On arriving from Tokyo I was stamped into the country. What the immigration officer didn’t realise was that I had a Non-B visa so she stamped me in for 30-days. When I pointed this out to her, she crossed out the 30-day stamp and wrote the extension date in pen. She said “It’s your job to tell *me* that you’ve got a visa”.

Anyway, after cursing the officer, I didn’t think much of it at the time, but my 90 days is coming up soon and I’m a little bit concerned that having a stamp written in will be a problem. The 90-day report will be done in person at Chaeng Wattana if that helps. If anyone has had this happen before to them I’d like to hear your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, farang1979 said:

She said “It’s your job to tell *me* that you’ve got a visa”.

Did you write the number on the TM6?

I am expecting she put it right in the computer, so no issues. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, farang1979 said:

She said “It’s your job to tell *me* that you’ve got a visa”

They have a very simple job of checking a document and putting a stamp and can't even get that right?! Best example of the classic blame game instead of saying "Sorry, my bad. Thank you for being a tax paying guest in my country" ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And you have a very simple requirement of entering the Visa or re-entry permit number in the box provided on the TM6. Personally I open the passport at the relevant stamp when I present it, better that than issues later. 

Do you expect him/her to finger though and inspect every single page of every single passport that is presented, 500-1000 per shift?

It doesn't matter how, but an immigration officer should be able to notice that there is valid visa/extension and not telling the person that it's his job to tell. 

Edited by Dnyy
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

It doesn't matter how, but an immigration officer should be able to notice that there is valid visa/extension and not telling the person that it's his job to do so. 

It might be there on the computer if a person has a record in the system, but most travelers are likely not to have any record and I would suggest, if they have a well used passport, to show their tourist visa if they have one, for example, and get 60 days, instead of 30, for a Visa waiver entry. 

People should be responsible for themselves and not presume others will hold their hand. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It might be there on the computer if a person has a record in the system, but most travelers are likely not to have any record and I would suggest, if they have a well used passport, to show their tourist visa if they have one, for example, and get 60 days, instead of 30, for a Visa waiver entry. 

People should be responsible for themselves and not presume others will hold their hand. 

I agree with your last sentence but not in this case. Here, you should rely on the executive authority to do the job right.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Good luck with that!????

No need for me, I have a Thai passport. But I suggest you always explain any officer what they have to do and make them lose face. That will help for sure.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If you have a visa it's a simple process to hand over your passport with the visa page open and say gowsip wan kap or hokesip wan kap, ( excuse spelling ) although even doing that I've had 30 instead of 90 and a hand written correction that didn't cause any problen when leaving for my next trip.

• Like 1

Whoever is "at fault" here, IMO, it's sensible to:

1 Have the PP open at the visa page or have the TM6 tucked into that page.

2 Look at what has been stamped in your PP while you're standing at the desk. It it's OK, smile at the IO (however grumpy they are) and say thank you.

I always do that when entering Thailand and so far it's always been correct but there may come a time......

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dnyy said:

They have a very simple job of checking a document and putting a stamp and can't even get that right?! Best example of the classic blame game instead of saying "Sorry, my bad. Thank you for being a tax paying guest in my country" ????

Yeah, I get that at every immigration desk in the world that I present myself at.

Doesn't everybody? :crazy:

• Haha 1

I Have a Non-Imm Multi " O " Visa based on Marriage....

I Did my 90 Day Border Bounce last Saturday 11th May...

I then presented myself at the Thai Border at Nong Khai,The IO Checked my passport & Stamped in " Permitted to Stay Until 8th May ???

I Pointed out his Mistake & He Then crossed out that date & Admitted me until 8th August ( 90 Days )....So ALL Should be Good when I Do my next Border Bounce on or before that date.....Yes ???

Edited by Nong Khai Man

8 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Pointed out his Mistake & He Then crossed out that date & Admitted me until 8th August ( 90 Days )....So ALL Should be Good when I Do my next Border Bounce on or before that date.....Yes ???

Yes

On 5/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, Dnyy said:

No need for me, I have a Thai passport. But I suggest you always explain any officer what they have to do and make them lose face. That will help for sure.

You have now Thai passport but you lost your first passport and nationality ?

On 5/17/2019 at 8:21 AM, jacko45k said:

And you have a very simple requirement of entering the Visa or re-entry permit number in the box provided on the TM6.

