Change from extensions to an O visa.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The whole thread is asking a bit much, he appeared at post #1625 .

A good idea.  The thread is a bit long.  A number of people have told me they have asked Tom Thomson, Chief Executive Officer Pacific Cross to confirm and make him aware of such behavior by a salesperson at his company. 

Edited by marcusarelus

A good idea.  The thread is a bit long.  A number of people have told me they have asked Tom Thomson, Chief Executive Officer Pacific Cross to confirm and make him aware of such behavior by a salesperson at his company. 

Tom Thomson is the one who replied to my question ( see post #1632 ) .

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Tom Thomson is the one who replied to my question ( see post #1632 ) .

Well, he said, no if's ands or buts, you need insurance for extensions based on an O-A.  I think that's false information.  So I guess one would have to go a rung higher to confirm. 

Edited by marcusarelus

Well, he said, no if's ands or buts, you need insurance for extensions based on an O-A.  I think that's false information.  So I guess one would have to go a rung higher to confirm. 

Yes, but.

Have you tried asking your immigration office, I know it’s early doors and they probably will not have any answers but , at the end of the day, they are the ones who are going to have to know as they are the ones who are gonna physically stamp your passport with an extension stamp.

I hadn't heard of "extension based on O-A".

Am familiar with extensions based on retirement, married to a thai , parent of thai , etc. 

The insurance as far as I'm aware is for future applications for an O-A obtained in home country. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, but.

Have you tried asking your immigration office, I know it’s early doors and they probably will not have any answers but , at the end of the day, they are the ones who are going to have to know as they are the ones who are gonna physically stamp your passport with an extension stamp.

They said no insurance.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I hadn't heard of "extension based on O-A".

Am familiar with extensions based on retirement, married to a thai , parent of thai , etc. 

The insurance as far as I'm aware is for future applications for an O-A obtained in home country. 

I had an O-A visa and then got an extension and another and another .........  That is what the CEO of Pacific Cross said would need insurance. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I had an O-A visa and then got an extension and another and another .........  That is what the CEO of Pacific Cross said would need insurance. 

Its not your O-A visa that's being extended. You could of changed to extension of stay based on marriage (if you were married to a Thai for example). Meaning people often change the basis of their extension. Perhaps from marriage to retirement etc.

Insurance (so far) may be applied to new applications for O-A. 

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am sure he would! 

There has been NO posts saying this has been asked for.

Visas are only obtained outside Thailand.

Not true.  You can convert one type of visa to another within Thailand.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would have to go to a embassy or consulate to get a non-o visa.

Immigration only issues non immigrant visas based upon qualifying for an extension of stay if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

True.  I recently converted a TR to a Non-O within Thailand based on 800k in the bank.  The Visa clearly says 'must be used on the day of issuance'.  I received a further stay of 90 days.

21 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

so retirees can just pop over to laos and come back with a new non-o to beat the insurance requirement?

if this happens it'll be the biggest loophole since the visa-run

I haven't read all the threads or posts within those threads however something comes to mind.

It may have been already mentioned but retirement extensions now require that 400k be permanently kept in the account that the extension was based on, or maybe another account? The 400k permanently in the bank is a given.  Could it be that the intention of this is to replace the medical insurance requirement for people on those extensions?  Hence no current requirement for people on a Non-O to buy insurance.

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

It was on Thaivisa.  Read the whole thread to get his complete statement that extensions will need insurance.  I asked him, did you really write that?

Yes I see. He is sticking his neck out there that a requirement of the Mof FE, will be implemented by a police division, ie Immigration. I think we need to see some Police Order first. Nobody has yet posted of having been asked to produce Insurance during Extension renewal. More accurately, a few informed us  of specifically not being asked. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, lujanit said:

Not true.  You can convert one type of visa to another within Thailand.

It may be semantics but that would not be a Visa, as it would not allow you to enter the country. 

It is already used.

It is really converting your entry (Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry) into a Non-Imm O Entry. Purely issued for those seeking an Extension. 

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It may be semantics but that would not be a Visa, as it would not allow you to enter the country. 

It is already used.

It is really converting your entry (Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry) into a Non-Imm O Entry. Purely issued for those seeking an Extension. 

Semantics or not the entry in my Passport says 'Visa, Non Immigrant, Category O'

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

Semantics or not the entry in my Passport says 'Visa, Non Immigrant, Category O'

But you did not enter the country using it.... it is a cancelled/used Visa when you get it. 

On 5/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, ubonjoe said:

You would have to go to a embassy or consulate to get a non-o visa.

Immigration only issues non immigrant visas based upon qualifying for an extension of stay if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

I was told that when I finish my non-imm b, they will change it to an non o, without having to leave the country, as long as I have 400k I'm the bank and s letter of contact ending.

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was told that when I finish my non-imm b, they will change it to an non o, without having to leave the country, as long as I have 400k I'm the bank and s letter of contact ending.

Your visa category would not be changed.

You will be changing the reason for your extension of stay from working to marriage.

• Like 1