Trump urges Israel to 'get their act together' amid election turmoil

webfact

Trump urges Israel to 'get their act together' amid election turmoil

2019-06-03T014120Z_1_LYNXNPEF5202G_RTROPTP_4_USA-ISRAEL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as he meets with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House in Washington, U.S., March 25, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump, voicing impatience with close ally Israel, said on Sunday he was not happy about electoral upheaval there and urged the Israelis to "get their act together."

Israeli lawmakers voted to dissolve parliament on Thursday, paving the way for a new election on Sept. 17 after veteran Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu failed to form a government before a midnight deadline.

Trump is expected to keep up his support for Netanyahu, a right-wing leader who has forged close ties with the U.S. president over their tough stances on the Palestinians and Israel's arch-foe Iran.

But the latest uncertainties clouding Israeli politics are expected to further delay the Trump administration's long-awaited Middle East peace plan, which already faces deep scepticism from many experts. Palestinians have boycotted the effort, seeing it as heavily tilted in favour of Israel and denying them a state of their own.

The need to go to the polls again so soon after a closely contested April 9 election in which Netanyahu had claimed victory showed a new weakness in a leader who has been in power for the past decade.

"Israel is all messed up in their election," Trump told reporters at the White House before leaving on a European trip. "They have to get their act together."

"Bibi got elected and now they have to go through the process again? We’re not happy about that," Trump said.

(Reporting by Katanga Johnson; Writing by Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-03

5 hours ago, newatthis said:

Does he really believe that the Israeli or Pommie people care what he thinks? Maybe they think that he doesn't think? 

The Israelis do care. If there is one country in the world that loves him, it's Israel, where he seems to enjoy a popularity of over 90%.

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

The Israelis do care. If there is one country in the world that loves him, it's Israel, where he seems to enjoy a popularity of over 90%.

That figure would be extremely unlikely considering Israel's large Arab minority, and the fact that Center-Left parties won way more than 10% of the votes in the recent elections.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I guess he is worrying in the event that Natanyahoo's zionists don't win.

I guess you're not really all that informed about political views of present parties. If anything Netanyahu's party and those aligned with it are more likely to reject Trump's so-called Deal of the Century.

I am well enough informed to know that the Deal of the Century is dead in the water. A deal takes two parties to make, Israel and Palestine, and Palestine has already rejected it. I doubt they will even turn up for talks....after all the US is out of weapons, they already withdrew all funding. 

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I am well enough informed to know that the Deal of the Century is dead in the water. A deal takes two parties to make, Israel and Palestine, and Palestine has already rejected it. I doubt they will even turn up for talks....after all the US is out of weapons, they already withdrew all funding. 

Yeah, still not sure how this relates to your previous post. Even if Netanyahu is into this "deal", it's a good question whether his coalition partners will play along. From this angle, Trump ought to hope for either Netanyahu's clear electoral failure, or a situation where a wide unity government between the two main parties emerges.

8 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...guess they put all the charges against..... 'Bibi'....on hold....???

...so he could get ....'reelected'....???

....Donald...really...what do you stand for.....???

???

Not put put on hold, but not filed yet. The prospect of them materializing after elections played a part both during the campaign, and the following horsetrading. The issue is more to do with Netanyahu trying to get laws changed so he'll be protected, while at the same time doing his best to "kill" the legal proceedings. Also, coalition partners mostly back him up on this politically, which in turn implies more leverage.

Doubt Trump stands for anything that relates to rule of law and good governance.

18 hours ago, wombat said:

"get their act together."
yup, and have at it with that other mob you keep sabre rattling with while 
you're at it.

Indeed. Trump, always the consummate diplomat.

What silver-tongued bast**d.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:08 AM, Morch said:

Trump seems to be unaware that Israel doesn't have quite the same system as the USA. Guess figuring out how forging a coalition is different to "got elected" might be beyond him. Netanyahu wasn't "elected" as Prime Minister, but simply heads the party which (in theory) had the best chances to form a coalition. The difficulties in doing so were discussed prior to the elections, and obviously after results were in.

Got to love that royal "we", though. Maybe he's prepping for his upcoming UK visit - "We are not amused.".

you got it wrong. Trump is basically ordering Israel and Israelis to get a leader supporting US and Trump.

a clear example like how it is actually Usrael and not Israel.

poor Israelis sandwiched between corrupt Bibi and bigot Trump.

i havent seen any criticism from any Israeli news for Trump's words.

and why an election then? 

let Trump choose a president for Israel and all good!

2 hours ago, Galactus said:

you got it wrong. Trump is basically ordering Israel and Israelis to get a leader supporting US and Trump.

a clear example like how it is actually Usrael and not Israel.

That's your interpretation. Not aware of any serious candidate with anti-USA sentiment, or one which directly goes out against Trump anyway. If Trump's comment was related to possible delays in presenting his so-called Deal of the Century, then my take holds.

1 hour ago, Galactus said:

poor Israelis sandwiched between corrupt Bibi and bigot Trump.

i havent seen any criticism from any Israeli news for Trump's words.

and why an election then? 

let Trump choose a president for Israel and all good!

I doubt anyone paid it much attention. That's why.

Your standing nonsense is dully noted.