Back-to-school spending headache: the cost of parenting

webfact

Back-to-school spending headache: the cost of parenting

unnamed-4.jpg

As millions of students are going back to school this month, parents are spending billions of baht to get their children ready for the new semester. 

Several economic thinktanks have carried out surveys about the parent’s preparations for their children’s education and found that the back-to-school season is one of the biggest spending periods of the year for both high-income earning and low-income earners.

The University of Chamber of Commerce estimated that, overall, the parents are expected to spend Bt54.972 billion to get their children ready for back-to-school in 2019, 5.2 percent more from the same period last year.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/back-to-school-spending-headache-the-cost-of-parenting/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-20

Would be very interested to know if the uniforms are and associated wear are all Thai made?

There is every opportunity to make this happen, internal product requires no marketing, can't fail create continued Thai employment.

What about the second-hand shops at the markets? Can get that guide/scout stuff for next to nothing. And that white stick they need (can be a red twig); just go to the forest and cut one. Then paint it. Bamboo is everywhere. We farang must be more inventive if we are not to to finish up as Thais in disguise.

We didn't get where we are today without initiative. Let's lead the way in this.

Edited by owl sees all

school is far from free and government education suxx .. I guess in our "west" is the reason why you lose half of your paycheck for this , descent education, healthcare and a pension after working 40 years and paying taxes

how many thais actually pay any social contribution, tax, etc... always find an excuse not too...

47 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Tell me about it. Thankfully my two stepdaughters are through university and I only have my 11 year old son to worry about but that's enough, for a free schooling system the costs are amazingly high.

IF every body pays taxes then there would be money to help an education system.

How much tax do food vendors pay.....the ones on the beach....how much do jetski operators/speedboat owners pay....people who have a bar/restaurant......etc the list goes on and on.

One more for you.....people who rent out motorbikes or repair them.

HOW MUCH TAX DO THEY PAY????

None in my opinion

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

But the uniforms are far more important than the education! They are the start of the indoctrination process.

Yes, the schools officialdom like using the children to play at little soldiers with them.

Thailand is a militaristic country from the schools, to the police with their Lt/Cols and Maj/Gens. 

It is probably only a matter of time till the whistle blowing security guards start getting ranks. :cheesy:

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is probably only a matter of time till the whistle blowing security guards start getting ranks. :cheesy:

I told my wife to ignore whatever those whist-blowing guards tell you to do, as they regularly motion you forward in your car/motorcycle, then don't stop cross traffic.....they are about useless as tits on a bull, except more dangerous.

• Haha 2

Check out the prices in Big C the scout nonsense is not cheap, then there is the sports one, the casual one and the formal one. It's not about being cheap for the parents (it's not anyway) it's about indoctrination and regimentation. if they were bothered about have's competing with have not's why don't they ban iphones and expensive laptops.?

On 5/20/2019 at 2:37 PM, webfact said:

Several economic thinktanks have carried out surveys about the parent’s preparations for their children’s education and found that the back-to-school season is one of the biggest spending periods of the year for both high-income earning and low-income earners.

Also the biggest spending period of the year for farangs with school-age step-kids - as I can vouch for on the basis of personal experience!????????

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, legend49 said:

Obviously no planning as usual before they became parents.

Did your parents plan for you?

This has to be about the stupid post I have read for a few days.

Last week I bought 2 sets of blue shirts and tracksuit bottoms at 470 baht a set. The first 2 have lasted at least 2 years and the bottoms are still OK.

The collar of one blue shirt has been worn away with constant scrubbing as my son plays pickup basketball after school.

You can find shorts in some second hand markets but the shirts usually have the childs name embroidered on them.

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had posted it
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, essox essox said:

HOW MUCH TAX DO THEY PAY????

Direct? Probably nothing

Indirect? A lot - just look around the stores how many items are extremely overpriced in compare with the west

Anyway, more tax revenue would just lead to more graft and the 0.01% getting richer

If you believe that a Bavarian Lederhosen Jodler looks funny, have a look at male and female teachers in scout uniforms....

( Of course, are there some female exceptions) 

At least Clowns get paid some money for looking stupid and doing weird things. 

That alone reflects the whole of Thai education. 

Jodler.jpg

Oberjodler II.jpg