With my previous METV I always put in the number in the box on the TM6. Only one officer ever actually looked at it and the visa - the rest don't even noticed it and will try to just pass it through as 30-day exempt. I've actually heard stories before of people pointing out their visa which made the IO angry, so I dunno about doing it...

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Have a Non-Imm Multi " O " Visa based on Marriage....

I Did my 90 Day Border Bounce last Saturday 11th May...

I then presented myself at the Thai Border at Nong Khai,The IO Checked my passport & Stamped in " Permitted to Stay Until 8th May ???

I always write "90 Days" on the top of the entry form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

With my previous METV I always put in the number in the box on the TM6. Only one officer ever actually looked at it and the visa - the rest don't even noticed it and will try to just pass it through as 30-day exempt. I've actually heard stories before of people pointing out their visa which made the IO angry, so I dunno about doing it...

Well of course you need to. With a METV I would guess after the first entry you would be in their records. I haven't ever had the issue of an angry IO, a bit dour faced maybe. But I do hear of it a bit. 

And you have a very simple requirement of entering the Visa or re-entry permit number in the box provided on the TM6. Personally I open the passport at the relevant stamp when I present it, better that than issues later. 

Do you expect him/her to finger though and inspect every single page of every single passport that is presented, 500-1000 per shift?

From my experience they finger through it anyway.

Of course, there are no signs upon entry and when given the extension be it O/B there is not a slip of paper or a url explani g the issues of re-entry or basics on 90 day reporting or when you can make your next extension. It's all left up to you to entirely sort out and if you do it wrong, nothing is explained rather it's an indignant and offensive attitude.

How much time could Thai IOs save by providing simple information and reduce their stress in the process.

Sorry, blame is on them. How would a returning expat noob know to put the re-entry # on the form?

And even then they still make a ridiculous amount of mistakes which one has to waste their lives going to CW to correct bc it matters not what the visa provides but what the IO incorrectly stamps.

Sorry, not buying it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Sorry, blame is on them. How would a returning expat noob know to put the re-entry # on the form?

I too was ignorant of this requirement for a spell, thinking, well it says Visa and a re-entry permit isn't a Visa. One day coming in an IO lady told me I should do that, and ever since I did. I have also read it here quite a lot of times since.

Ignorance is no excuse. 

I agree sometimes my idea of passing the passport opened at the Visa/ Permit page seems wasteful, they want to start at the main picture page first. They may also finger through every page, let them do as they please, their job, their time. I don't expect them to be rude to me, and they aren't, maybe surly looking. But my job is to make sure I get the right stamp until date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I too was ignorant of this requirement for a spell, thinking, well it says Visa and a re-entry permit isn't a Visa. One day coming in an IO lady told me I should do that, and ever since I did. I have also read it here quite a lot of times since.

Ignorance is no excuse. 

I agree sometimes my idea of passing the passport opened at the Visa/ Permit page seems wasteful, they want to start at the main picture page first. They may also finger through every page, let them do as they please, their job, their time. I don't expect them to be rude to me, and they aren't, maybe surly looking. But my job is to make sure I get the right stamp until date. 

I'm not beating a dead horse but just a few quick points:

I too mark my page with a rubber band. Nope, they flick around, get lost and then despite the rubber band still can't find the extension stamp + re-entry.

Personally, I've never encountered and outright rude IO. Unreasonable, at CW. Curt at the Immigration counter, but not outright rude. Obviously, many have.

Part of this issue is that the government makes the process purposefully complicated, it creates jobs and an army of dutiful voters. Going to the US for my wife is half the hassle. Now, with the computers in place it's painless. This makes no sense.

If they want a tedious, cumbersome process don't be upset when people routinely make the same mistakes because it's obviously a problem of process.

Finally, it would be beyond easy to put up signs as people meander thru the long lines and 45 minute waits - Do you have a re-entry permit? Then a picture showing the card and the permit number. If I were an IO I'd put one at the waiting area in front of my kiosk if nothing else.

I'm exhausted from the fake outrage directed at foreigners. Some of us are in fact completely idiots, but that doesn't give government officials the right to treat us all like that. In most western countries these jobs are absolutely nothing special and really...all the fake medals and ribbons have to go.

• Like 1

Every single time I have entered this country the officer has inspected every single page multiple times and I always have it open to the visa / extension page.

• Like 1