Schoolgirl prepares for 'Genius' contest in US after getting Thai ID card

23 minutes ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I’m really happy for her.

But the main thing is that Thailand seems to only make decisions based on the country being shamed on social and world media. 

No, Thailand is in the process of giving all stateless kids Thai citizenship

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So her Myanmar parents can stay in Thailand without visas, or do they have to get some sort of visa and pay as I and thousands of other farangs have to?  Do they have some special dispensation?

I dont know their personal circumstances , but Thailand invaded Burma in WW2 and many refuges fled from Burma to Thailand to escape the fighting and some Burmese aligned themselves with the Thai forces , as they wanted an independent Shan state , the border kept moving and at the end of WW2 , many Burmese were stranded in Thailand .

They are allowed to stay in Thailand legally , as Burma didnt accept them back and they cannot be deported to anywhere , they are allowed to stay in Thailand with travel restrictions , unable to work or open bank accounts or anything .

Read up on the history of the area

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, Thailand is in the process of giving all stateless kids Thai citizenship

And how do you know this? Seems to run counter to the real sentiment of them not even making a 4th class as a person. It seems they don't care unless it makes them look bad.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

I dont know their personal circumstances , but Thailand invaded Burma in WW2 and many refuges fled from Burma to Thailand to escape the fighting and some Burmese aligned themselves with the Thai forces , as they wanted an independent Shan state , the border kept moving and at the end of WW2 , many Burmese were stranded in Thailand .

They are allowed to stay in Thailand legally , as Burma didn't accept them back and they cannot be deported to anywhere , they are allowed to stay in Thailand with travel restrictions , unable to work or open bank accounts or anything .

Read up on the history of the area

I know a Great kid who just graduated with my son, who has a Japanese dad and a Thai Yai mom. 
He still has to go renew his 3rd class id and is restricted in may ways. All the other kids treat him normal, but you know he feels the pain of it all not being allowed to be Thai. Kid is normal and dad has money and he lives in a rather nice big new house, and still is looked down upon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

But the main thing is that Thailand seems to only make decisions based on the country being shamed on social and world media. 

If Thailand did seem to follow what you suggest, the junta would have rolled over last month and the Red Bull heir would have been arrested a long, long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So her Myanmar parents can stay in Thailand without visas, or do they have to get some sort of visa and pay as I and thousands of other farangs have to?  Do they have some special dispensation?

All this needless conjecture from an article about a stateless girl being granted Thai citizenship? Is such musing possibly driven by some misguided resentment about one's homeland giving away benefits to homeless refugees and otherwise itinerant foreigners? Or is it simply another flawed conflation of one's self-styled 'rights' to park one's self-important, all-knowing but non-contributory butt in the Land of Smiles?

• Like 2

from Genius Olympiad website:

DEADLINES

• The Project Application will start on December 15, 2018. The link will be available on this website, all applications are made online.
  • The Project Application Deadline is March 1, 2019 for all individual/school applications.
  • The Application deadline for Affiliated International Fairs is March 15, 2019.
  • The Application deadline for Affiliated National (U.S. and Canadian Only) Fairs is April 15, 2019. 
  • Project Finalists will be announced on our website on March 26, 2019. 
  • Participation Registration Deadline is May 1, 2019 to be eligible to participate in. 

I assume she doesn't have either passport, nor US visa yet...

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A 17-year-old schoolgirl received her first national ID card on Friday, ending her life as a stateless person and paving the way for her to represent Thailand in the US.

But only given because it has some benefit for Thailand !!!

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And how do you know this? Seems to run counter to the real sentiment of them not even making a 4th class as a person. It seems they don't care unless it makes them look bad.

I have stateless Family from the area and I take a lot of interest in the developments of them receiving   Thai citizenship .

Prayrut made an announcement last year that all stateless kids will receive citizenship by 2024

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I have stateless Family from the area and I take a lot of interest in the developments of them receiving   Thai citizenship .

Prayrut made an announcement last year that all stateless kids will receive citizenship by 2024

Let’s hope but don’t hold your breathe. That would be like them making residency easy for the foreigners who have family and live here. If at all it will be completely selective. 

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Let’s hope but don’t hold your breathe. That would be like them making residency easy for the foreigners who have family and live here. If at all it will be completely selective. 

Previously it was selective , only the kids that did well in school were given Thai I.D

The new procedures I.D will be given to all kids that were born in Thailand , completed schooling and have no affiliation with any other Country .

As with all things in Thailand though , you never know what will happen next

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I know a Great kid who just graduated with my son, who has a Japanese dad and a Thai Yai mom. 
He still has to go renew his 3rd class id and is restricted in may ways. All the other kids treat him normal, but you know he feels the pain of it all not being allowed to be Thai. Kid is normal and dad has money and he lives in a rather nice big new house, and still is looked down upon.

Well said- that's Thailand to a tee

17 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

The opposite is true  in this  case. That she  was "stateless" due to being born to non Thai in Thailand and for that being possibly deprived of representing Thailand at an International venue was  not of  shame to Thailand but of credit  for validating her as a citizen.

I wish her well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Previously it was selective , only the kids that did well in school were given Thai I.D

The new procedures I.D will be given to all kids that were born in Thailand , completed schooling and have no affiliation with any other Country .

As with all things in Thailand though , you never know what will happen next

Hope for the best for the kids. Mine were lucky to have a THAI mom and lucky for me US also recognized them. I just don’t hold a lot of faith in things here. 

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

Not sure Thai immigration law recognizes “anchor babies”

Nothing to do with any immigration laws , as they are not immigrants .

They have the legal right to remain in Thailand , its not necessary for them to keep going to immigration to ask whether they can stay in Thailand a bit longer and to get visas and extensions.

They are in Thailand permanently , you are here until your permission to stay expires

Nothing to do with any immigration laws , as they are not immigrants .
They have the legal right to remain in Thailand , its not necessary for them to keep going to immigration to ask whether they can stay in Thailand a bit longer and to get visas and extensions.
   They are in Thailand permanently , you are here until your permission to stay expires

They are stateless persons. They have no right to remain in Thailand, even if born here. If this were the case, the Rohinga would be occupying Thailand, not Myanmar.

I have the right to own a condo, open a bank account, own a car, travel on airplanes. Tell me about the rights of the stateless people?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, Sealbash said:

They are stateless persons. They have no right to remain in Thailand, even if born here. If this were the case, the Rohinga would be occupying Thailand, not Myanmar.

I have the right to own a condo, open a bank account, own a car, travel on airplanes. Tell me about the rights of the stateless people?

You are wrong , they have the legal right to remain in Thailand , they have Government documentation giving them the right to remain , *Pink paper" they call it  .

They can own land outright and also the house on it , you cannot do that .

The Rohinga have no right to stay in Thailand , as the Thai Gov doesnt recognize them .

The stateless people will all soon have Thai citizenship , thats something that you will never get , they will be Thai and you will still be a foreigner .

Its their land , not yours