Combination method for retirement extensions

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes but the unclear and problematic thing about the combo method started with the new rules. Especially if you don't have an embassy letter for income but also for the banked part where bank method seasoning pre AND post is supposed to apply to the bank portion, but the specific mechanics of that are not even mentioned in the police order.

You always have such a positive optimistic opinion going forward.

Your confidence must inspire others to try.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I've noticed over the months that some members (without naming names) have been actively promoting that people plan for using the combo method even though it is clearly both unclear and problematic. The gist of that argument seems to be -- look, the police orders says it's still an option, go ahead and plan to apply that way, no worries, you can always point to the police order if there is pushback.

I think that is horrible advice!

Agree. I'm switching to the 800,000 in the bank for my next extension. Maybe when/if the dust settles on the combo method in a couple of years I'll revert to that, but for the time being, the (relative) peace of mind is worth the inconvenience. I really don't want to be told I'll have to travel to Laos for a new non Imm O and start the extension process over again just because I got something wrong using the combo method ... despite all the conflicting expert advice on TV.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Agree. I'm switching to the 800,000 in the bank for my next extension. Maybe when/if the dust settles on the combo method in a couple of years I'll revert to that, but for the time being, the (relative) peace of mind is worth the inconvenience. I really don't want to be told I'll have to travel to Laos for a new non Imm O and start the extension process over again just because I got something wrong using the combo method ... despite all the conflicting expert advice on TV.

Even more so if you can't show at least 12 months deposits back with no income letter for the combo application this year. I think leniency would be out of the question on such a combination application unless maybe if the deposits that you do show under 12 totaled up plus the deposit are at least 800K. 

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Maybe a few weeks by the sea in a couple of months! ????

If this means you want to do your next extension at Jomtien, remember you'll need to "officially" change your address to the area around Pattaya that is served by Jomtien/Chonburi Immigrations first.

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Even more so if you can't show at least 12 months deposits back with no income letter for the combo application this year. I think leniency would be out of the question on such a combination application unless maybe if the deposits that you do show under 12 totaled up plus the deposit are at least 800K. 

And potentially losing any grandfathering benefits if minimums are raised.

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'm a bit confused by this, though maybe I'm missing something, if you, or your agent on your behalf, waits until 6 months till the next extension, just how many 90 days are in 6 months?

Got my visa ext' in November. didn't pick up my 90 day in Feb. Picked up latest one in May. Next 90 day due in Aug'. 

I wanted to know from my agent if I needed to do anything between May 15th and November.

She said; "nothing changed, everything same."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

She said; "nothing changed, everything same."

A Letter of Income/Affidavit, for extension of retirement, is also still accepted (so far) from all the countries which embassy/consulate is still issuing. 

Understandable there is a lot of vexation/irration from many Americans, Australians, British. 

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

A Letter of Income/Affidavit, for extension of retirement, is also still accepted (so far) from all the countries which embassy/consulate is still issuing. 

Understandable there is a lot of vexation/irration from many Americans, Australians, British. 

I am English, and I'm assured by my agent that nothing has changed. I'll keep TVF members posted, but the agent has a good record. If not, then it's back to Laos; again.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

Since your transferred income would be in baht their would be no exchange rate factor. You and immigration would use the total of 12 months of transfers to determine your annual income to determine the minimum you need to have in the bank.

As a hypothetical ... no I haven't done this nor am I writing "on behalf of a friend ... 

Suppose you have 800,000 in the bank well in advance of when you plan to use that method. Then just before you go in to renew your extension you screw up and your balance drops down to Baht 788,000 for a couple of days.

Could you then claim you have had a balance of Baht 788,000 and have a record of monthly deposits of > Baht 1000 and want to use the combination method?? 

36 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Could you then claim you have had a balance of Baht 788,000 and have a record of monthly deposits of > Baht 1000 and want to use the combination method?? 

I that would be pushing the limit of what immigration would accept.

A larger amount of income would be more acceptable.

• Like 2

I posted today about my experience using the combo method at CW yesterday (5 June).  This is the paragraph about that:

BTW, I used one of the last US embassy affidavits (dated 27 December 2018) and the combo method (income plus money in bank totaling at least 800K).  It became clear to me and the wife that even TI at CW was not entirely sure how much of the money in the bank (i.e. the difference between income and 800K) needed to stay in the account for 3 months after the extension, and how much needed to remain in the bank all year.  Three different TOs gave us 3 different interpretations of the "new rule".  Next year I will use the income method (65K transferred monthly from outside).  Later, I might switch to the 800K in the bank method, but I will definitely avoid the combo method as a bit too uncertain.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I that would be pushing the limit of what immigration would accept.

A larger amount of income would be more acceptable.

Thanks @ubonjoe I'm wondering about your opinion on a reverse situation. 

In the last 3 months I have made 425 000b in transfers (88 000b 293 000b and 44 000b). So if I made payments of 35 000b for 8 months (Total 280 000b) and the 2 months before the seasoning deposit of 100 000b. Do you believe this would be acceptable.

410 000 first 3 months

280 000 next 8 months (excluding 2 months before below)

100 000 2 months before the application

810 000 Total

Jomtien is my immigration office though it's probably not relevant for this example.

I'm not actually proposing an obtuse hypothesis here. This would actually work for me quite well as I pay my rent annually hence the large deposit in the first 3 months. 

14 minutes ago, 1 said:

410 000 first 3 months

280 000 next 8 months (excluding 2 months before below)

100 000 2 months before the application

810 000 Total

That might be accepted this year but the requirement is normally 12 months of transfers into the country.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That might be accepted this year but the requirement is normally 12 months of transfers into the country.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. It is 12 months of transfers it's just that the 10th month transfer will also be the seeding deposit of the 100 000b. It clearly won't be exactly these numbers but the basic premise is much the same.

The main takeaway here is that the transfers are all of different sizes to satisfy the 800 000b 

8 x 35 000

1 x 44000

1 x 88 000

1 x 293 000

1 x 100 000

I hope this makes more sense.

Cheers

25 minutes ago, 1 said:

The main takeaway here is that the transfers are all of different sizes to satisfy the 800 000b

That may be accepted but I am sure immigration would question you about why the monthly income varied so much for a some months.

• Thanks 1