Bangkok Bank official this morning they are expecting to see "changes" to the "new" immigration requirements in the not too distant future because of the huge problems being caused to the banking system of all Thai banks trying to meet with the "grey/gray" immigration requirements. Rather vague but it is certainly a major bone of contention as far as the banks are concerned.

Don't shoot the messenger, simply what I was told. Could even be for the worse, nothing surprises anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Not quite on subject but speaking to a senior Bangkok Bank official this morning they are expecting to see "changes" to the "new" immigration requirements in the not too distant future because of the huge problems being caused to the banking system of all Thai banks trying to meet with the "grey/gray" immigration requirements. Rather vague but it is certainly a major bone of contention as far as the banks are concerned.

Don't shoot the messenger, simply what I was told. Could even be for the worse, nothing surprises anymore.

It would not surprise me if they scrapped the new seasoning rules and reverted back to the old ones as they make no sense at all or just keep the minimum balance of 400k for all extensions and dump everything else

as for the monthly deposits - perhaps a total yearly of 400k transfer into Thailand would make more sense and maintain minimum balance of 400k 12 months a year meaning you are hitting 800k every year and maintaining a balance, this satisfies all requirements - even combo - simple - this would be my choice

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smedly said:

It would not surprise me if they scrapped the new seasoning rules and reverted back to the old ones as they make no sense at all or just keep the minimum balance of 400k for all extensions and dump everything else

Things only get harder in Thailand, wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make you keep 800k in the bank all year round.

Or pay 800k for a government guarantee that they gave back when you left the country.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you writing about doing.

You could go back to your home country and apply for a new OA long stay visa every year if you wanted to. But you can get a total stay from a OA visa if used correctly.

Exactly what I am thinking of doing when my WP expires. I would rather deal with Thai's who have overseas experience.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Things only get harder in Thailand

Don't agree

The compromise I suggested above in bold would be easy to maintain and satisfies all eventualities - 800k yearly - 400k 12 month seasoning and yearly transfers from outside Thailand - it is exactly what I was doing before the new rules and easily workable and easy to check

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Vaguely ominous predictions based on inside information from personal acquaintances, who always seem to be "senior", indirectly related to Immigration should certainly be viewed somewhat circumspectly.

What "huge problems" are being created? What is the "major bone of contention"?

Finally, what changes are this senior Bangkok Bank official expecting?

Making changes, before the most recent regulations have been in effect for barely a year seems ludicrous. Having banks drive immigration requirements seems even crazier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Is it possible to get a one year in neighboring country with 400k+? Thinking Savanakhet consulate in particular.

Since you wrote 400k baht I assume you mean one based upon marriage. You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet with no financial proof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

Actually, I meant doing it right here in Thailand. I converted my original 90-day visa to a long-stay (retirement) visa without having to leave the country. I was only thinking about it to get around the stupid 'you have to prove you have enough money to be here, but you're not allowed to spend it' nonsense.

You did not convert your 90 day non-immigrant visa to anything. What you have is an extension/permit to stay on the non-imm, based on retirement. It is not a visa itself, the non-imm remains the visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Don't agree

The compromise I suggested above in bold would be easy to maintain and satisfies all eventualities - 800k yearly - 400k 12 month seasoning and yearly transfers from outside Thailand - it is exactly what I was doing before the new rules and easily workable and easy to check

And what do you feel is the likelihood of your suggested compromise being implemented??

You can't avoid the new rules for 800k in Thai bank by leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit (necessary to void current permission to stay or to avoid overstay if you do not renew before expiration date), obtaining a Tourist Visa in another country to get 60 day permission to stay or entering visa exempt for 30 days.

You will have to apply for a non-Immigrant O Visa at Thai Immigration (fee 2,000 baht), obtain the visa which will give you a 90 day permission to stay, apply after 60 days for retirement extension (fee 1,900 baht), show you have had 800k on deposit in Thai bank for previous 2 months, keep it there for another 3 months, and then keep a minimum of 400k afterward until 2 months before next renewal when it must again be 800k.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

You are assuming the only penalty for non compliance of the new rules will be having to start from scratch - I doubt it, I think more likely a ban for 1-3 years which is why using an agent could be very risky for upcoming renewals - nobody knows what the penalties will be

"......which is why using an agent could be very risky for upcoming renewals - nobody knows what the penalties will be".

I doubt very much they'd kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. The difficulty in conforming to the new rules especially in proving to TI where your pension money originates is forcing a lot of people to use that method. Job done!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

Agree. The point of the exercise it not to sell more Visas, since Immigration does not get any tea-money for those. 

And as there are no rules about any "time out" or similar between a new Non-O Visa and re-starting the extension process, every office will make up whatever it wants.  They might anyway, even if a clear rule was issued.

We have to wait and see what happens when folks with a missed mo-payment, or who had to spend "too much" of their "in the bank" money, try this next year.

perhaps a total yearly of 400k transfer into Thailand would make more sense and maintain minimum balance of 400k 12 months a year meaning you are hitting 800k every year and maintaining a balance, this satisfies all requirements - even combo - simple - this would be my choice

What you suggest is clearly better.  Where the problem lies, is those writing the rules don't want to make it clearer and better.  The goal is to trip up as many folks as possible, resulting in tribute payments from each.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could go back to your home country and apply for a new OA long stay visa every year if you wanted to. But you can get a total stay of 2 years from a OA visa if used correctly.

How so?  I have always read and thought that 15 months was the maximum.

43 minutes ago, superal said:

That is what I am doing in a couple of days time , in the UK . Quite straight forward really , just have to show you have the state pension , application form , passport and 2 recent photos . All placed into a recorded delivery bag with another for return . Generally 3-4 working days and delivered to my house . That non o multi entry can give 15 months of stay . Every 90 days when you have to do a border run , treat yourself to a week away in another Asian country .   None of the money in the bank hassle etc . and look forward to a change of scenery every 3 months .

Thanks, but if I read the criteria correctly applicants also need Police clearance & GP cert. I'm not sure how easy that would be after a decade or two abroad & dropping off UK radar simply by not living there unless they have to.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Thanks, but if I read the criteria correctly applicants also need Police clearance & GP cert. I'm not sure how easy that would be after a decade or two abroad & dropping off UK radar simply by not living there unless they have to.

Those are required to apply for a OA long stay visa. He plans on getting a multiple entry non-o visa.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could go back to your home country and apply for a new OA long stay visa every year if you wanted to. But you can get a total stay of 2 years from a OA visa if used correctly.

Ubonjoe, have you heard of this raising any issues? Being seen as a 'hack'?

8 minutes ago, oznomad said:

Absolutely not.

Many people have been doing it for years. Some people that I know have already gotten a OA visa instead of applying or an extension this year due to the changes.

14 minutes ago, oznomad said:

Thai Immigration has discussed making health insurance mandatory for the OA visa.    If the cost for the compulsory insurance is high, the "hack" will no longer exist.

30 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

How so?  I have always read and thought that 15 months was the maximum.

The 1-year O visa based on retirement can last up to 15 months.

The 1-year OA visa can last up to two years.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Things only get harder in Thailand, wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make you keep 800k in the bank all year round.

Or pay 800k for a government guarantee that they gave back when you left the country.

No, it will be quite simple.  No money in the bank at all.  When you go for an extension, you simply had over the 800K to the IO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1