Wheezing Thailand needs a clean-air act, government told

webfact

Wheezing Thailand needs a clean-air act, government told

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation

81e3e444ac20b1af5f46208a14d11f77-sld.jpe

Environment campaigners have urged the government to approve a clean-air act to solve the country’s chronic smog problem and honour citizens’ right to breathe clean air.

Dr Wirun Limsawart, a policy analyst at the Society and Health Institute and member of the Clean Air Network Thailand, said at a press conference in Bangkok on Friday there was no time left for debate over the fact of the seasonal smog problem.

Everyone, he said, must work together, addressing all aspects of what has become a serious threat to public health and social justice. Everyone should get involved in devising sustainable solutions.

a2eeeaa284ced38ef7b23c1a49dd3788.jpeg

The Clean Air Network released a “Clean Air White Paper” as a handbook for use by the general public containing information about PM2.5 particulate matter and related issues.

Wirun said the prolonged and severe PM2.5 pollution afflicting many parts of Thailand during the current dry season, especially Metropolitan Bangkok and the North, had left citizens suffering serious but preventable health impacts.

“The seasonal PM2.5 smog is a very significant problem, not only harming people’s health and wellbeing, but along with the authorities’ ineffectiveness in preventing and controlling the smog, worsening injustice in our society,” he said.

He said the problem became so dire this year partly because of the authorities’ failure to cope, so he called on the government to set out sustainable measures such as enacting a Clean Air Act and establishing a central environmental-protection agency.

“The primary reasons the authorities’ efforts are unsuccessful are the lack of a holistic approach in taking such measures, unclear and inefficient environmental-law enforcement, and the authorities’ bias by which economic development is given higher priority than environmental protection,” Wirun said.

“Unless we solve these structural issues, establish official smog-mitigation measures, improve law enforcement and come out with a Clean Air Act to use as a legal tool to safeguard the right to live in a healthy environment, we will fail to protect public health and Thailand will soon become a sickly society.”

Wirun said poor public understanding of PM2.5 was another major issue that needed to be tackled.

“The nature of the smog problem, the characteristics and health threats of PM2.5, air-quality measurements, the air-quality index and the pollution warning system can be quite confusing,” he said.

“So I decided to work with the Clean Air Network in preparing the Clean Air White Paper to simplify this complex information, answer questions commonly asked about smog and raise public awareness about how to stay protected from pollution and how to help tackle the problem.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369222

thenation_logo.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

All working together is not possible. There are idiots that insist on lighting fires. My wife has been threatened by people that we will have our house burnt down for ever complaining about pm2.5. These people still light fires illegally... Thailand has a government, police, army, forestry department and a fire brigade so what's the excuse? 

They don't care. All evidence suggests this. All they do is wait for wind and rain to avoid doing there jobs. Need a new coup!

Clean air doesn't buy you helicopters and submarines.  The boys need their toys and kickbacks ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

All working together is not possible. There are idiots that insist on lighting fires. My wife has been threatened by people that we will have our house burnt down for ever complaining about pm2.5. These people still light fires illegally... Thailand has a government, police, army, forestry department and a fire brigade so what's the excuse? 

They don't care. All evidence suggests this. All they do is wait for wind and rain to avoid doing there jobs. Need a new coup!

Your three words "They don't care." sums it all up.

That is the Thai mentality regarding many problems. "It doesn't concern me. Why should I care".

I don't mean this as Thai bashing, because I often hear these words from my Thai friends and family.

• Like 2

I bought two air filters two months ago.  Both filters are already down to 50%, and probably will need to be replaced in another couple of months at this rate.

I used to walk outside 2 hours a day.

Now I feel tired after about 40 minutes.  Yes, I wear a mask. ????

• Like 2

There are people burning fires every week close to my village area in bkk. When they burn I check the pm2.5 Meter and it’s in the 200’s

At the same time people are walking babies, jogging and cycling around the village.

i hope this clean air bill educates some people to the dangers since most people are too scared to say anything or complain.

until fines are issued nothing will change here

1 hour ago, MartinKal said:

It is surprising how quickly a culture can change or be changed. From these foolish and simple-minded people, unaware of the consequences of their actions on their own families and neighbours; to a people jealous of a pristine environment and in tune with nature and the future.

It only requires one thing. They say that "change starts from within". Well, no, that is not actually correct. Change starts from the top. There are leaders and followers.

A change in attitude towards the environment requires leadership. LEADERSHIP.

Therefore, the first thing to do is to make the case to Thailand's ruling elite.

And then public education programs, supported by the leadership.

After that comes dedicated incentives and legislation.

This all requires an Environment Agency to devise and enforce the rules.

It can be done, and why wouldn't you want to? Considering it is the health of you and your children - children of the North live four years less, as well as the pain and economic suffering; as well as the prosperity of the country where tourism makes 20% of GDP. 

Health and prosperity are my number one and number two priorities. And you?

All true but until people start getting hit with a 5 or 10 thousand baht fine for burning crap in the garden nothing will change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

In our area we have a first class refuse collection service, around 10 am monday, again around 10 am thursdays they collect, yet we have neighbours who insist on burning rubbish almost daily.

If you speak to them about it you only get abuse, until that is curbed, and all the disgusting old buses spuing out filth are sorted out, the problem will just continue, because nobody cares.

you certainly have hit the nail on the head with those last two words of your comment;

’... nobody cares’.

The sheer ignorance at all levels is one of utter repugnance.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Nice pic, but only kids #3 and #6 really pass muster. Whilst these two are waiing respectfully. #2 is giving a slow handclap. #4 is looking for the cap off #5's ya dom, and #1 is clearly attracted to #6.

I wonder if they are at the same school , a uniform would help.     Moving on !