Chinese men accused of stealing at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Where did the theft occur in the airport? I often wonder at the busy carousels  anyone can take any luggage as there is no check of luggage tags to boarding ticket ( other countries apply this security measure) as you leave customs area and become non air side.

Actually they caught some guys doing just that last year I believe, they would come in on a flight from their home country and then once they disembarked at Suvarnabhumi they would wander over to the carousel where luggage was coming in from an overseas flight and take off with some of it, they seem to have more security around the luggage carousels now but still don't check luggage to check claims, they don't do that back home either though that I am aware of.

A different headline for Foreigners from Western countries.

They come to Thailand to take other peoples' stuff and they think about deportation only?

Edited by Rimmer
OTT image removed
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

Where did the theft occur in the airport? I often wonder at the busy carousels  anyone can take any luggage as there is no check of luggage tags to boarding ticket ( other countries apply this security measure) as you leave customs area and become non air side.

Vietnam Hanoi airport for one. But I recall it was when exiting the arrival hall to go outside the terminal.

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

The only country I've seen that done is the USA, and it's very good idea. On the other hand, how often do we hear of someone's suitcase being stolen from the carousel? A very risky thing to do, when the owner of the suitcase might be standing close to you when you try to steal it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

How about throwing them in the slammer for a few years before deporting them  ?

No need.  They will most likely be punished harder upon arrival in China.

1000 Euros stolen from a British Tourist.... Interesting, since when is the Euro the currency there? They use the Pound Sterling so no one will first change it to Euros and then bring to Thailand.

Risk vs reward...pay for a plane ticket to come to Thailand then pinch a suitcase full of someone else dirty clothes and a lap top worth next to nothing, in one of the most high surveillance areas you could find...Doesn't quite pay good dividends! How thick can you get?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Of all the countries I have visited I have only seen that measure applied in Vietnam in Hanoi and that was quite a few years ago didn’t happen on the last trip about two years ago.

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

I do travel quite often to countries outside Thailand (Europe/USA/Australia/NZ), but I have never seen a check of luggage tags or tickets as one leaves customs. Which countries do this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Risk vs reward...pay for a plane ticket to come to Thailand then pinch a suitcase full of someone else dirty clothes and a lap top worth next to nothing, in one of the most high surveillance areas you could find...Doesn't quite pay good dividends! How thick can you get?

Who would be stupid enough to put a laptop in a suitcase to get battered about? Even an old one.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The only country I've seen that done is the USA, and it's very good idea. On the other hand, how often do we hear of someone's suitcase being stolen from the carousel? A very risky thing to do, when the owner of the suitcase might be standing close to you when you try to steal it.

China airports used to tally luggage receipt with the luggage tag but drop that after a while maybe theft wasn’t rampant .

if caught with other people’s bag, they can always plead mistaken luggage as most look the same or similar. 

Edited by Ctkong

3 hours ago, ian007 said:

1000 Euros stolen from a British Tourist.... Interesting, since when is the Euro the currency there? They use the Pound Sterling so no one will first change it to Euros and then bring to Thailand.

Are you trolling on your first post?

If not, what a very odd thing to say! I'm British but I don't just limit my travels to UK and Thailand. I've had Euros and USD remaining from other trips and exchanged them in Thailand several times and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

4 hours ago, shaurene said:

It is increasingly getting obvious that the Thai government are being  directed by the Chines Government.

if these thieves were WESTERNERS they would be locked up and booked in to the court for sentencing, with a huge fine. 

When are are the Government going to realise that the Westerners helped Thailand to grow, NOT THE CHINESE.

The Chines control the amount they spend on holidays.

You said The Chinese control the amount they spend on holidays.  In some cases that may be true but the shear numbers of them make up for the little they spend, say 50,000 Chinese spending 1,000 baht a day or 4,000 farangs spending 5,000 baht a day.  I bought a condo last year and while waiting to be driven back to my car 6 Chinese couples came into the office , asked how much for the condos and 1 lady opened a briefcase and took out the cash in US dollars