US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

webfact

3 hours ago, oldrunner said:

I'm a retired AF Officer and get 100% coverage if I'm hospitalized, Doctor care plus medication 100% if for my heart. Non heart related care and care for my wife is handled under Tri-care where we pay 75%. We use Praram 9 Hospital and they accept 25% payment and bill Tri-Care for the balance. As an old codger I try to take care of myself. At 79 I do not run, play, or chase animals of any variety. I'm surprised I've made it to 79 and happy to be here. If you don't have coverage, work on getting basic coverage.

Well, indeed they do for impatient care. I emailed Praram 9 at the email address at below website regarding do they accept Tricare?   https://www.praram9.com/contact.php

Got a detailed reply in a few hours that they do....what documents are needed to get started like passport, address here in Thailand, SSN and a variety of the standard stuff....not hard.   I will not quote the whole reply due to personal details, but a part of their response summed it up well....see partial quote below.

Let me explain the conditions and general exclusion for using  Tricare medical insurance as follows
1.  For outpatient treatment >> you pay and send a claim directly to Tricare.
2.  For inpatient treatment, you  pay 25 % exclude home medication and  ambulance service for taking you back home

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, simon43 said:

This thread has raised a few hard facts that expats living in Thailand need to face:

1) Despite a recent forum poll that I posted, it seems that many expats have neither a comprehensive medical insurance policy, not sufficient funds to cover the cost of a major illness/accident, (and no means to replenish those funds either).

2) Many expats seem to be under the illusion that they will stay healthy until the day that they die in their sleep.  Sorry, but life doesn't work that way.

3) Regardless of what visa type (O-A, O etc) will fall under these new health insurance rules, the simple fact is that you either need comprehensive health insurance, lots of $$$ or are able to return to your home country for free medical care - if that is available.

4) Those of you who intend to relocate to Cambodia etc are missing the point!  You should still have the means to cover the costs of hospital stays - just because the visa in Cambodia doesn't make medical insurance/$$$ a requirement for issue of that visa, doesn't mean that everything is going to be fine and dandy after you stick 2 fingers up to Thailand and move to Cambodia - in fact, you're probably at a higher risk of falling ill or having a serious accident LoL.

5) If you're complaining that the available insurance policies don't cover your pre-existing conditions, well welcome to the real world!  Unless those conditions are 'dormant', then why on earth should an insurer cover you for this - the likelyhood of a future claim is high.

6) If you're complaining that you're too old to get cover, (not true anyway), or it's too expensive, well welcome to the real world!!

No-one in this world owes you anything.  You need to face facts and make difficult decisions,.

I'm not gloating at anyone.  Although I do have medical insurance, I don't have the financial means to remain in Thailand after my current visa expires.  I've been here for 18 years, have lost all family ties in the UK, and have no idea what I will do...

But for heavens sake, stop moaning and be man (or woman) enough to recognise that regardless of your visa type, you need to make the difficult decision to ensure that if you are seriously ill/injured etc, you can be cared for in hospital.  That could mean returning to your home country.

Don't put off making that decision in the vain hope that you'll live healthily to 100 years old.

Well stated simon43. I don't have much to offer. I have kept track of the TV topics because I have a few friends still in Thailand. 

First, I can't imagine what you or anyone else is going to deal with returning home after 18 years. I gave up my retirement dreams of Thailand after a year, and was really thrown a curve ball when it came to dealing with no family,  only a few friends,  no car or possessions.  It has not been fun, but, slowly getting my stuff together.  

I left Thailand on January 8th! 

Ok, I bought a car and today finally got my own place to live. Oh, and I'm only 67.

You would think my being a combat veteran and having faced my own share of challenges would have made me more resilient.   Did not make it much easier.

My only addition are these few things. 

For those leaving,  get your plan in your head before you go.  First and foremost,  get a car. I could not get a loan because I did not have an verified legal address after being gone a year and had to tap my cash to buy a used car.

Prepare for all kinds of obstacles passing a background and credit check just to rent an apartment. 

Be very careful of criminals that will try to scam you.  They are everywhere and can smell blood.   

Be prepared to accept you will live far below what you can imagine right now.  I slept in a tent and the back of my car some to save up cash.  

Don't give up hope and don't drink too much.  

And last.  While a blessing and a curse,  I kept in contact with my girlfriend.   She has helped me and I her emotionally.  She pointed out to me yesterday something I think is really important. 

She said to remember,  Thailand is part of the AEC and all the SE Asian countries will eventually adopt the same Visa and medical insurance requirements.   

Moving to Cambodia or Vietnam may be only delaying the inevitable.....

