How much do you spend a month?

FruitPudding

How Much Do You Spend A Month?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:
I pay 3,000 baht per month for a modern, 2-bed house in half a rai of land. The car on finance costs another 11,000 baht a month.  Medical insurance is about 4,000 baht a month.  Utilities are about another 4,000 baht.  Food etc is 10,000 baht a month.  That makes about 32,000 baht.

Not bad, 3000 Baht for your modern house, plus half a rai of land. I pay much more for my house. See pic.[emoji1782]0950.551_P01.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

imported chocolate, imported nuts, dairy, and more expensive imported fruit (i.e., seedless grapes, dates, blueberries). In a word, in the aggregate, food prices in Thailand have been fairly stable.

Dates, 65bht for 500gm at YoK and Rimping.

That's cheaper than the UK, and they sell them all year round, not just at Xmas.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

We differ, I like nice cars, nice house & good quality food, worked for 45 years now is the time to enjoy the "fruits" of my labour! ???? 

Fruit is relevant - what do you pay for pineapples , mangoes , mandarines , papayas , coconuts , bananas in the UK ?

I have just arrived back from the UK which I found to be getting increasingly more expensive every time I go back. Utility Bills and food like chicken a lot more expensive, beef similar as is pork not much difference from Thailand.

Clothes, a lot cheaper in the UK and better quality, my GF loves Primark, we bought loads of T Shirts and Shorts for our son and stuff for herself. All better quality she says than Thailand and ironically manufactured in Asia, Cambodia, India and Vietnam. I didn’t see any with labels ‘manufactured in Thailand’.

Designer clothes, the original ones are cheaper in the UK but not by much.

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm paying the same price for hookers as I was paying ten years ago

Yes and I believe you sir but I would say you are likely paying the same price *for the exact same hookers* that you began using 10 years ago (same gals 10 years older).  Now thats some inflation!

9 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Fruit is relevant - what do you pay for pineapples , mangoes , mandarines , papayas , coconuts , bananas in the UK ?

Peanuts? wouldn't have a clue otherwise? ????

Normally it's under 25k , since my rent is so cheap. 
But it varies from month to month. 

Condos can be crazy expensive to rent. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Gin ............. way cheaper in Thailand.

That's not true for me. Tanqueray prices at Tesco's in UK and Thailand:

Thailand: 1,168 baht for 750ml

UK: 20 pounds for 1,000ml

That's a substantial difference considering the difference in volume.

I'm back in my native Norway now, one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in, but it's actually cheaper here than in Thailand on many food items. Mainly because of the poor exchange rate to Thai baht.

I tried to convert prices of some of the food I buy in Thailand just to compare, 
1 kilo African bananas 45 baht  - Thailand about the same or more

250 grams fresh Blueberries (Spain)  46 baht - Thailand 148 baht

500 grams fresh Strawberries (Belgium) 55 baht - Thailand (similar Korean) 250-300 baht 

1 kilo fresh Norwegian salmon 350 baht - Thailand 1000 ++++

1 kilo fresh Atlantic cod 600 baht - Thailand 1500 +++ 

1 kilo potatos , same same but better quality, same with carrots. 

Meat is cheaper in Thailand but the quality as we all know is poor. Chicken maybe 50% cheaper in Thailand.

Eggs about the same price. 

Any form of alcohol is more expensive in Norway because of the high taxes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

That's not true for me. Tanqueray prices at Tesco's in UK and Thailand:

Thailand: 1,168 baht for 750ml

UK: 20 pounds for 1,000ml

That's a substantial difference considering the difference in volume.

Uncle Tom Green (gin) .......... 250bht for 700ml from BigC.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, balo said:

Normally it's under 25k , since my rent is so cheap. 
But it varies from month to month. 

Condos can be crazy expensive to rent. 

Condos can be quite cheap if you rent them as serviced apartments on a monthly basis - even in Pattaya ("Dark Side") 

Think the results might be interesting in light of the crack down on immigration income requirements. I have spent a bit more than my required 65,000 required monthly income. I maintain that there are many other western working middle class retirees here who have been out priced in their home countries. I will be interested in the results.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Cheaper in the UK ?

I just went to Big C & chicken breasts 59 Bht a Kilo

Price in Oz & NZ 5 times the price & look awfully white

I bought a single Chicken Breast in the UK from an independent butcher, £1.80, Big C 20 Baht !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, what I can't understand is why all these leavers come on this site to say how cheap our home countries are.

I'm living way beyond the dreams of all my retired pals in the UK, even the guys living in council houses seem to be paying more for a very basic lifestyle.

It's as if they're trying to talk up the success of their forced repatriations.

Because they are insane enough to compare Bangkok to South Devon in <deleted> nowhere UK instead of comparing Bangkok to London.

