800K 5 Months 400K Indefinitely In Bank For Ext To Stay Based In Retirement

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

I have never been forced to use an agent. And I don't know anyone else that has either.

If you understood Thai bureaucracy you would understand and that, in most cases, employees will follow their instructions to the letter and if the boss says photos must be upside down and on pink paper thats what they will insist you provide.

I accept that at one or two offices the staff are pushing applicants to use agents, but the authorities are not encouraging the use of agents.

Complete nonsense!

I can see where you are coming from Elviajero, but I do not think that JackThompson is talking as you say, complete nonsense.

The posted answers are ridiculous.. It's blatantly obvious that the new rules are to stop retirees cheating the system by using agents to put up the required money . The whole idea of retirement visa is that retirees have sufficient funds, just like in any other country. It would appear to me that the posted answers are by people who are trying to cheat the system

30 minutes ago, Toany said:

I disagree. I think it is because of the Thai Governments dislike of expats! They put up with the rich ones.

In Thailand goal posts have wheels

What is it you actually disagree about? I get the impression that you actually agree.

22 hours ago, Graviton said:

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the new rule from 1st March

It's a guess, sorry, but probably on the mark.  it's a gift to the lobbyists of the Thai banking industry.  

22 hours ago, yodsak said:

To stop agents.

Exactly who are cheating the system by putting in the money in the applicant's bank. I would have thought anybody with a bit of intelligence would realise this

What is it you actually disagree about? I get the impression that you actually agree.
What I quoted implied that the Thai government disliked only poor expats.
I think they dislike all expats, but are will to put up with you, if you are rich and can be milked

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

The reason seems pretty simple to me.  You are not using the monthly income method so Thailand wants you to be able to show you have money to support yourself here.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Except that the 65k per month is retrospective with no indication that they can meet the current year's expenses.

11 minutes ago, newnative said:

The reason seems pretty simple to me.  You are not using the monthly income method so Thailand wants you to be able to show you have money to support yourself here.  Makes perfect sense to me.

So challenging your explanation?

5 months you cannot use any and 12 months you have a balance of 400,000 you can never touch....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gamini said:

The posted answers are ridiculous.. It's blatantly obvious that the new rules are to stop retirees cheating the system by using agents to put up the required money .

Agents operate by putting the money in the retiree's account for A Few Hours Only

The previous 3 months seasoning rule - If Enforced On Agents - would have shut that system down.  It wasn't shut down then, and it still isn't, with 5-mo 800K and perpetual seasoning on 400K.

26 minutes ago, gamini said:

The whole idea of retirement visa is that retirees have sufficient funds, just like in any other country. It would appear to me that the posted answers are by people who are trying to cheat the system

The agenda is for immigration to make tea-money.  They don't care about the well-being of the country, as is obvious by their increasingly draconian policies, which reduce paying customers for Thai businesses and employees.  

Immigration wants people to use agents - and this rule-change does nothing to affect Agent-applications, so has zero effect on those "cheating the system," (encouraged by "the system" to do so).  But, it definitely does hurt the honest applicants who had financially-planned to meet the previous rules.

If the above doesn't make sense, I encourage a re-reading of Orwell's book _1984_, with particular attention to the concept of "double-speak."  This is not unique to Thailand; rather, it is a staple both government and corporate public-relations / selling policy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Agents operate by putting the money in the retiree's account for A Few Hours Only

The previous 3 months seasoning rule - If Enforced On Agents - would have shut that system down.  It wasn't shut down then, and it still isn't, with 5-mo 800K and perpetual seasoning on 400K.

The agenda is for immigration to make tea-money.  They don't care about the well-being of the country, as is obvious by their increasingly draconian policies, which reduce paying customers for Thai businesses and employees.  

Immigration wants people to use agents - and this rule-change does nothing to affect Agent-applications, so has zero effect on those "cheating the system," (encouraged by "the system" to do so).  But, it definitely does hurt the honest applicants who had financially-planned to meet the previous rules.

If the above doesn't make sense, I encourage a re-reading of Orwell's book _1984_, with particular attention to the concept of "double-speak."  This is not unique to Thailand; rather, it is a staple both government and corporate public-relations / selling policy.