Good luck.  I just turned the corner and see light at the end of my tunnel.  I hope the best for all of you....

Oh! Here is a good source for free camping in the USA. 

https://freecampsites.net

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

This thread has raised a few hard facts that expats living in Thailand need to face:

1) Despite a recent forum poll that I posted, it seems that many expats have neither a comprehensive medical insurance policy, not sufficient funds to cover the cost of a major illness/accident, (and no means to replenish those funds either).

2) Many expats seem to be under the illusion that they will stay healthy until the day that they die in their sleep.  Sorry, but life doesn't work that way.

3) Regardless of what visa type (O-A, O etc) will fall under these new health insurance rules, the simple fact is that you either need comprehensive health insurance, lots of $$$ or are able to return to your home country for free medical care - if that is available.

4) Those of you who intend to relocate to Cambodia etc are missing the point!  You should still have the means to cover the costs of hospital stays - just because the visa in Cambodia doesn't make medical insurance/$$$ a requirement for issue of that visa, doesn't mean that everything is going to be fine and dandy after you stick 2 fingers up to Thailand and move to Cambodia - in fact, you're probably at a higher risk of falling ill or having a serious accident LoL.

5) If you're complaining that the available insurance policies don't cover your pre-existing conditions, well welcome to the real world!  Unless those conditions are 'dormant', then why on earth should an insurer cover you for this - the likelyhood of a future claim is high.

6) If you're complaining that you're too old to get cover, (not true anyway), or it's too expensive, well welcome to the real world!!

No-one in this world owes you anything.  You need to face facts and make difficult decisions,.

I'm not gloating at anyone.  Although I do have medical insurance, I don't have the financial means to remain in Thailand after my current visa expires.  I've been here for 18 years, have lost all family ties in the UK, and have no idea what I will do...

But for heavens sake, stop moaning and be man (or woman) enough to recognise that regardless of your visa type, you need to make the difficult decision to ensure that if you are seriously ill/injured etc, you can be cared for in hospital.  That could mean returning to your home country.

Don't put off making that decision in the vain hope that you'll live healthily to 100 years old.

While you have some valid points- you are forgetting the most important point-  Medical care is a human right- it is not something to be bargained for or treated as a commodity.  Every person has the right to- Live.  And I would add- every person has the right of freedom of travel.

the fact that medical care is a human right is recognized in every Western country including Japan with the establishment of National Health Services.  Unfortunately, in my country of origin, United States- healthcare is treated as a commodity -something to make money from- and thus you have an unholy union between-  Insurance- Hospitals/Providers- Big Pharma. (How can an HIV med sell for $2000 in America and the same pill sell for $8 in Australia- It's called greed and the laws which abet this greed).

America is heading towards whats is called Medicare for all which is universal coverage- the elimination of Insurance and the drastic lowering of drugs.  It will be paid by tax money coming out of one's mandatory medicare deduction for working people but free for the unemployed and age 65 and over.  Whether it will cover overseas Americans is unknown at this time.  I and others are attempting to lobby politicians running for President on the need for truly universal coverage.

The problem in Thailand is that most of the medical staff in the Ministry of Health have been educated under the American system and want  for profit hospitals and for profit medicine and  foreigners are considered a cash cow.  The Hippocratic Oath enshrines do no harm but the fact is that For Profit Medicine allows people who can be saved -To die

All foreigners want to be covered for medical issues but  like current medical coverage in America- many millions of people simply cannot afford the coverage and remain uninsured.  Obamacare was a bridge to Medicare for All as lower income people were given subsidies paid by the Government and this helped reduce the uninsured. I am not advocating the Thai Government subsidize foreigners or provide free care.

All foreigners in Thailand want to be covered but aging foreigners are victims of  a greedy insurance industry that refuses to understand that all pre existing  conditions must be covered and all  people have a right to coverage.  The insurance industry cannot pick and choose who to cover and at unreasonable charges- especially if insurance is mandatory.

The Ministry of Health has a unique opportunity to put its Government Hospital back in the black.  (remember the singer Toon and his nationwide walk which raised 1 billion Baht and donated this to Government hospitals).  The Thai Government can ans must

-Develop a coverage/policy that can be used by foreigners for both long and short term coverage- No exclusions- No Pre-existing conditions- No age issues and make it mandatory for everyone- long stayers; tourists; short stayers; Since Thailand has a tourist pool of 30 Million people per year the money generated would more than cover everyone and eventually generate enough income to fund Government hospitals.

-A cost to each foreigner say 1,000 Baht per months stay (12 months 12,000 Baht)

-The policy is good at any Thai Government clinic or hospital-  Private hospitals can be included but will get reimbursed at the Government rate.  There is no limit- just renew every year.

