Does This New Mandatory Insurance Effect Those With A Type O Marriage Visa?

With the news story about mandatory insurance it is difficult to understand what types of visas this will effect. Will it change anything with Type O Marriage visas and will anything change with applying to renew a Type O visa in Savannakhet Laos? The news story seems somewhat vague. If you are over sixty with no medical insurance currently does the government plan to offer any sort of insurance coverage ?

4 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Nobody knows.

Typical Thailand.

The Nation article is confusing and does not go into much detail. It would seem logical that all visas including tourist visas should require some form of insurance. It would sure seem easier to just add an extra fee to the visas itself.

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Will it change anything with Type O Marriage visas

As I understand it is written mentioning applying for extensions and one has to apply for a marriage extension so that's means to me health insurance will be needed eventually when the Thai gov get to enforce it.

If you are over sixty with no medical insurance currently does the government plan to offer any sort of insurance coverage ?

There is no mention of that only a might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts but it would be good to have a cheap farangie CTPL for health cover.

Edited by Kwasaki

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As I understand it is written mentioning applying for extensions and one has to apply for a marriage extension so that's means to me health insurance will be needed eventually when the Thai gov get to enforce it.

There is no mention of that only a might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts but it would be good to have a cheap farangie CTPL for health cover.

But there is no mention of those applying for a renewed visa like in Laos where no bank account is needed.

11 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

But there is no mention of those applying for a renewed visa like in Laos where no bank account is needed.

How do read into this then

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How do read into this then

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

If i understand correct is a O-A visa a Retirement Visa and a Type O a Marriage visa ? Maybe i am reading it wrong but as it was mentioned a few months back they were referring to only Retirement Visas O-A?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mania said:

It will be anyone over 50 on a long stay period

Folks thinking it will be any less are being hopeful at best

Have only see O-A mentioned nothing more. Why no mention of Type O or those that apply in Laos?

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

So as i cant get insurance ,to old  etc ,married lived here 13 years have wife ,son ,home ,etc ,will i have to leave , and go back to the UK ?

I have seen NO mention of those married to Thais as far back as when this subject first came up months ago and i mean NOWHERE !

• Thanks 1

I'm currently on a Non B visa, but I've want to switch to Non O marriage. Since, I'm over 50, I will assume that I will be required to have insurance. I'm currently enrolled with the Thai Social Security and its provides medical coverage. My question is that I would like to find out if this will satisfy the visa requirements or do I need to purchase additional health insurace?

11 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

It would sure seem easier to just add an extra fee to the visas itself.

I'd rather stick to my own travel insurance which is a darn sight better than some 40k baht nonsense which would barely cover a stubbed toe.

15 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

I have seen NO mention of those married to Thais as far back as when this subject first came up months ago and i mean NOWHERE !

At the moment i am on a retirement visa ,have been for 13 years but was going to change to Marriage so as not to have to tie up 400,000 k i can never use ,what now

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

At the moment i am on a retirement visa ,have been for 13 years but was going to change to Marriage so as not to have to tie up 400,000 k i can never use ,what now

I have yet to see any mention about Type O Marriage visas. My question is what about applying in Laos where there is NO balance needed in a Thai bank account. It is talking about Type O-A Retirement visas NOTHING more !

I have yet to see any mention about Type O Marriage visas. My question is what about applying in Laos where there is NO balance needed in a Thai bank account. It is talking about Type O-A Retirement visas NOTHING more !
Most of us married guys are on oa visas as it was easier to do,so we get screwed it seems

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If i understand correct O-A is a retirement visa. Why not just have a Type O Marriage Visa ? Easier to do?

I intended to change to marriage at the end of the year ,hope there will not be a problem,retirement was always easy ,marriage meant a lot more paperwork ,but when the brought in the 5 months seasoning of the 800k and 400k you could not touch ,that seemed stupid as the 400k would normally be for an emergancy but you would need far more in a thai bank just in case now ,i do have more than one Thai bank account but dont like tying up 400k you can never touch seems stupid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike123ca said:

I'm currently on a Non B visa, but I've want to switch to Non O marriage. Since, I'm over 50, I will assume that I will be required to have insurance. I'm currently enrolled with the Thai Social Security and its provides medical coverage. My question is that I would like to find out if this will satisfy the visa requirements or do I need to purchase additional health insurance?