If they want to compare <deleted> nowhere UK then they should compare it to living in Isaan instead.

Edited by blackcab
Expletive deleted
  • Like 2

Can't comment on the prices in the Uk but I sure can comment on the prices in Southern California. Food is quite inexpensive since so much is grown in CA. However, other expenses such as utilities, internet and mobile phone service are much less expensive in TH. Also, motorbike and car repairs are ridiculously cheap in TH compared to SoCal. And certainly housing at all levels is much more expensive in CA. And on it goes. It would be unthinkable to consider moving back to Orange County, CA because it's less expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A whole helluva lot more than the average Thai family. And that is just one reason why ex-pats are valuable to Thailand. And we should be treated with some respect. I do not expect plaques, awards, or honors. But, I do not think racist hatred from this heinous administration, and ridiculous hurdles from immigration are necessary. I think they are foolish, lacking in vision, and indicative of the gross incompetency Prayuth, and the entire army bring to the table. They should be spending their time bossing around their subordinates, not leading the nation into the abyss.  

Respect is not in the Thai dictionary, Thais take you for granted. I on many occasions have said to my Thai G.F. where does my money come from. I am on a UK State Pension with a small Private Pension. She always says yes but your salary was better. I can’t disagree but so is the cost of living, wasting my breath to be honest. 

Nope I worked long hours and managed too accumulate savings o nearly 50 years of my working life.Thais from my experience don’t ever try and save, spend it as they get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I pay 3,000 baht per month for a modern, 2-bed house in half a rai of land. The car on finance costs another 11,000 baht a month.  Medical insurance is about 4,000 baht a month.  Utilities are about another 4,000 baht.  Food etc is 10,000 baht a month.  That makes about 32,000 baht.

So your car is your biggest expenditure. When it's paid out you can really enjoy it, go traveling overseas and whatever you want.

I think I buy a new car with cash just before I retire so I don't have to worry about that for the next 6-10 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

You do have a good point. Hard to beat the value of fresh eggs from a farmers market, but I would feel foolish buying one of their tiny, scawny cooked chickens (with flies all over) for 120 baht.

And although I don't want to derail this particular thread, you are even less sure of what you are buying with regards to the pesticides, growth hormones, insecticides and all sorts of other chemicals which are sprayed on the vegetables one buys here, and this is particularly so in the farmers markets, and this has been proven by surveys and tests undertaken by various universities and institutions – – they concluded it was safer to buy the vegetables in supermarkets where there is some sort of "quality control" demanded – – but not much by all accounts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, balo said:

I'm back in my native Norway now, one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in, but it's actually cheaper here than in Thailand on many food items. Mainly because of the poor exchange rate to Thai baht.

I tried to convert prices of some of the food I buy in Thailand just to compare, 
1 kilo African bananas 45 baht  - Thailand about the same or more

250 grams fresh Blueberries (Spain)  46 baht - Thailand 148 baht

500 grams fresh Strawberries (Belgium) 55 baht - Thailand (similar Korean) 250-300 baht 

1 kilo fresh Norwegian salmon 350 baht - Thailand 1000 ++++

1 kilo fresh Atlantic cod 600 baht - Thailand 1500 +++ 

1 kilo potatos , same same but better quality, same with carrots. 

Meat is cheaper in Thailand but the quality as we all know is poor. Chicken maybe 50% cheaper in Thailand.

Eggs about the same price. 

Any form of alcohol is more expensive in Norway because of the high taxes.

I can cross the road to my sister-in-laws restaurant and get a really delicious meal for 30 Baht. In England it's getting on for a tenner for (also delicious) fish & chips. Why just focus on food from your home country? There's more delicious, inexpensive food here than you could shake a stick at.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

The best advice in the world that is not followed by the masses. Some bad  reactions occur when people fail to understand these words. It results in them blaming others for their misery, political parties rising to power promising to better your life, the us versus them mentality, jealousy, robbery, and the big con. I have known people make 100 dollars a week and be happy and I have known people make 1 million dollars a week and be happy. But most in these categories regardless of income do not follow this principle. How many people think if they just got more money they would be happy. But they would actually be the same as they are miserable, wasteful, lack common sense and feel entitled to whatever ... Look at all the lottery winners and what happens in their lives.  

If you live by these principles and have good health you and you family will live a blessed life anywhere on the planet earth. If you don’t then you will suffer serious mental issues and let the advertising world and other people dictate your emotions and politics and beliefs about life.

I thank my ancestors every day for me being born in a poor family that taught me this critical lesson. Even after making lots of money I know now that this lesson is a central principle to a healthy life. Yet it is criticized and ignored by the masses and will be until the next Great Depression when we all realize that this lesson is a key to living a well rounded happy life. ????????????

Extremely well put, what a shame this message isn't taught in schools and temples throughout the land.

• Like 1