I like....

“Brave New World”

Andrew Huxley

6 hours ago, Toany said:

If it is complete nonsense, why are they asking owners to turn up in person to file the TM 30?

Making any foreigner complete a TM.30 is complete nonsense! BUT that has nothing to do with the comment I am claiming as complete nonsense.

The increased enforcement of the TM.30 is mostly due to the Bangkok bombing and the authorities wanting to keep better tabs on all foreigners. It’s not specific to ‘retirees’ or the recent changes.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Making any foreigner complete a TM.30 is complete nonsense! BUT that has nothing to do with the comment I am claiming as complete nonsense.

The increased enforcement of the TM.30 is mostly due to the Bangkok bombing and the authorities wanting to keep better tabs on all foreigners. It’s not specific to ‘retirees’ or the recent changes.

I thought the Only case of a foreigner having to fill in a TM 30 was if he owned a condo?

22 minutes ago, Graviton said:

5 months you cannot use any and 12 months you have a balance of 400,000 you can never touch....

Nobody is saying you can never 'touch' it.  It's not locked away out of your reach.  Obviously, it is there to support you should you need it--for example, an unexpected large medical bill.

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Nobody is saying you can never 'touch' it.  It's not locked away out of your reach.  Obviously, it is there to support you should you need it--for example, an unexpected large medical bill.

You can never touch it if you want to apply for your next extension. It's a ridiculous and onerous rule. Have a reserve for an emergency and then if you actually need to use it mess up your residency status going forward. This policy in itself should be a clear message about how we are regarded as humans here. It's writing on the wall in flashing neon lights.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Then next year no extn balance went less than 400k?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Graviton said:

Apologies, not read every post in this topic, but where does '5' months of keeping 400K in the bank come from?

I read on another forum, that in "special" cases, if someone used the 400000, it would be at the discretion of the officer who handled the case to grant a renewal or not. 

Discretion, I presume, meaning an agreement can be found at a certain cost. 

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Apologies, not read every post in this topic, but where does '5' months of keeping 400K in the bank come from?

Police order effective March 2019.

Seasoning for 800K baht bank applications. 

2 months before (some offices INCORRECTLY enforcing as 3 which has already messed up some people) at least 800K

3 months AFTER extension granted at least 800K

The remainder of the year before the next 800K seasoning period, no less than 400K

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Its not " 5 months of keeping 400k in the bank''.

Its 5 months of keeping 800k in the bank to 'season it' for a Retirement Extension.

After its seasoned its a case of only ever taking a max out of that 800k of 400k.

So 400k is to be left untouched for however long you wish to stay in Thailand.

How anyone can decide its for health backup when if the amount goes under 400k EVER , the Retiree must leave the country at next renewal is beyond me..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Police order effective March 2019.

Seasoning for 800K baht bank applications. 

2 months before (some offices INCORRECTLY enforcing as 3 which has already messed up some people) at least 800K

3 months AFTER extension granted at least 800K

The remainder of the year before the next 800K seasoning period, no less than 400K

12 months.

-3 after, -2 before = 7 months 400K in bank.

Its not " 5 months of keeping 400k in the bank''.
Its 5 months of keeping 800k in the bank to 'season it' for a Retirement Extension.
After its seasoned its a case of only ever taking a max out of that 800k of 400k.
So 400k is to be left untouched for however long you wish to stay in Thailand.

How anyone can decide its for health backup when if the amount goes under 400k EVER , the Retiree must leave the country at next renewal is beyond me..

It is a back up for the government. When you go broke because of ill health. You will have 400,000฿ to go to your hospital bill before they kick you out of the country

• Like 1

Just now, Tanoshi said:

12 months.

-3 after, -2 before = 7 months 400K in bank.

People need to be careful about the 2 before. As said some offices are enforcing as 3 before and we have reports of people being caught up on that. Massively unfair because that enforcement is INCORRECT but tough luck if it happens. 

• Like 1

Just now, Toany said:

It is a back up for the government. When you go broke because of ill health. You will have 400,000฿ to go to your hospital bill before they kick you out of the country

You're speculating. From an expats POV, it's simply onerous.