If you read the other thread in Thai news which I guess got OP to start this one, it states with the Thai Social Security which you are enrolled in you will be OK. 

Well I didn't have money in Thai bank for long to get my 'O' visa in Laos but I needed money to show.

I was trying read between the lines in the Thai News thread so Thai gov are targeting O-A retirement visa's and extension some bright spark gov official will be saying sooner or later what about farangies on married extensions.

Another thing I do not understand is the visa system, I came into Thailand on 30day within 30day went to Laos for non 'O' visa NOT a 'O-A' visa applied for marriage at Maesot immigration office and they gave me a retirement extension because of amount in Thai bank got changed to marriage extension the next year, no visa change !!!

As said I go to renew my 14 year marriage extension 31st this month so I am reinstating with the Thai health ins company I was with just in case.  

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I didn't have money in Thai bank for long to get my 'O' visa in Laos but I needed money to show.

I was trying read between the lines in the Thai News thread so Thai gov are targeting O-A retirement visa's and extension some bright spark gov official will be saying sooner or later what about farangies on married extensions.

Another thing I do not understand is the visa system, I came into Thailand on 30day within 30day went to Laos for non 'O' visa NOT a 'O-A' visa applied for marriage at Maesot immigration office and they gave me a retirement extension because of amount in Thai bank got changed to marriage extension the next year, no visa change !!!

As said I go to renew my 14 year marriage extension 31st this month so I am reinstating with the Thai health ins company I was with just in case.  

Since the amount for Type O Marriage extension is 400,000 baht not 800,000 baht as with retirement extension we get a benefit being married to a Thai.  So it seems that in my case getting a renewed visa and not a extension . One, no money in a Thai bank account needed and at least at this time they are focused on Type O-A NOT Type O Marriage visas. If they are so concerned about unpaid fees they should focus on the tourists also.  How old are you and what does Thai health ins company charge you yearly ? What do you mean you needed to show money in your Thai bank account in Laos ? Did you apply in Savannakhet Laos ?

Edited by Mitkof Island

Just now, ivor bigun said:

What i meant was although we are married we went for normal 800k in the bank route as it was less hassle than going for a marriage visa.

Personally I don't see or have ever had any difficulty with applying for a marriage visa extension, the only issue is the long queues at CW. 

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Personally I don't see or have ever had any difficulty with applying for a marriage visa extension, the only issue is the long queues at CW. 

The Type O Marriage visa is so simple compared to a Type O-A Retirement Visa.

3 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I think married people are not on O-A visas.

Surely, once your O-A visa has reached the end of it's life - can be almost 2 years - any extension of stay that you then apply for really has nothing to do with the O-A.  The extension can be based on marriage or retirement and the only difference is the financial requirement.

If, as speculated, the new insurance rule only applies to O-A visa applicants - and this has to be done in your own country - I don't really see how it would be applied to retirement extensions but not to those based on marriage.  Unless, of course, the intention is to apply a blanket requirement to all long-stay ex-pats over the age of 50 years.  Who knows - all as clear as mud at the moment.

Personally, I originally had an O-A, back in 2004, used it as a multi-entry visa for almost two years and have been extending on the basis of retirement ever since.  Will I be required to meet the new rules just because my original visa was an O-A and not just a O?  Wouldn't really make a lot of sense but TiT.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

How old are you and what does Thai health ins company charge you yearly ? What do you mean you needed to show money in your Thai bank account in Laos ? Did you apply in Savannakhet Laos ?

Maybe the confusion is I was in Laos a long time ago so things may of changed

I'm nearly 72.

Fee's 32,000 baht a year, I pay every 6 month because I find it easier to budget for.

In Laos it was June 2005 don't know whether to show money was needed but they looked at my Thai bank book, going back in Thailand to Maesot immigration office they wanted to see money in Thai bank and gave me retirement extension instead of a marriage one. 

Not remember whether it was Savannakhet but it was a Thai Embassy.

• Like 1

Just looked at my passport its a new one from my original and the stamp the immigration put in a couple of years ago says non o ,what does that mean ,sorry but imr stupid lol

Actually my original one i got from the Thai consulate in Birmingham when we came here was an o ,