Floods devastate Pattaya and surrounding areas after late night storms

webfact

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I first visited Pattaya in 1979, they had flooding problems then, now, 40 years later they still have no clue as to how to resolve the problem. I could give them some direction within a few hours, but hey, I don't live there so it doesn't bother me!

Cleaning the blocked drains before the storms arrive would probably be a good start.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, smedly said:

your proper solution would cost a lot of money which they don't want to spend

In countries were you have heavy rainfall over short periods you need very large infrastructure to deal with it - you also need proper City Planning and regulations - the only way to fix pattaya's flooding problem is to install massive road size storm drains at key points from East to West on the surface and right out into the sea, it would require demolishing many properties 

They should build some underground water storage solution, much like the one build in Rotterdam, The Netherlands: 

A build up of trash by drains in Soi Wat Bun Samphan was inhibiting fast drainage.”

Another case of Thai littering causing damage and environmental problems but I’m sure the felangs will be blamed, they’re good at that. 

I am disappointed by the lack of vision shown by TV members.

It must be obvious that the hyper intelligent and forward thinking planners have decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Allow plastic garbage to build up over a period of years so that it blocks all natural and man made run off, while also negating the need to clear said plastics.

Then, re-market Pattaya as the Venice of the east.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cleaning the blocked drains before the storms arrive would probably be a good start.

That's what the rains do.

Cooking fats, waste, laundry grey water.

All going into the same drain. 

Many food vendors cover the drains to stop the stench. 

I wonder why?

Should be three separate pipes.

Storm water. 

Household grey water.

Sewerage.

Here we have an all in one system. 

Then straight into the ocean. 

When oh when are the government going to step in to sort this flooding out in Pattaya,  every year over the last 40yrs it is still happening, each year the government puts millions into the Pataya council money bag, which every one assumes on good evidence, they say, gets shared out by the mayor. 

It will never change. The council needs to be investigated where the money goes. No mention about the Sukumvite Tunnel with water.

the Mayor will have that sealed off from reporters.

it there is possibilities of water in there, they will have the tunnel closed for some invented reason.

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I first visited Pattaya in 1979, they had flooding problems then, now, 40 years later they still have no clue as to how to resolve the problem. I could give them some direction within a few hours, but hey, I don't live there so it doesn't bother me!

You think you could give them some direction....but you can't.......some Thais don't even need Google 'cos they know everything!

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

But for sure everyone who was in charge the last 40 years drives a Benz or more...

Same shit happens in all Western European countries, from 50 years ago to today: 
EVERY year, we have 5-6 small summer storms in France, Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, etc.
EVERY year, damage to infrastructure, water entering houses up to one meter high.
Our governments do nothing, only advice to have an insurance policy.
They even build villages in lower areas, formerly known as flood areas.

I’ve never been to America, only know they have some hurricanes, tornadoes, EVERY year again. Only a few days ago, more than 60,000 homes were without power, restoration efforts could take weeks.
What they do to prevent ?

Not one country can handle natural violence, so stop putting your shit on Thailand.

The only solution:
Look at all the streets in Pattaya during storms; they become rivers. You’ll need sewers as big as the streets, all over, under every street.
If in the early days better infrastructure was provided, the misery would be halve, not disappear. We still would be making jokes at Thaivisa.

And please, do not ask the Dutch to help solve flooding problems. After 1953 the spend billions on Delta Works, knowing it is lost money. Or what about the gas operations in Northern parts of that country. Really, you don’t want that gouvernement in your country !

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Would any sensible person agree to drive his/her car like they do in the picture?

Perhaps the car was parked somewhere where the water was going to get even deeper and moving it was the best option.

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

You farang. You know nothing. We Thai. We know everything

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Family resort needs a bit of maintenance 

It need bulldozing & a complete re-think.... with a new set of governors & officials in place who know how to run & maintain a city... not just take the profits & squander it!

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A build up of trash by drains in Soi Wat Bun Samphan was inhibiting fast drainage. 

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, if they will have councils that are not there to maintain the city infrastructure, but for other purposes ( and you know what I'm talking about ) this will only continue.

Wonder how all those big mall owners decided to move to a city that was a disaster, infrastructure wise ( no need to answer- we can guess! ).

Gee wizz, one would think that such storms had never occurred in Pattaya before, but as it only takes a normal rain to flood Beach Rd, no prizes for anticipating worse flooding in an actual storm.

Shame of it is that had there been any competent people on the council, and had the money actually been spent on drains, and had the contractors had workers that actually knew how to do drains, none of this would have happened.

Gosh, and I can remember how before they widened Beach Rd, there never seemed to be as much flooding.

Soooooo, as long as it's business as usual in city hall, expect no change in the future.

14 hours ago, Nokbkk said:

Not one country can handle natural violence, so stop putting your shit on Thailand.

LOL. Singapore gets just as much rain as LOS, and they manage to avoid floods. Perhaps it's because they actually have a government that does its job and doesn't look at a government job as an opportunity to make money.

14 hours ago, Nokbkk said:

Look at all the streets in Pattaya during storms; they become rivers. You’ll need sewers as big as the streets, all over, under every street.

No problem. It just needs a government that will spend the money where it is intended for.

Let's face it, we know why Pattaya is a disaster area, and the only question is will it ever change?

Archived