It makes absolutely no sense to force only long stayers or people on OA Visas to use  insurance offered under the long stay p;program. In my own case-  a yearly premium of around 90,000 Baht for  coverage of 400K Baht and 40K out patient-  Out patient should be a choice.  Absolutely horrid coverage at the highest p;possible rate.

I don't know how to convince the Thai powers to be to abandon this folly and work with Expat Groups; the Foreign Chambers of Commerce and experts within the medical industry but I do know that even forcing people on O-A visas to purchase costly medical insurance will fail to address any of the issues.

I do know one thing and that is the starting philosophy must be that medical care is a human right- available to all.  Anything else  is immoral.

8 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I do know one thing and that is the starting philosophy must be that medical care is a human right- available to all.  Anything else  is immoral.

Rich people get good health care poor people get poor health care on no health care.  Rich communists in Vietnam come to Thailand or Singapore to get decent health care.  Rich Chinese communists go to America for health care http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2014-06/25/content_17614048.htm

Rich and poor people in England receive different standards of care from the UK’s universal free health service

https://www.ft.com/content/628b25ca-06d1-11e9-9fe8-acdb36967cfc

8 hours ago, Dania2019 said:

I don`t agree this writing. Farang long stay use more money a month than 25% of Thai people earn in a year, and they can go to hospital for free.

Are you married to government person as farang you can go to hospital for free - no sense !!!!!!!!!!

Thai government just want to make it difficult for us, and are very selfish. Many of us has been here for more than 10 years and invest a lot of money. All you can lose, House, car, and the help of children's education - no one care - no feeling about us that help Thailand a lot.

If you just visit Thailand in holidays It is ok asking for health Insurance. Otherwise / very bad doing! 

The Retirement rules or  married rules don`t mach with this about health insurance they now want us to have. And I you don`t have insurance for many years, it stop when you are 80 years and the cost the last years is about 91.000,- Baht.

I have bee here 12 years, use about 7.5 million for family and all. Have never been sick. My age is this year 79, and have paid a lot of privat health-care for my wife true the years for not waiting at hospitals. I have in 4,5 years every month paid 10.000,- bat to her children's study. I fell very bad the way they want to do, and don`t accept the brutality they do - I just go back to my country if they do it. Thats for sure. They do`t want farang here anymore. 

"They don`t want farang here anymore. "

There is some real truth to that statement.

While many expats argue the benefits they are providing, the government never seems to accept expats as being a necessity or doing anything worthwhile.

The real kicker is Thai's can come live in our countries with hardly any rules or regulations and are welcomed.

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

"They don`t want farang here anymore. "

There is some real truth to that statement.

While many expats argue the benefits they are providing, the government never seems to accept expats as being a necessity or doing anything worthwhile.

The real kicker is Thai's can come live in our countries with hardly any rules or regulations and are welcomed.

Ignorant people don't like foreigners in any country.  Is this news to you?

8 hours ago, Alan Michael said:

I have recently questioned many Thai people and asked if they have medical insurance. None said yes.

So if they need hospital treatment and can't pay, they will also be a drain on the hospitals finance.

They say that the so called farang non payers of hospitals are also a drain if they can't pay, but the difference is that we will not be allowed to leave the country until we have paid, because the hospital will report your passport details to the police, who will then contact the immigration to stop you leaving Thailand until you have paid.

So who are all these farang non payers?? It's nonsense.

I have had three operations here and was asked for my passport details for security each time.

Should I have just said thanks for the treatment and walked out of the hospital and saved my money?

If there was a reasonably priced health care insurance for Thai's, then the retiree expat should also be allowed the same insurance. Fair's fair. We farang  by living in Thailand are Nett financial contributors to the Thai economy

My girlfriend was quoted 40,000 baht per year by a Krungsri bank insurance which is connected to a life insurance so money will come back to her heirs if she should die. The bank said it's for Thai's only. Why?

Nothing is fair for expats in Thailand. That is the first think you learn about living in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

The US sure seems to like foreigners!

I'm hoping for a double wall, with a deadmans land (landmines, threat of snipers) in-between them, and possibly a moat at our Southern Border. I'm all for legal immigration, but illegals can go screw, I've had enough of their entitlement syndrome.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:28 PM, Mango Bob said:

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

Please provide a link to this coverage you speak of.

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

I’ve never been a fan of insurance of any kind, other than motor of course. Medical I believe is the biggest and worst of the insurance businesses. I’ve always just paid for anything I’ve needed to do. Yes I’m aware I’ve been lucky so far but I’m also aware that business is the operative word here and their business model is to pay out as little as possible. If I really have to I’ll get insured, but the way things are going with ever changing rules I may decide to just move elsewhere.

