Is it worth learning Thai

robint

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, of course its worth learning, I just wish I was better at learning.

I still find it very difficult, I cant hear or reproduce the tonal differences, 5 minutes later I have forgotten the word anyway.

I think its a cop out to say its not necessity, not worth it, I choose not to learn etc.

Good point.  Though my wife takes care of my everyday translation requirements and surely shields me from 99% of the nonsense I would otherwise encounter and may well be aggrieved with.  

We were in the food court a few days ago, out here in the boonies, and as usual pushed my wife forward to order my lunch in Thai and was most surprised that the young lady spoke absolutely perfect English.  She was extremely modest in stating that she only spoke a little English.  

Ignorance is total bliss.  

Edited by OneEyedPie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

One thing I dont fully understand is when people suggest learning to read Thai, as you will be able to speak Thai.

I can read Indonesian, every single word, because its the same alphabet. I still cant speak or understand Indonesian.

It's something you can do on your own without paying a Thai teacher.

Most of the Thai teachers I hired were completely hopeless.

Apart from BoonMark who worked for AUA in ChiangMai, he was brilliant.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

If i dated non educated/lower class thai women who spoke atrocious english - as many i see in relationships with/married to foreigners do, or if i lived in a village miles from anywhere where no one spoke english then sure i would learn thai as there would be obvious benefits

These ladies aren't speaking Thai, so still no reason to learn.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Good point.  Though my wife takes care of my everyday translation requirements and surely shields me from 99% of the nonsense I would otherwise encounter and may well be aggrieved with.  

We were in the food court a few days ago, out here in the boonies, and as usual pushed my wife forward to order my lunch in Thai and was most surprised that the young lady spoke absolutely perfect English.  She was extremely modest in stating that she only spoke a little English.  

Ignorance is total bliss.  

I had a similar thing the other day, wife tasked me to buy something at markets while she went to the bathroom. It took all of my linguistic and memory skills to get through "hello, do you have, can I have 3, how much, thank you" and be understood. Only to have the little old Thai lady start up in perfect English wanting to discuss quantum physics (ok, it was the weather but could have been quantum physics).

It left me feeling very inadequate. I would find it very worthwhile to have better Thai.

4 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

I was so tempted to say that your wife already told me that, but I won't.  ????

If she told you in Thai, I would be none the wiser, thats part of the problem, lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Show them a photo of the item you want to buy on your smartphone.

No skills required in any language, also works with/for deaf/mutes.

Yes, but dont you want to get beyond that, I know I do

14 years here and I've never got beyond the basics, for taxi drivers and in restaurants. As there is no requirement to speak Thai in Bangkok, where I live and work, or in the main tourist areas, I see little point. My 4 year old speaks it quite well though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Some people are just good at learning languages. Mrs had a student who learned to read, speak and write in a couple of years. When she left the country she wrote her a page and a half of A4 thank you letter in Thai. i could never manage that in 50 years!

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Show them a photo of the item you want to buy on your smartphone.

No skills required in any language, also works with/for deaf/mutes.

Google Translate work well too.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

When I would move to Spain, I'd learn Spanish; it's that easy. No comprente? 

I really am beyond learning languages at my time of life due to lack of motivation and inclination.  I defer to my wife who loves to learn and I merely provide the encouragement and support [I buy the books etc.]

She loves all that.  

• Like 2