How much do you spend a month?

FruitPudding

How Much Do You Spend A Month?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

That's not true for me. Tanqueray prices at Tesco's in UK and Thailand:

Thailand: 1,168 baht for 750ml

UK: 20 pounds for 1,000ml

That's a substantial difference considering the difference in volume.

What about the cheap gins here? 315 baht for 750 ml. In Tesco Lotus. And perfectly good to mix with tonic? Stick your Tanqueray!

• Like 1

9k rent

854 baht internet

2000 baht electric

185 baht water out of taps

600 baht water in bottles

3000 baht kid stuff nappies etc

7500 baht kid bank

1000 baht petrol for car

200 baht petrol for bike

170 baht moo bahn fees

9000 food shopping

12000 meals out days out.

Insurance 3600

900 baht tobacco

1000 baht alcohol 

50k abouts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

What about the cheap gins here? 315 baht for 750 ml. In Tesco Lotus. And perfectly good to mix with tonic? Stick your Tanqueray!

I've noticed those Gins, they have two or three around that price, will give them a try next time.

Not to mention that old favourite 'Red Cock Vodka' at 140bht for 750ml in Tesco.

Why pay more it all tastes the same in my Mojito (and I've got the mint growing in the garden).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've noticed those Gins, they have two or three around that price, will give them a try next time.

Not to mention that old favourite 'Red Cock Vodka' at 140bht for 750ml in Tesco.

Why pay more it all tastes the same in my Mojito (and I've got the mint growing in the garden).

I buy the Gilbeys at around 400 baht. Am about to test the cheaper one. I don't drink vodka, but the ridiculously cheap Sangsom can't be beat, with cola or orange juice. I guess this is why Thais prefer to relax than work overtime? 

• Like 1

The amount of tax I would be paying on my income if I was a resident of my home country means that I could spend a preposterously huge amount of money here every month and still be better off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Speedhump said:

I buy the Gilbeys at around 400 baht. Am about to test the cheaper one. I don't drink vodka, but the ridiculously cheap Sangsom can't be beat, with cola or orange juice. I guess this is why Thais prefer to relax than work overtime? 

Not to forget Sangsoms cheaper brother, Hong Thong ......... that's pretty darned good for a blended rum.

• Thanks 1

Not to forget Sangsoms cheaper brother, Hong Thong ......... that's pretty darned good for a blended rum.
If you want to get blind after some years.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

But that's the whole point. What one person spends in a month can be wildly different to another person as a result of what they choose to buy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

can cross the road to my sister-in-laws restaurant and get a really delicious meal for 30 Baht. In England it's getting on for a tenner for (also delicious) fish & chips. Why just focus on food from your home country? There's more delicious, inexpensive food here than you could shake a stick at.

Well, it depends on what you eat really. Then you have the issue with pesticides on veggies/fruits and mostly fried food is available on the markets in Thailand which is not my thing. .

There are pros/cons in every country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

I can cross the road to my sister-in-laws restaurant and get a really delicious meal for 30 Baht. In England it's getting on for a tenner for (also delicious) fish & chips. Why just focus on food from your home country? There's more delicious, inexpensive food here than you could shake a stick at.

Man, in Scotland it is half that price.

And you can get double the number of fish n chips on minimum wage (probably about 16 portions) a day, than noodle soups (about ???? on a Thai minimum wage a day.

And let's not forget portion size.

Edited by FruitPudding

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

But that's the whole point. What one person spends in a month can be wildly different to another person as a result of what they choose to buy.

Choosing to buy something because it's in a nicer bottle (well known brand) may not have much 'added value' in the long run.

11 hours ago, brokenbone said:

31-40k, of which the damned smoking i just got back into takes 10k.

2 years smoke free went to hell after i

drank beer almost every day with an old friend that made a trip back to thailand

The exact same thing happened to me. Two years smoke free and then ended up in London for 2 weeks going out most nights with a bunch of old university friends, all of whom still smoked. Haven't been able to kick them again since. Ashamed of myself. 

Oil massage $9 an hour in Thailand, $60 an hour in U.S., on average. $200 an hour at upscale resorts, but you can hear a landscaped waterfall. I get two 90-minute massages a week at $26 for my painful neuropathy. Helps me sleep. Yes I tip, and expected  U.S. tipping is massively higher. You can see how that works out over a year's time. And, no, it's not covered by insurance in U.S. Even if it was the co-pay would be higher than the full rate here.

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I bought a single Chicken Breast in the UK from an independent butcher, £1.80, Big C 20 Baht !