Totally agree with you insurance is a SCAM !

10 hours ago, malibukid said:

hmm, i wonder who is behind this statement.  did the Thai government "ask" the U.S. Embassy to make this statement?

btw the way Medicare U.S. does cover Americans for ER services here.

Medicare US covers Americans for ER services ???? provide link to prove this

6 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I'm 79 years old and in almost perfect health. But try and buy health insurance. The costs are out of this world. I'd rather die than pay exorbitant prices like that.

I totally agree. the stress of having to pay high costs for a scam alone is enough to kill you. Screw that!

14 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Medicare US covers Americans for ER services ???? provide link to prove this

I googled this:    Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, ambulance services, or dialysis you get in a foreign country in these rare cases: You're in the U.S. when a Medicalemergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.

1 hour ago, chaihot said:

I don't know ANYONE in Thailand who has 3-4 million coverage of health insurance.  One friend has the second best BUPA/AETNA policy of 2 million; I have the policy with Outpatient benefits as well, but my limit is only 600k with BUPA/AETNA.

No offense, but your figures sound like scare-mongering.  The friend mentioned above just had open heart surgery ... total bill 1.4 million.  

I assure you, many TV members (including myself) have insurance well over that. Basically anyone who has a policy from an international company has it; you can't get an international Expat policy with less than around USD$500,000 cannual over and most are USD 1 million (which is more than one needs in Thailand, but that's how the policies come). It is only Thai-issued  policies that come with unrealistically low levels of cover (yet do not cost much less than the international policies).

As for "scare-mongering" - my figures are based on actual experiences here in Thailand. They are the high end, of course, not the average cost, but that is what insurance is for, to cover the really catastrophic costs you could not cover yourself.

Members on this biard have had single hospitalizations costing in excess of 3 million. They did not expect to, it was completely unexpected, but they did, and there is nothing to say it won't happen to you too.

What is the plan for paying it if your insurance is only 600K -  1 million max? Frankly with that level of cover you should plan on using only government hospitals. And even then, cross your fingers as I have seen govt hospital bills top 1 million several times.

9 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Sorry guys. There are lot of good guys on TVF with helpful information, jokes and good conversation. 

But the daily scare mongers, Thai bashers and “ I am smart and they are stupid” and “my home country is great compared to this third world country”  and “ all Thai women are cheats” guys are annoying. IMO they need medication or to sober up, learn to not be afraid, and learn they are not very important in the world. Telling them to leave will not help because they think they are brilliant and have been here so many years. So complaining and criticizing and worry are their only comforts.  Too bad for the rest of us that enjoy this place and don’t suffer from panic attacks or the allusion that  we could move here and could or should change Thai culture. Could the daily bashers just take a few days off and give the rest of us a break please. The world is huge. Thailand and you are a very small part of the world so enjoy what time you have left before you are gone and a distance memory. 

Ever notice that the I HATE THAILAND !!! gang never leaves ??? Have you ever asked the question why? Likely three reasons. Can you guess ?

Totally agree with you insurance is a SCAM!

Why?  Because they won't insure for (active) pre-conditions? (Get real!! Why should they cover you for an active illness/condition that you already have???)

Why?  Because they won't pay out when people lied on the application form?

Why?  Because they won't pay out when you were in an accident when drunk or driving without the correct licence etc?

Remember that the insurance company doesn't have the final say if you disagree with their decision not to pay out or to pay a reduced amount.  The Insurance Ombudsman has that final decision.  If you have made a valid claim, then you shouldn't need to worry IF you have taken out insurance with a reputable international company.  You can appeal to the Ombudsman if your claim is rejected and you feel that the insurance company has made the wrong decision.

UPDATE - Sorry! Messed up the quote and can't seem to correct it!

On 5/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, crees said:

I too wonder about health insurance here, I do have Medicare A & B, 100% VA Disabled … and I might get a cup of coffee with all that. I've been here awhile and have used the hospital care here, never goes over 100,000 bt at private hospitals, a much better deal  than in the US where I get VA Hospital care for free. If they do start to require insurance here, it should be affordable and well worth it to live here. We will have to see where that boat sails, no worries for now. There is a huge difference between great hospital care and just hospital care.

You are living in an alternate reality if you think hospital bills "never goes over 100,000 Baht." A serious heart attack or a serious injury involving extensive ortho or neurosurgery could set you back 375,000 to 2 million Baht.

