How much do you spend a month?

FruitPudding

How Much Do You Spend A Month?  

326 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This topic crops up regularly.

Someone declares it's cheaper to live in their own country because they can buy milk, cheese (the perennial favorite) or a lettuce cheaper back in good old Florida, Sydney or Bristol. 

Spoiler alert, there are many things that can be bought cheaper elsewhere than in Thailand! The only reasonable way to compare overall costs is to look at a complete shopping basket of goods and services.

The Numbeo site provides something close to that. It's data is compiled from input by 1000s of local contributors and provides a better indication of relative costs than almost any other easily available measure. It's much more accurate than just one disgruntled TVF member checking out the price of a kilo of cheddar in Coles and declaring their country is cheaper. It proves Thailand is cheaper overall.

However, if you compare average salary to the cost of living, Thailand IS more expensive than many of our home countries (average wage in LOS is about 20,000 baht). I wouldn't want to live on that.

Few of us still earn the average wage in our home countries, our pensions usually lag far behind. But, that overseas pension (must import 65,000 baht or 3x Thai average wage) makes Thailand very cheap for expats and can provide a good standard of living!

If you're spending overseas money, Thailand is very cheap.  

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

It's called a joke! Lol.

Sorry bit slow today, you mean a joke like your initial post of UK being cheaper than Thailand ?  Now I get it ????  I see you started another poll on when people came to Thailand so assume that is a joke of some sorts too ?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Delight said:

It helps to understand the changing financial fortunes especially for Brits since 2004

Period 2004 to 2007 - A decision was  taken by Allan Greenspan ( Chairman of the Fed) in 2003 . This  decision was to take Fed Fund rates down to 1%. In 2000 they were 6%.) . This created economic an sweet spot for Brits who imported. Why -because UK base rates were closer to 4%

This decision  translated to 70 Baht to £.  Some claim 74

(As an aside this decision was the first stage that resulted in the great recession)

Period 2008 to 2016. the economic sweet spot has gone. 50 Baht to the £. All central bank rates are about the same.

Period 2017 to present. Economic sourspot for the Brits. 40  Baht to the £ . Cause -the Brexit referendum result and the speculators reaction to it.

Future - With a no deal Brexit the Brits will look back fondly at the wonderful days when £1 would buy 40 Baht

Further Future - The UK will still be part of the EU and join the Euro.  Pound gone for ever

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm paying the same price for hookers as I was paying ten years ago

You didnt say what you were paying 10 years ago. Is it like for like? When you say hooker, I assume you mean a female stress technician in a house of horizontal refreshment as opposed to the "number 2" in a rugby team. 

What a load of nonsense  you write without any references,

"Most items are actually cheaper in the UK now (clothes, food, technology etc etc) and better quality."
Well here is a reference;

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+Kingdom

As for better quality please provide supporting evidence considering the limited amount of good that the UK produce themselves directly.
Forget Numbeo. He is right. In the UK you get many things cheaper than in Thailand. Just open your eyes and use your brain. In the UK and for that matter also in other countries in Europe they have constantly sales. And I mean sales. Not fake 10 % you always see in Thailand. I was in London for Boxing Day Sales in 2018. You would not believe how cheap I bought branded stuff. No chance in Thailand. Numbeo is right when it comes to rents, cars ,and maybe a few more. Of course overall Thailand is still cheaper. But not necessarily for branded items. Plus in Europe the branded stuff is not fake. I could tell you a few stories.......

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Insurance 950bht, safety inspection 300bht, tax 900bht.

Usually 2k in repairs, this year rebuilt alternator and leaking oil hose.

The compulsory insurance is Bht 600 alone. So what do you get for your extra Bht 350 ?

Safety inspection for Bht 300, that's £7.50. No you could not get that at Kwik Fit, but you can't get quicker than a Kwik Fit fitter.  LOL

And if your car was 20 years old in UK, either it would be classed as a classic...so no road tax, or it would be scrapped .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Thailand is getting pretty expensive.

Not for me it hasn't everything pretty much the same depend on time of year for some foods.

I like my beer and over 15 years gone from 28 to 47 for large bottle which ain't bad.

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

As Mr. Micawber famously put it;

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

The best advice in the world that is not followed by the masses. Some bad  reactions occur when people fail to understand these words. It results in them blaming others for their misery, political parties rising to power promising to better your life, the us versus them mentality, jealousy, robbery, and the big con. I have known people make 100 dollars a week and be happy and I have known people make 1 million dollars a week and be happy. But most in these categories regardless of income do not follow this principle. How many people think if they just got more money they would be happy. But they would actually be the same as they are miserable, wasteful, lack common sense and feel entitled to whatever ... Look at all the lottery winners and what happens in their lives.  

If you live by these principles and have good health you and you family will live a blessed life anywhere on the planet earth. If you don’t then you will suffer serious mental issues and let the advertising world and other people dictate your emotions and politics and beliefs about life.

I thank my ancestors every day for me being born in a poor family that taught me this critical lesson. Even after making lots of money I know now that this lesson is a central principle to a healthy life. Yet it is criticized and ignored by the masses and will be until the next Great Depression when we all realize that this lesson is a key to living a well rounded happy life. ????????????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

The best advice in the world that is not followed by the masses. Some bad  reactions occur when people fail to understand these words. It results in them blaming others for their misery, political parties rising to power promising to better your life, the us versus them mentality, jealousy, robbery, and the big con. I have known people make 100 dollars a week and be happy and I have known people make 1 million dollars a week and be happy. But most in these categories regardless of income do not follow this principle. How many people think if they just got more money they would be happy. But they would actually be the same as they are miserable, wasteful, lack common sense and feel entitled to whatever ... Look at all the lottery winners and what happens in their lives.  

If you live by these principles and have good health you and you family will live a blessed life anywhere on the planet earth. If you don’t then you will suffer serious mental issues and let the advertising world and other people dictate your emotions and politics and beliefs about life.

I thank my ancestors every day for me being born in a poor family that taught me this critical lesson. Even after making lots of money I know now that this lesson is a central principle to a healthy life. Yet it is criticized and ignored by the masses and will be until the next Great Depression when we all realize that this lesson is a key to living a well rounded happy life. ????????????

Cut to the original question, how much a month? you can't live on "happiness" 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Delight said:

Interesting thought!

Whilst the UK  cling to the pound the UK Dinosaurs have something to cling to also.  Many of the Brexit dinos now I remember as fresh faced wannabees in the 70s stating the UK was wrong to adopt metric standards.  That same retard thinking will prevail whist they have a crumb of hope that the UK will leave the EU. Get rid of the pound and and the life line of the Brexit hopeful  dinosaurs will be extinguished.  The Euro will strengthen against it main competitor and once 2025 comes along with China as the dominate economic force  the Euro will be the currency that matters, not the US dollar. IMHO 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

That was long before credit cards came on the scene.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Apart from wine and cheese, I've not found anything cheaper in the UK.

Recently bought a 60" LG TV, only difference in price was 3 year warranty in Thailand (Lazada), 5 year warranty in UK (John Lewis).

My house and girlfriend are considerably cheaper in Thailand, as is my council tax, water, internet and electricity.

I believe milk is cheaper in Uk and better quality and basic bread is about the same price????????????