How to get rid of nesting Mynah birds?

jak2002003

There is a pair of  Mynah birds that have been trying to nest on a high up ledge above our patio.

The nesting stuff they bring in each day simply keeps piling up and falling off the ledge and covering our patio and outdoor furniture... EVERY DAY. 

I though they would have given up by now as they can't get the nest to stick to the ledge and they have been doing this for about a year and a half already!

Just lately its got a lot worse as the amount of junk they are bringing has increased.  Every day we have to go out and sweep up a couple of basket loads of sticks, feathers, plastic junk and even dried up dead birds (weird thing to make a nest out of). 

Its getting annoying now.. and they are also pooping on all the outdoor furniture and windows and are very noisy too in the mornings.

We have tried to scare them off with a broom, they just sit on the wall shouting at us.  We have tried some pigeon spike defenders.. that actually helped them stick the nest down better!!!  

Any ideas how to stop them trying to nest there?  Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, jumbo said:

buy a few rubber or plastic snakes and put them around the patio, birds will stay away

Surely you are joking, we have plastic snakes everywhere and the birds just sit next to them.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Surely you are joking, we have plastic snakes everywhere and the birds just sit next to them.

Why have you got plastic birds too?

(btw Plastic Birds Too is not a Hitchcock sequel)

27 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Its getting annoying now.. and they are also pooping on all the outdoor furniture and windows and are very noisy too in the mornings.

They are not mynah's from China are they .. 

I know insects hate cinnamon, maybe if you scatter a bit of cinnamon in or around their nest that will do the trick, sound crazy i know, but not as crazy these bird's noise can make one out to be...

Nice one. ????

Pigeon spikes are awesome. They often lack sufficient rigidity for their intended purpose, but they do make that gratifying SQUISH when you've unleashed your trusty ol' spike maul. And, besides, there's now so much disgusting raw material available for their manufacture....

40 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I know insects hate cinnamon, maybe if you scatter a bit of cinnamon in or around their nest that will do the trick, sound crazy i know, but not as crazy these bird's noise can make one out to be...

They seem to go for 300 thb a kilo at the market, as a snack..????

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

So why put the snakes there in the first place????

Need to change their positions every now and then. Birds stop being afraid of them when the pattern becomes stationary and familiar. Switching between rubber snakes set and dinosaurs one seems to help.

1 minute ago, jumbo said:

Colin's obviously done it as a bird lover. I remember him mentioning about pulling birds in before.

12 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I didnt put them there Thai workers did.

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

Need to change their positions every now and then. Birds stop being afraid of them when the pattern becomes stationary and familiar. Switching between rubber snakes set and dinosaurs one seems to help.

I wish i could change their positions, but impossible for me to get up there.

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Colin's obviously done it as a bird lover. I remember him mentioning about pulling birds in before.

I once pulled an old bird called Mag-Pie .. Robbed me blind she did .. 

IMG_20190509_080804.jpg

We have problems with what looks a type of blackbird sihtting on our drying laundry, hung cd's etc and they don't care. The only time they move is when the cats are patrolling the garden. As for the mynah birds they get a free pass because of the many times they have alerted me to snakes in the garden and they are too intelligent to be taken in by plastic birds or snakes.

I had the same problem. They are too smart. Two years they drove me mad, dropping stuff into my pool. I destroyed their nest, sometimes with eggs many times, but they wouldn’t give in.

in the end I bought a bb pistol from beach road. Plastic pellets. It worked. You have to physically hit them. Flapping your arms around will only scare them while you are doing it and they will return.  

If they are roosting you can grease where they stand, it’s messy but they hate it.

Heavy wheel-bearing grease stays put pretty good. Once they move on you can clean it up.

The more viscous the grease is, the less of a mess it will make.

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

What about some real snakes then? Or learning cat language?

the first part of the video is an aggressive kitten not wanting to share, not as the guy talking thinks it's saying the food is nice lol. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to try the toy snakes first.  

I think that might attract them though... as when snakes are about in the garden all the birds flock to see it and make a lot of noise attacking it.. which attracts more birds.

I would prefer the plastic owl.  Think that might scare them off more.  But have never seen one for sale.

Shame I can not rent a hawk or real owl to come and eat the 2 birds and be done with it.

18 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to try the toy snakes first.  

I think that might attract them though... as when snakes are about in the garden all the birds flock to see it and make a lot of noise attacking it.. which attracts more birds.

I would prefer the plastic owl.  Think that might scare them off more.  But have never seen one for sale.

Shame I can not rent a hawk or real owl to come and eat the 2 birds and be done with it.

I think you can do just that...

http://www.birdcontrolthailand.com

Archived