Alzheimer's patient forced out of Thailand: Daughter tells Thaivisa they love Thailand but immigration rule changes mean mum must go

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Immigration refused to negotiate and allow the 86,000 baht to be considered as her mother's income. 

Guess I have not been paying attention to visa forums enough? 

Thought the 65,000 baht a month was still a viable method to get your one year visa extension?  

"The first way to get your Thailand Retirement Visa is to be able to prove that you earn enough money to live in Thailand. This means that you must earn at least 65,000 THB (as per the newest requirements released 12/26/2018). This equates to roughly $2,000 USD depending on the fluctuations in exchange rates." 

https://weexpats.com/retirement-visa-thailand-how-to-get-a-thailand-retirement-visa/

14 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Wow, In 40 years of visiting and working in the Philippines, I never once had a problem with finding edible food. What's wrong, don't you like Balut ?????

Correct. Balut is great. In the worst case there is a Jollibee almost everywhere. This country is a fast food heaven. The problem could start when you are in an area without fast food chains. Just drink a lot of Red Horse beer with the food then. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Half baked policy changes mean many good people are getting burned and many others are left feeling raw.

It will most likely come and bite them in the backside eventually. Wait until the higher spending tourists they are targeting to come here, get bored of this place, and find far better and more accommodating and clean nations to visit instead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Wow, In 40 years of visiting and working in the Philippines, I never once had a problem with finding edible food. What's wrong, don't you like Balut ?????

If only people looked, or even went there, they may realise flipper cuisine is very nice and varied. The pork actually tastes like pork

4 hours ago, aussienam said:

The reality is IMO that the Thai establishment no longer wish for low end expat spenders, preferring for upper middle and high end income earning expats.  Health insurance is obviously an issue as is other issues that could burden the Thai economy - but I feel in the whole scheme of things that this would only account for a small percentage.  I get that having people here financially self sufficient is a good idea, but their requirements I feel are too rigid and with the new laws it makes those who have been doing the right thing all along being punished.  Of course there are those who have caused problems and hence the crackdown and changes.  But I feel that there may be a bigger strategy here to change the face of those who come here.  There is always the Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam and probably a few other places as well that in time will cater better for expats and those needing care.   Sad for the lady though.  A bit of flexibility in circumstances like this would be good IMO.  

dont kid yourself, there is no lack of financially secure people including those with masters degrees and doctorates that are tired of the bs and like to decide where they deposit their money and for how long and dont entertain the philosophy that showing money = good person.

• Like 1

I thought that Thailand was a compassionate Buddhist country?

Isn't it a good thing that immigration rules in Europe are not so heartless to foreigners as Thailand's immigration is?

Many Thai citizens coming to Europe and other western countries are treated much better in Europe.

But we are a developed country. Thailand has some way to go.

Edited by Alan Michael
Added comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

Love the mentality, questioning isn't allowed,  follow  the  rule, obey, conform.

It would be nice to see this "Thai  Visa/Nation contacted immigration to hear their comment on this  case"

Obviously Thai immigration aren't very compassionate Buddhists.

I have seen old folks at immigration carted in a on wheel chairs who obviously shouldn't have left the hospital or home to do their visa business. I did see them get pushed to the front of the que so there is a bit of compassion there. But rules are rules. 

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

The story doesn't make sense.  First they say they don't have 800,000 to put in the bank and they are forced to move their mother out of Thailand.  But, then later in the story they say they put 800,000 in the bank and the mother could stay until February of next year but they decide to move the mother anyway as her condition has deteriorated and it's 'now or never'.  So, in reality, the mother isn't being 'forced out' of Thailand.  It sounds like they found an alternative in the Philippines that's 1/3 cheaper and that's the real reason they are moving her.   Maybe they are hoping to get some sympathy donations with their pseudo sob story.  

Spot on, this is the perfect spot to get some feel goods along with the Thai bashing that goes on. They lied to the consulate about the income statement over the years and now they do not want to put the cash in the bank. Great family true christian spirit they have for old mom

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, wmccpa112253 said:

There is more to this story than the successful young business owners are telling you.  I don’t believe anything they say.  

Where is the woman’s social security checks going?  Where is the gain on sale of their successful business and or what did they spend it on?

A lot of unanswered questions!

A lot of "small businesses" don't pay much SS tax because they deduct so much as "business expenses".  The SS payout is based on income.  Small income, small retirement checks.

The young people who "drop out of society" and become "Digital Nomads" or "Web Entrepreneurs" are taking short term pleasure but shooting themselves in the feet when it comes to getting a big Social Security check amount. ????

• Sad 1