Are UK prepaid letters accepted by the Thai Post Office

GuyDow

I just got some voting forms from the UK relating to the upcoming elections to the European Parliament. Included in the pack was an envelope marked as "Response Payee Grande Bretagne" and "No stamp required".

Clearly the intention is that the envelope doesn't need to be stamped. However, does anyone know if the Thai Post Office would agree that no stamp is needed? 

This document suggests that they are indeed valid here.

https://www.bicyclestamps.de/uncategorized/Svarsloesen_Royal_Mail_International_Response_Services.pdf

Thailand is listed on page 5 but things do seem somewhat confusing as it's not mentioned anywhere else.

There's a picture of the beast on page 14.

But of course, TiT and your local office may not understand. It doesn't hurt to bung a stamp on it, it's not like it will break the bank.

EDIT More information here 

https://www.royalmail.com/business/services/sending/returns/international-business-response

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This document suggests that they are indeed valid here.

https://www.bicyclestamps.de/uncategorized/Svarsloesen_Royal_Mail_International_Response_Services.pdf

Thailand is listed on page 5 but things do seem somewhat confusing as it's not mentioned anywhere else.

There's a picture of the beast on page 14.

But of course, TiT and your local office may not understand. It doesn't hurt to bung a stamp on it, it's not like it will break the bank.

EDIT More information here 

https://www.royalmail.com/business/services/sending/returns/international-business-response

That's interesting because a few years ago whilst living in Bangkok I tried to send a UK pre-paid.  The staff looked at it but obviously they did not understand it.  After a discussion with presumably their supervisor it was "no can accept".   As it was what I anticipated I was not surprised but tried again possibly 5 years ago with the same outcome. 

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

That's interesting because a few years ago whilst living in Bangkok I tried to send a UK pre-paid.  The staff looked at it but obviously they did not understand it.  After a discussion with presumably their supervisor it was "no can accept".   As it was what I anticipated I was not surprised but tried again possibly 5 years ago with the same outcome. 

Was it an international reply envelope like I linked to above?

The regular UK pre-paid envelopes definitely don't work unless you put a stamp on it, which can't hurt anyway for the minimal cost.

• Like 1

Just now, KhunBENQ said:

Would it be acceptable to put this envelope into another neutral envelope?

Assuming you give it all the necessary stamps etc for international air-mail I see no reason why not.

Just now, Crossy said:

The regular UK pre-paid envelopes definitely don't work.

The first was not but the last one was. But in any event to post it  and registered is usually around only 140 -180 baht, depending on weight and up to now ( touch wood) they tend to arrive at the UK destination within 10 days max and sometimes only 4.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

For the avoidance of doubt, this is what our OP is talking about

eu_overseas_voters.png

And a page pertaining directly to our OP

https://www.royalmail.com/corporate/electoral-services/eu-referendum

Yes, that is exactly what I have. Apart from the address of course.

I won't bother asking my local post office. They are lovely people but they do have their blind spots. For example insisting that Wales is part of England; Great Britain or UK no good, had to have England as last line of address.

I'll be in Hua Hin next week and I'll ask the Post Office there. Given the number of ex-pats in the locality they may have seen these before.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. It is pretty much as I expected. It ought to be acceptable but you never know !

16 hours ago, GuyDow said:

I'll be in Hua Hin next week

The election is on the 23rd, so don't delay (unless you're voting "remain", in which you've got all the time in the world). 

Edited by Oxx
  • Confused 1

Went to my local post office, a small branch in Kahar, Khonkaen on Saturday morning with one of these and they weren't sure but the lady in charge took a photo of it and then rang someone and asked about it and then no charge the letter was accepted for posting but this is a post office i use regularly and always very efficient

On 5/11/2019 at 6:20 AM, Crossy said:

The regular UK pre-paid envelopes definitely don't work unless you put a stamp on it, which can't hurt anyway for the minimal cost.

Actualy I think its more about the understanding at your local Post Office...example Pattaya Soi Post office accept them without hardly a glance...they just put an air mail sticker on it.

Yes. Most every country in the world have a general government postal department that have an agreement. Postage paid on an envelope is just like a stamp. You go into a post office and you can buy a postage pain envelop, International or domestic. Different destination countries different post office prices. Similar to when you get a letter from your bank, it is post paid with a bank stamp which has a code or number on it. The bank has to pay the post office a fee like invoice.

overseas post office departments invoice the country where it was posted from. Like the UK postal services, all letters etc are scanned   For destination and the computer has recorded the amount the UK postal service has to pay the airline if air mail and the amount it has to pay the overseas country for delivering it.

Just to complete the story, when I was in Hua Hin I went into the Beach Road Post Office opposite the police station. The clerk and I had a brief conversation about the envelope, she assured me it would be OK and lobbed it into the bin with the other outgoing mail. So it's gone now and, who knows, it might reach its intended destination.