Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

rooster59

Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1557548784_1-org.jpg

Brit expat Iain Richardson was rushed to hospital with head injuries from the accident. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A British expat is in hospital with serious injuries after the motorbike he was riding struck a roadside power pole on Thepkrasattri Rd just south of the Heroines Monument early this morning (May 11).

Lt Col Kitiphum Thinthalang of Thalang Police was notified of the accident at 3:10am.

Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-teacher-seriously-injured-as-motorbike-hits-power-pole-71388.php#1aEBtKcp0L1l1lMW.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-11

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Perfectly straight road but managed to hit a power pole beside the road at 3 AM. Drunk, fell asleep...? Hope for a speedy recovery though.

And quite likely wearing no helmet. That being the case hardly setting a good example of safety to his pupils.  Another Go-fund me coming along maybe

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

And quite likely wearing no helmet. That being the case hardly setting a good example of safety to his pupils.  Another Go-fund me coming along maybe

Try actually reading the full article

1 minute ago, madmen said:

I did. You clearly assumed that the helmet laying in the road come of his head.  I would suggest that it could have been on his handlebars or even in a basket - now that would be unusual -not !!!

17 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I did. You clearly assumed that the helmet laying in the road come of his head.  I would suggest that it could have been on his handlebars or even in a basket - now that would be unusual -not !!!

Spot on! From own experience, this is exactly where my helmet was actually spending most of its riding time (except on intercity highways). At 3 AM in a town, it would definitely be right there.

50 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

after the motorbike he was riding struck a roadside power pole on Thepkrasattri Rd just south of the Heroines Monument

It was the motorbike’s fault. 

25 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Ah yes, I've come across your type before.

A field with hoof-prints. Most people think "horses". You think Zebras!

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby.

Could have had the skidlid perched on his head without securing it.  Hard to tell where it was but it most definitely wasn't secured by the chinstrap.

I wish him well but there might be more on this story to come.  

34 minutes ago, madmen said:

The article said: 

Which to anyone with even the slightest sense of comprehension, says he was not wearing the helmet
But if he was, he sure as heck wasn't wearing it properly, I.e. with the strap secured properly.

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

The article said: 

Which to anyone with even the slightest sense of comprehension, says he was not wearing the helmet
But if he was, he sure as heck wasn't wearing it properly, I.e. with the strap secured properly.

You know that , I know that and nearly all other posters know that . However there are some that indeed can not comprehend the obvious or else are just on this thread to bicker and bate.

If a motorcyclist, either expat, farang or local, can think further than from 12 to noon, they protect themselves with a helmet which has a DOT and/or EC-2205 approval. If you only have to protect a coconut, the standard Thai helmet is sufficient.

I always wonder how many "farang" have had a motorcycle licence in their own countries, very few I believe. 
I see farang ride the same way Thai's ride very badly don't take notice of the rules same as the Thai's. 
I have lived here 15 years driving 450,000 miles in one car. Had one accident whilst stationary on my drive 1 mt off the main straight Rd. Two motorbike with 3 riders hit my car in the side killed two of them and the other a broken leg. They were on the wrong side of the road racing towards the traffic 18 years old, no licence no "tax" no helmets, Police said it was obviously it was my fault. 

My son ( 52 )came here no UK licence at all, was a teacher 8 years had 7 accidents 3 bad ones and the last one drove out in front of a car killed the passenger lost his left leg, nothing happened with the police, he's now claiming benefits in England along with all the others who don't deserve it. 
The system will never change here most farangs who ride motorbike never ridden one in there life until come here consequently there drive like the Thai's. 
Yes I have both car and bike licences in UK and Thailand.            

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well it would have helped if you had mentioned that and NOT SAY PROB NOT WEARING IT. 

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

The article said: 

Yes, with a slight sense of comprehension, however with a full sense of deduction it can only be said that we don't know, a serious head injury could result in the helmet being damaged to the point where it comes off the head.

A European based motorcycle crash study investigated 90 crashes where it found that in 11 cases (12 per cent), the helmets had come off during thecrash.

52 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

The article said: 

I read this:

"Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby."

Presuming the police and rescue workers were not on the scene immediately, I would think there is a chance that either the victim or the first on the scene may have removed the helmet beforehand.  I don't know, but don't see it as a certainty either way.

I did note that in the previous incident (if it was him) he was wearing a helmet. 

Archived