How much do you spend a month?

FruitPudding

How Much Do You Spend A Month?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

OK, name 50 everyday family consumer items and 50 food items that are cheaper in the UK than Thailand, from your experience and prove the ref. I stated in post #4 is not accurate, so we can all benefit from this news.

The list you provided names quite a lot of items that are priced cheaper, particularly in the grocery section.

And your point on quality and place of manufacture is a little flawed. The things made in China for the developed countries are different than the Chinese made stuff we buy in Thailand. That is because western countries have a thing called "quality control".

Regarding evidence, jeez, I am still wearing tshirts and jeans I bought 15 years ago in the UK.

However, my Thai bought underwear lasts 6 months before the elastic goes and drops to my ankles every time I walk up the stairs, lol.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

The list you provided names quite a lot of items that are priced cheaper, particularly in the grocery section.

Groceries come from open markets in Thailand, only fools (or the rich/lazy) buy in the supermarkets

Just now, geoffbezoz said:

What a load of nonsense  you write without any references,

"Most items are actually cheaper in the UK now (clothes, food, technology etc etc) and better quality."

Well here is a reference;

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+Kingdom

As for better quality please provide supporting evidence considering the limited amount of good that the UK produce themselves directly.

It's in the details. Go into any too robinson and 80% of footwear is made in China. Compared to same footwear that is made in Vietnam and more often than not cheaper in the UK too.

We ship 2kg of clothes and footwear from UK for £21.50 tracked and it takes 5 days.

Debox and package clothes/shoes.

Kids trainers are rubbish here no matter what brand. Minimum 1500 baht for branded too so I can't recall the last time we purchased ant clothes here as the quality is inferior and price is higher.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But you could add in my car repairs, tax, mot and insurance which are less than 100 pounds a year in Thailand.

I don't know about you, but if I was living in the UK I would be driving a lot "better" car than I drive here which would balance out what you have to pay to keep a car on the road here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Groceries come from open markets in Thailand, only fools (or the rich/lazy) buy in the supermarkets

You do have a good point. Hard to beat the value of fresh eggs from a farmers market, but I would feel foolish buying one of their tiny, scawny cooked chickens (with flies all over) for 120 baht.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

I don't know about you, but if I was living in the UK I would be driving a lot "better" car than I drive here which would balance out what you have to pay to keep a car on the road here.

They usually want 300 pounds to pass it through the MoT, another 300 in insurance, and what's car tax another 300.

So 900 pounds UK Vs 100 pounds Thailand.

Can't say I care how nice my 20yo pickup is, as long as it starts when I turn the key, that's 800 pounds saved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

You do have a good point. Hard to beat the value of fresh eggs from a farmers market, but I would feel foolish buying one of their tiny, scawny cooked chickens (with flies all over) for 120 baht.

40bht for 400gms of chicken breast in Tesco Lotus.

• Confused 2

If you are comparing the UK, there are fixed charges you dont have in Thailand.

Electricity (fixed charge) PLUS used units

Water rates - fixed plus used

Gas - fixed plus used

Phone - fixed line rental

Council Tax charge

TV licence (quarterly/annually)

ALL of these are standing monthly charges.

None of which apply in Thailand, the only fixed charge I can think of here is rubbish collection @ 200 baht per year !! (areas vary)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If you are comparing the UK, there are fixed charges you dont have in Thailand.

Electricity (fixed charge) PLUS used units

Water rates - fixed plus used

Gas - fixed plus used

Phone - fixed line rental

Council Tax charge

TV licence (quarterly/annually)

ALL of these are standing monthly charges.

None of which apply in Thailand, the only fixed charge I can think of here is rubbish collection @ 200 baht per year !! (areas vary)

Yes, what I can't understand is why all these leavers come on this site to say how cheap our home countries are.

I'm living way beyond the dreams of all my retired pals in the UK, even the guys living in council houses seem to be paying more for a very basic lifestyle.

It's as if they're trying to talk up the success of their forced repatriations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, what I can't understand is why all these leavers come on this site to say how cheap our home countries are.

I'm living way beyond the dreams of all my retired pals in the UK, even the guys living in council houses seem to be paying more for a very basic lifestyle.

It's as if they're trying to talk up the success of their forced repatriations.

Plus you don't need to buy expensive overcoats,  often made in Romania, gloves scarves etc etc in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dependent on location, those "fixed" charges can be 250 - 300 a month in UK (way higher in London etc)

thats around 12000 baht before you start eating !!

Thailand if you own your home, is ZERO before food.

Great point, actually!

• Like 2

Just now, FruitPudding said:

Girl's blouse.

My dad wore shorts til he was 12.

Don't follow your logic. I was referring to the fact that you have no need to buy an overcoat in Thailand as you would need during the UK winter.  As for the Girl's blouse ? you calling me one or are you saying you wear one in the winter ? What has your Dad , whom you claimed wore shorts until 12 years old, got to do with the current day cost of living ?

• Sad 1

If this includes all my expenses - ie, car, kids school fees, eating, drinking, petrol, wife's spending (10K) - then about 46K. No monthly expenses for house as it is paid already. 

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But you could add in my car repairs, tax, mot and insurance which are less than 100 pounds a year in Thailand

Really? Less than Bht 4000 a year?

• Like 2

As I'm in the UK now until next week when I bring back 2 bags stuffed with everything I use that's more expensive and better quality than here there has been a marked increase in prices from 6 months ago basically everything farang type of food stuff is sill way cheaper in the uk but not much else other than 2nd hand cars.

The only thing I like here is my now near worthless pound still actually buys me absolutely anything in the pound shop ???? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

If this includes all my expenses - ie, car, kids school fees, eating, drinking, petrol, wife's spending (10K) - then about 46K. No monthly expenses for house as it is paid already. 

Any health insurance?

12 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

No monthly expenses for house as it is paid already. 

You must have electric and water bills, my biggest monthly bill is my electric bill.

• Like 1