New Visa Application hampered by broken ankle - HELP

i was planing to renew my Ed Visa for a another year next month, by a trip upto Laos. However I have broken my ankle. I have a medical certificate which says I have a fracture and I am in a cast. But it does not state how long I will be unable to walk for. (Doctor thinks 8 weeks).

What is the procedure ? Is there a form at Immigration which would allow me an extension in the Kingdom until I can walk again ? Or would I have to do a visa run with a wheelchair ? Does any visa company provide such a service ? (I'm based in Pattaya)

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You

You can obtain a 90 day extension in the case of receiving medical treatment and unable to travel.

Section 2.25, Police Order 327/2557.

A. In the case of receiving medical treatment, attending rehabilitation, or taking
care of a patient:
(1) Must have been confirmed and requested by a physician of the
hospital or state medical institution providing said treatment with full explanation about the
illness, period of treatment, and the physician's opinion that the illness is an impediment to
travel.

You'll need a letter from the hospital stating firmly you are unable to travel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Most otherwise healthy people are capable of using crutches with their foot in a cast. Unless other factors are involved, I would be surprised if you can get a medical extension for a broken ankle.

Flying or long travel in confined spaces is not allowed with a cast on due to blood problem circulation. Also known as trombosis.

leg needs to be elevated which would be impossible in a van or airplane.

seen many people fly with broken legs? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

I doubt very much if he would qualify for an extension just because of a broken ankle.

The medical extensions are for people unable to travel, not just for people being inconvenienced.

He is unable to travel, most airlines would not board him unless he had clear certificate from doctors permitting air travel.

i was medically unfit to fly because of shoulder surgery   Broken leg by far more serious when it comes to air travel due to trombosis .

what if his leg swells up in mid air?

business or first class maybe an option as leg can be elevated but economy no chance 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Most otherwise healthy people are capable of using crutches with their foot in a cast. Unless other factors are involved, I would be surprised if you can get a medical extension for a broken ankle.

It depends if the doctor will supply the necessary letter.

Immigration will not question a physicians recommendation.

Have you every tried to obtain a set of crutches in Thailand.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It depends if the doctor will supply the necessary letter.

Immigration will not question a physicians recommendation.

Have you every tried to obtain a set of crutches in Thailand.

If he is been treated in a private hospital like Bangkok Pattaya , hospital actually can do the extension for him on basis unable to travel and seeking medical treatment . Not too sure if any cost involved in hospital doing it but service is available 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yes, I got some easily when I had hip surgery.

I doubt the viracity of the op.

You were fortunate.

When I required crutches for a couple of weeks following surgery, the hospital couldn't supply any because nobody brought them back.

We found a supplier, but they were out of stock!

I was house confined for a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Crutches in Thailand, the pharmacy in our local big C has them for sale.

Good for you. The pharmacy in our Big C doesn't sell them and I couldn't travel to your Big C at the time I needed them, because I needed crutches to get out of the house.

Just now, ratcatcher said:

"Have you every tried to obtain a set of crutches in Thailand."???

No, but there are many large pharmacies that sell everything from wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, bedpans and all sorts of appliances for the sick, injured and handicapped.

Fantastic, we have such a local supplier …….. I just couldn't get there because I had no crutches.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Fantastic, we have such a local supplier …….. I just couldn't get there because I had no crutches.

As i have already posted, why could you not get another person go get crutches for you?

Now take my situation, stuck at home, cannot get on my scooter without help.

Got a problem, wife not home, phone other Thai visa members !!HELP !!

There are 3 who would be here after getting a call.

Or i could shout out, there are 2 villagers who would come to help me, as has happened in the past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You were the one that asked the rhetorical question. You might have said "Crutches were unavailable in my area". As others have stated, crutches are not that hard to find if you look, but not in your area, apparently.

At the time I needed them, I lived alone in an apartment that I'd just taken possession of in a new area.

Knew nobody. Fortunately other Thai residents supplied me with basic essentials until I was mobile enough to get my own.

A number of neighbours tried, but failed to obtain a pair of crutches on my behalf.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As i have already posted, why could you not get another person go get crutches for you?

Now take my situation, stuck at home, cannot get on my scooter without help.

Got a problem, wife not home, phone other Thai visa members !!HELP !!

There are 3 who would be here after getting a call.

Or i could shout out, there are 2 villagers who would come to help me, as has happened in the past.

Local supplier, out of stock.

New area, knew nobody.

My situation was totally different to yours.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Flying or long travel in confined spaces is not allowed with a cast on due to blood problem circulation. Also known as trombosis.

leg needs to be elevated which would be impossible in a van or airplane.

seen many people fly with broken legs? 

I have flown myself with my arm in a cast (two days after the accident). I am pretty sure I have seen others with a foot cast fly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have flown myself with my arm in a cast (two days after the accident). I am pretty sure I have seen others with a foot cast fly.

Yes with medical approval but not very common was my point. Trombosis is a leg thing not arm thing????

Edited by BestB
  • Confused 1