I noticed that in the U.K. , the halal chicken was always much cheaper than the chicken in the aisles at supermarkets like Tesco ,Asda , Sainsbury. 

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Choosing to buy something because it's in a nicer bottle (well known brand) may not have much 'added value' in the long run.

I agree. Personally I buy this brand of gin (and others) because I like the taste, not because of the bottle.

40 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

The exact same thing happened to me. Two years smoke free and then ended up in London for 2 weeks going out most nights with a bunch of old university friends, all of whom still smoked. Haven't been able to kick them again since. Ashamed of myself. 

for me the fookin sigs are too strongly associated with beer,

or almost any beverage really beside water.

if i can let go of the smoking again,

i will not ever drink beer again

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I actually thought Hong Thong was more of a whisky. Never tried it myself.

Im reading about Sangsom now: "... won a gold medal in the liquor competition in Madrid, Spain, in 1982 and 1983, and won another award in the liquor competition in Dusseldorf, Germany in 1983. Since then, it has been known among its connoisseurs as "SangSom Gold Medallion"." ????

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Apart from wine and cheese, I've not found anything cheaper in the UK.

Recently bought a 60" LG TV, only difference in price was 3 year warranty in Thailand (Lazada), 5 year warranty in UK (John Lewis).

My house and girlfriend are considerably cheaper in Thailand, as is my council tax, water, internet and electricity.

In oz ALL real food is fractions cheaper, of course wine n cheese but also real beef, LAMB chops! and and  delicatessen foods eg salamis , Bulgarian feta cheese 500 grams tins for $7 

I miss it

Thai food = boiled rice and slivers of meat with complimentary sugar and MSG. Im over it

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Single male, renting, dining out all meals. Sydney (AU) Vs Isaan City (TH):

Apartment rent per month:
AU: 45,000baht (unfurnished)
TH: 4,000b (furnished w/-WiFi)

Electricity (per KWh)
AU: 10b
TH: 4b

Whiskey (700ml bottle):
AU: 900b
TH: 340b

Food (per meal at pub):
AU: 300-400b
TH: 75-90b

2hr oil massage
AU: 3,000b
TH: 500b

Gym & pool:
AU: 6,500b per month
TH: 650b (includes towel & WiFi)

Cinema:
AU: 500b
TH: 200b

—————

Worth also mentioning:

Climate (cool season, daytime high):
AU: 17-18 degrees
TH: 24-25 degrees

Eye Candy (Hotties sighted per hour when out and about):
AU: 0-1
TH: 50-60

Friendliness (Number of hotties prepared to stop, talk & smile - per hour)
AU: 0
TH: 50-60

couple of things. Your oz home wasn't a moldy shitty 4k fan room . Electricity in oz = no air con..add in air con in this stinking hot weather and the bill will be the same. Whisky is a win here..pub meals are you for real? half a chook with chips in most pretend irish pubs here is 350 baht with nearly free labour (staff)

massage ? its a win here

Hot women? bahaha  I lived on the gold coast surrounded by blonde haired blue eyed bombshells with real tits and married one. Thai girls dont even rate

HEALTH INSURANCE !!!!!!  wipes away all gains !!!! farang never add this in when making comparisons..its a mystery why..ostrich syndrome for sure IMO

Edited by madmen

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Your oz home wasn't a moldy shitty 4k fan room

LOL. My TH apartment is modern, has A/C, large rooms, loads of natural light plus a sunny outdoor area. Oh, and it has no mold. 

Electricity in oz = no air con..add in air con in this stinking hot weather and the bill will be the same

No air con required in Sydney??? Are you serious?! Evenings can be cold, so (expensive) heating is necessary. Australia's electricity costs are among the highest in the world. Many AU residents in the southern states cannot afford to warm their homes.

pub meals are you for real? half a chook with chips in most pretend irish pubs here is 350 baht

Cost of THAI food in THAI restaurants/bars/pub was used in my eating-out comparisons, not meals in pretend or otherwise IRISH pubs.

I lived on the gold coast surrounded by blonde haired blue eyed bombshells

Gold Coast?? Read my post again. SYDNEY is used in the comparison not the GC. Good luck finding "blonde haired blue eyed bombshells" in certain south-western suburbs of SYDNEY.

HEALTH INSURANCE !!!!!!  wipes away all gains !!!! farang never add this in when making comparisons

Health Insurance for me when travelling overseas (to Thailand) costs nothing. It's provided FREE by my AU credit card provider as Travel Insurance when I take my annual 350 day "holiday" in Thailand.