Game changing Sukhumvit Happy Hour

moontang

And do they make any money with this?

It seems most of the guys who are interested in very cheap prices go to the places with the cheap prices and only dink the cheap staff. If half an hour the happy hour is over they leave. Or if they get the beer 10B cheaper they leave.

What's the point of having customers like that?

Obviously there are also some not cheap charley guys drinking at happy hour. But they would do that anyhow even if the beer would be more expensive.

• Like 1

Seems like it can really bring out the drinkers.  San Fran and DC both are great HH cities.. Minneapolis, too.  The answer is they can lose less with these things.  I knew a bar that did 10,000 us in one night on dollar Bud night.. Maybe a fourth was dollar beers.. but it got people to meet there and it just fed on itself.  The Oakland As used to give free admission to ladies in hotpants on usually slow nights.. World Series Champs 72,73,74...Promos are good for the consumer, and lets the business utilize excess capacity.  There are few examples of great companies that don't do promos, and even fewer in the bar business. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Had it confused with Down Under.. Thx... Also noticed Tiger and Heineken on the 39 THB list.  Schooners sound interesting, too.  One of the most successful bars of all time in Northern Virginia served beer in Schooners. 

13 minutes ago, moontang said:

Had it confused with Down Under.. Thx... Also noticed Tiger and Heineken on the 39 THB list.  Schooners sound interesting, too.  One of the most successful bars of all time in Northern Virginia served beer in Schooners. 

Schooners sound like warm beer to me.

• Like 2

Sukhumvit soi 4 the Irish theme bar sell pints between 8am and 8 pm at 99 baht a pint. I often have a few in there before going to the airport to catch my flight to Udon.

Airport pints are 270 a pint.

2 hours ago, mlkik said:

Sukhumvit soi 4 the Irish theme bar sell pints between 8am and 8 pm at 99 baht a pint. I often have a few in there before going to the airport to catch my flight to Udon.

Yes but the huge advantage that the airport has going for it is that you don't have to drink in a Soi 4 bar!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mlkik said:

All bars sell 99baht lower sukhumvit with the pub under nana bts going till 8

The airport 7/11 in the basement as you came out of the skytrain are similar price beer as any 7/11, maybe 5 to10 baht more and plenty seats

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

All bars sell 99baht lower sukhumvit with the pub under nana bts going till 8

The airport 7/11 in the basement as you came out of the skytrain are similar price beer as any 7/11, maybe 5 to10 baht more and plenty seats

Drinking in a comfortable air con bar with a toilet and plenty of quiet space is what I prefer,not

drinking a beer from 7/11 sitting in the airport on an uncomfortable seat.

Living here I want to relax and enjoy my cold beer!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Drinking in a comfortable air con bar with a toilet and plenty of quiet space is what I prefer,not

drinking a beer from 7/11 sitting in the airport on an uncomfortable seat.

Living here I want to relax and enjoy my cold beer!

I use it when waiting for the bus to Jomtien

Those seats are wider with unlimited leg space , far better than the seat your about to spend 9 hours on  lol

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm kind of curious how marginally cheaper beer changes the game...

Probably because your ego and making you feel better about yourself and your day is not centered around saving a few baht on a beer.

I bet there are those in Pattaya that would take the bus to Bangkok, and go to this place then brag what a great time they had because of the cheap beer. 

Kind of like the Cambodia 50c beer is the best reason to visit Cambodia.

Yes, I do not get it either.

• Like 1

It is half price of what most in the area are charging.  That is quite a bit more than marginally less.  Sure does seem to be a lot of people sweating out putting money in a Thai Bank, and the daily chorus of expats griping about the exchange rates, but there are always some, who proudly claim they aren't concerned with pricing.... Yet, the bars still feel the need to use carnies to get people into the bar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 baht for a bottle (is this plus vat?) is marginally more than what they pay wholesale (around 32?).

They probably don't need to make any money as it's another one of the launderettes located in Suk.

RAZZ

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 6:31 AM, bkk6060 said:

Probably because your ego and making you feel better about yourself and your day is not centered around saving a few baht on a beer.

I bet there are those in Pattaya that would take the bus to Bangkok, and go to this place then brag what a great time they had because of the cheap beer. 

Kind of like the Cambodia 50c beer is the best reason to visit Cambodia.

Yes, I do not get it either.

It is the feelgood factor.

Certainly feels better paying 39 than 120 over the road.

But if you don't like the place you won't be going too often.

Watched the AFL game at the Aussie Pub on Thursday. Bottled beer was 39 baht 6-8 pm. The "pints" beforehand were the 330ml kind, yes, an Aussie schooner. 95-99 baht and not very cold draft beer either whereas the bottles were very cold. Anyway, a very pleasant place with very good service. Too bad it's on soi 11, infested with touts of all kinds.  

For contrast, popped by Hemingway's beside it. Bottles were on special for 90 +VAT. The Aussie beers were a steal -- for this month. But I'm just a visitor.

12 minutes ago, blackcab said:

A schooner should be 425ml, or three quarters of an imperial pint (568ml).

Very good. Still, the tall "schooner" (the glass was very narrow at the bottom, growing straight up to a wider mouth) at the Aussie Pub sure didn't look like they'd hold much more than a standard 330 ml/12 oz bottle of beer. And I recently was told by an Aussie that schooners can have different volumes depending on the location in Oz. Never been but I am surrounded by Aussies in Vung Tau, VN. All to the good. Mostly. ????

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Defined glass better

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 7:45 PM, Just Weird said:

Yes but the huge advantage that the airport has going for it is that you don't have to drink in a Soi 4 bar!

Gosh yes, hilarious, what a hoot.

Ever actually had a drink in Soi 4? Chequers? Bus Stop? Tavern? No, thought not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, rott said:

Ever actually had a drink in Soi 4? Chequers? Bus Stop? Tavern? No, thought not.

Er, yes, Chequers and Bus Stop many times, never heard of 'Tavern', though.   Am I missing out by not patronising the best bar in Bangkok?

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Er, yes, Chequers and Bus Stop many times, never heard of 'Tavern', though.   Am I missing out by not patronising the best bar in Bangkok?

Not at all, thought it was obvious that I was pointing out that Soi 4 is not quite the sxxxhole you were making it out to be. No patience for (what I see as) sneering, smartarse inaccuracies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1