How much do you spend a month?

FruitPudding

How Much Do You Spend A Month?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, CharlieH said:

How long is a piece of string ?

Depends entirely on ones life-style, which is often dependent on income.

There are those that may have a good income but choose to live simply and once the property (usually highest expense) is paid, there are only running costs and food.So it can be as much or as little as person chooses it to be.

One person could say 100k another 20k it means nothing as there are too many variables and entirely dependent on lifestyle one chooses and where they choose to live it.

Yes, but thats true with almost any question. It could be finances, housing, weather etc etc.

Fact is, its really about comparing yourself to others for some reason, not about what someone else is spending.

30 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Schools are better and free in the UK .

No they're not free... They cost you tax (whatever Tax bracket you would fall in). 

The same is for Health Insurance (you pay tax towards that). 

The schools are better in the UK if you are comparing a Thai Government School with any comprehensive school in the UK. 

But the Good International Schools in Bangkok (i.e. Bangkok Patana, Prep, NIST etc) are better than the standard comprehensive schools in the UK (the type my Son would likely attend if we lived in the UK).

Thus: As this thread is about 'monthly spend' (costs) in evaluating the costs of Schools etc they are not free because we have to pay tax. 

i.e. The Cost of Tax savings by not living the UK, vs the additional Costs of a Good International Schools in Thailand, and Medical costs etc... 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 5:47 PM, brokenbone said:

depends, one of the few dishes i ever make myself is spagetti gorgonzola bacon sauce, the ingredients alone is closer to 1000 baht, and  since i like it i just keep on eating until nothing left to eat, even if i have to work on it the whole night

Recipe and ingredient prices please. That's more expensive than a restaurant.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, Tomahawk21 said:

I have very nice western food every day for less than 30bht/meal.

Learn to cook, ingredients are cheap.

(Actually today's dinner will cost me 40bht, I'm planning on a big roast pork steak with a baked potato, mushrooms and gravy)

i cant see how you do that unless your meals are very small. a small broccoli will cost you more than 30 baht. 

He didn't include broccoli in his dinner !   LOL

On 5/20/2019 at 3:58 AM, Swedenlars said:

Forget Numbeo. He is right. In the UK you get many things cheaper than in Thailand. Just open your eyes and use your brain. In the UK and for that matter also in other countries in Europe they have constantly sales. And I mean sales. Not fake 10 % you always see in Thailand. I was in London for Boxing Day Sales in 2018. You would not believe how cheap I bought branded stuff. No chance in Thailand. Numbeo is right when it comes to rents, cars ,and maybe a few more. Of course overall Thailand is still cheaper. But not necessarily for branded items. Plus in Europe the branded stuff is not fake. I could tell you a few stories.......

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Same here in the US.

Simply a function of scale of markets. The US is a large market where profits can be made on quantity, both on the sale and purchasing side. So retailers buy for less because they buy more, and can sell for a smaller profit margin because they sell more. Also to remain competitive and maintain market share they provide a better product. 

For those who doubt the above, simply go to Amazon and check prices . 

On the other hand items  and services dependant on local wages are significantly cheaper in Thailand for obvious reasons.

We Travel between the US and Thailand a couple of times a year and are able to take advantage of both these dynamics. We own our house and car debt free in Thailand and by now we have bought pretty much everything we need so our monthly expenses in Thailand are minimal, I dont keep track, but I would say between 30 and 50K .  Most of the time closer to the 30k mark, but we are simple people and live a simple life..

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1