ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Floods devastate Pattaya and surrounding areas after late night storms

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mike787 said:

Just another day in Pattaya.

A public education program in garbage disposal would be a start.  I'm sure I read last year that the drains were blocked with plastic bags etc.

Wash, rinse, dry, repeat..... this is the ever declining circle of life in Thailand...……. never resolve.... soon there will be a world heartfelt cry for a football team and a coach that have become lost in a cave system....

9 minutes ago, masuk said:

A public education program in garbage disposal would be a start.  I'm sure I read last year that the drains were blocked with plastic bags etc.

I'm sure you did read that the "drains were blocked with plastic" last year, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story, and the year before, same story,

Think you can see where this is going..............................

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Now now chaps & chapeses, don't be too hard on the beach ???? The sand is still around the beach, just not where it was meant to be ???? The back hoes will be hard at work soon putting it all back just for it to disappear again sometime soon. ???? 

On a more serious note, it started raining about 12.00 pm as I was on my way to bed, it really hissed it down for well over an hour and then the power went off at 12.50 pm for appx an hour, most uncomfortable. it didn't stop raining all night and it was still raining when I got up at 09.30 this morning.

Picture No.2 shows the scale of the rubbish problem which goes a long way to exacerbating the problem.

So you slept from 12 noon till the morning you ought to be well rested lol ????

Ref floods in Pattaya 

20 years ago I had a bar in soi post office 

every year the road flooded in and around soi post 

new drainage pipes where installed 

with all the kitchen and bar hotel waste water etc running into the new pipes along with all the cooking waste from the street venders

it took only 6 months for the pipes to get blocked with all the fats and various waste 

15 years later as I walk into soi post I see the main grated soak away still blocked this is the same of all soi s 

leading to the beach with to access to the main drains how can they expect the rain water to run into the sea 

the local government never unblock 

they say it’s done regularly 

but it might say on paperwork 

but never gets done properly 

easy problem solved if cleaning is actually done 

????????????

This is not news. It happens every year.  The City Authorities have no idea how to go about dealing with it and they never will.  Its too late now to build the normal monsoon defences seen all around Singapore and that's the only way that this can ever be combated. It's a  lost cause I'm afraid; actually, I don't know why I wrote that last bit, I really don't care a jot what happens to and in Pattaya. 

54 minutes ago, CGW said:

Sounds like Singapore, the other end of the scale is off course Pattaya it only gets worse due to lack of planning and GREED!

Many years ago, too many to recall, when I was based in Singapore, we had a monsoon ditch outside our house running the length of the street,  It must have been 20 feet across and at least 15 feet deep.  They were a common sight then, as now.  never had any flooding, despite monsoon rains the like that Thailand hardly ever experiences. 

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, I find this image and comment suitably fitting for Pattaya....

2111799441_2019-05-3014_41_50.jpg.f82eda22d85bb92daa930241cbf8472d.jpg

Thailand has the most plastic litter per person in the world.  Look at the new youtube video about thailands environment 

32 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

This is not news. It happens every year.  The City Authorities have no idea how to go about dealing with it and they never will.  Its too late now to build the normal monsoon defences seen all around Singapore and that's the only way that this can ever be combated. It's a  lost cause I'm afraid; actually, I don't know why I wrote that last bit, I really don't care a jot what happens to and in Pattaya. 

Agreed.

Came,Saw,Departed.

Not only my view but Julius Caesar's as well....

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is irritating me... just had to pump some out of my pool and next week all of it will have to go down the drain as I am having work done. Bet it is dry and sunny when I come to refill it and I will have to pay to get water trucked in!

Cry me a river!

Sorry, but it just seemed strangely appropriate under the circumstances.   

It is irritating me... just had to pump some out of my pool and next week all of it will have to go down the drain as I am having work done. Bet it is dry and sunny when I come to refill it and I will have to pay to get water trucked in!

No problem in my Isaan, rain every day for about 3 weeks. 

Nong Bua Lamphu. 

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I first visited Pattaya in 1979, they had flooding problems then, now, 40 years later they still have no clue as to how to resolve the problem. I could give them some direction within a few hours, but hey, I don't live there so it doesn't bother me!

It's Thailand.  It floods.  Always has and always will do.  Just like many countries in the world.

Must be a pain to have that much money

3 hours ago, smedly said:

your proper solution would cost a lot of money which they don't want to spend

In countries were you have heavy rainfall over short periods you need very large infrastructure to deal with it - you also need proper City Planning and regulations - the only way to fix pattaya's flooding problem is to install massive road size storm drains at key points from East to West on the surface and right out into the sea, it would require demolishing many properties 

The demolition of many properties would be good.

Pattaya needs some green spaces

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I first visited Pattaya in 1979, they had flooding problems then, now, 40 years later they still have no clue as to how to resolve the problem. I could give them some direction within a few hours, but hey, I don't live there so it doesn't bother me!

Lord, don't even mention contracting the Dutch to fix the problem.

1979: Have you though about contacting the Dutch to help you solve your flooding problems?
1979: "We no need foreigner help."
Forty years later...
2019: Have you though about contacting the Dutch to help you solve your flooding problems?
2019: "We no need foreigner help."

Archived