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I assure you, many TV members (including myself) have insurance well over that. Basically anyone who has a policy from an international company has it; you can't get an international Expat policy with less than around USD$500,000 cannual over and most are USD 1 million (which is more than one needs in Thailand, but that's how the policies come). It is only Thai-issued  policies that come with unrealistically low levels of cover (yet do not cost much less than the international policies).

As for "scare-mongering" - my figures are based on actual experiences here in Thailand. They are the high end, of course, not the average cost, but that is what insurance is for, to cover the really catastrophic costs you could not cover yourself.

Members on this biard have had single hospitalizations costing in excess of 3 million. They did not expect to, it was completely unexpected, but they did, and there is nothing to say it won't happen to you too.

What is the plan for paying it if your insurance is only 600K -  1 million max? Frankly with that level of cover you should plan on using only government hospitals. And even then, cross your fingers as I have seen govt hospital bills top 1 million several times.

I salute you  for helping  people understand the medical system in Thailand and pointing us to the correct  provider.

While you are certainly correct about prices etc  in Thailand and I can confirm my spouse's cancer treatment in Thailand was in the millions of baht (I had insurance)- the cost of the insurance itself reached a point that it became unaffordable.

There is a certain point at which a product becomes so expensive, it cannot be purchased by a majority of the population.   Healthcare is at that point.

For Profit Healthcare; Doctors who enter the profession for money only and Big Pharmaceutical companies who formed an uneasy alliance that drives the cost higher and higher. They are abetted by Governments that restrict access to generic medicines; refusing to break patents that would save life and generally allowing Healthcare to police itself- which is not working.

Healthcare, as I have mentioned, is a Human Right.  It is not something that should be touted as a commodity where those who can afford it or a high insurance policy get it but available to everyone.

I don't begrudge Nurses; technicians and other  medical professionals a fair wage for their knowledge.  I do not begrudge doctor's to get paid a salary that is equivalent to their expertise.  However, I do begrudge doctors forming medical associations to maximize profits; drug companies using patents to create medicines that are high priced and  absolutely not reasonable /affordable yet  paid by insurance who simply keep raising prices to a public that keeps paying because they  want to live.

Governments instead of allowing the continuing upward trend in costs must stop this by taking over the entire  provision of medical care.  Medical costs have reached the level where the average person cannot afford to pay the hospital/doctor or the insurance and Thailand is in the position to stop this while it is still controllable.  Unfortunately, I have little hope they will do the right thing.

30 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

While you are certainly correct about prices etc  in Thailand and I can confirm my spouse's cancer treatment in Thailand was in the millions of baht (I had insurance)- the cost of the insurance itself reached a point that it became unaffordable.

Are you saying your medical insurer raised your premiums to be unaffordable in the wake of your wife's cancer treatment?  Or, you're just generally complaining about high medical insurance rates?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is only Thai-issued  policies that come with unrealistically low levels of cover (yet do not cost much less than the international policies).

Exactly.  And most international policies won't cover folks over 65.  For expats in Thailand over 65, the annual costs of Thai-issued policies can be 10-15% of the annual cover (20% or more of the annual cover for those over 70, and approaching 50% of the annual cover for those over 80). 

If health insurance is required of older retirees, and all they can get is Thai-issued policies with very high premiums, low levels of cover, many exclusions for preexisting conditions and uncertain pay-out, such policies will be little more than a government-mandated hike in the cost of living.  For any major health event they'll still have to pay out of pocket just as if they didn't have insurance.

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you saying your medical insurer raised your premiums to be unaffordable in the wake of your wife's cancer treatment?  Or, you're just generally complaining about high medical insurance rates?

What I am saying is the insurance company kept raising rates while my wife was under care and coverage. They had to know there was a level which I could no longer afford.  

In addition- when I sent in documents/receipts for reimbursement- they normally paid within 7 days but they would hold the check for 2-3 weeks before they actually mailed it.  Then upon receipt of the check- I had to wait almost 30 days before it cleared  the Thai banking system. Of course, holding the check before mailing meant their money was still in their bank.

The reimbursement for medicines/drugs had to be separated from the other care and sent to a different address to be reviewed.  /then another separate check issued and deposited and a wait for clearance.

They made it as difficult as possible to claim and be reimbursed. I complained to the California Insurance Commissioner and they stopped holding the reimbursement checks- but then the premiums started their increase.

Honestly speaking- the whole process exhausted me- affected my mental state- and after my wife expired- returned to the US to work.  I finally overcame the depression' managed to be productive and save enough money to return to Thailand and marry again.

IMO there is something radically wrong with the whole system. Medical care is a human right.

Archived