Savannakhet Thai Consulate absolutely thronged with people

This is surely a disaster but was bound to happen. With other consulates becoming more and more difficult, Savannakhet was always reasonably straight forward, I guess the word has gotten around. Looks completely unsustainable, changes must surely be coming soon.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

What’s required for marriage extension?

Are they multiple exit / entry?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Basically , if you have a Non Imm O visa , you can go to your local immigration office and get a 1 year extension based on marriage. There are various requirements ( search the forum ) but the most important is you will need 400,000 baht in your bank which has to be in there a few months before  you apply etc.

Basically , if you have a Non Imm O visa , you can go to your local immigration office and get a 1 year extension based on marriage. There are various requirements ( search the forum ) but the most important is you will need 400,000 baht in your bank which has to be in there a few months before  you apply etc.

Thanks

Must I stay in Thailand for the duration of the 1 year extension or can I come and go as I like?

21 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

What’s required for marriage extension?
Are they multiple exit / entry?

You need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

Here is my general list of documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

After you get the extension you need a re-entry permit if you want to travel. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

Thanks

Must I stay in Thailand for the duration of the 1 year extension or can I come and go as I like?

I believe that if you are on an extension you will need to get a re entry stamp/visa before you leave to enable you to continue using your extension when you return . Also, when you return you are supposed to notify your local immigration office of the fact or face a fine of a couple of thousand baht. 

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Online pre-approval will probably come in next 18 months in South-East Asia like the UK system is rolling in with a few speedbump delays. Then many will get bounced at the online stage as their history will be easy to view like airports.

Death of the TV long-stay method coming soon I'm guessing, as everything interlocks around Thailand regarding MFA/immi systems being out of sync for history checking...

With the Chinese projected numbers next 5 years, they will no longer need to deal with the above queues anymore for cashflow.

yeah i can see it rolling out worldwide.

gonna hurt a lot of married expats too

• Like 1

You need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.
Here is my general list of documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf
After you get the extension you need a re-entry permit if you want to travel. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

Thanks for the info.

The 3800baht gets me a 1 year ME extension, is that right?

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

The 3800baht gets me a 1 year ME extension, is that right?

You pay the 3800 baht for the multiple re-entry permit after your extension is approved and it is valid to the date your extension expires. The fee for the extension is 1900 baht.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Advertise it in the free section on Craigslist, and someone will do the job of removing it for you.

If I have something to get rid of either Mrs takes it to her village, or a truck comes round and takes it for free after she makes a call. 

How long does the extension take to approve normally?

For a extension based upon marriage you will be given a under consideration stamp after the application is accepted that has a report back date 30 days from the date you do the application or from the date your permit to say ends at some offices.

The re-entry is done at Imm office or airport?

At your local immigration office or at some airports (both airports in Bangkok have re-entry permit desks) on departure from the country.

2 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Is Savannakhet the only location that does not require proof of income for the Non Immigration O visa (marriage) ?

The consulate in Ho Chi Minh City also does one without financial proof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

yeah i can see it rolling out worldwide.

gonna hurt a lot of married expats too

Not really, We will just have to book ahead few months in advanced for an appointment at the Thai consulate and just have patience waiting in line for our turn. Its no difference at any Thai land transport office or waiting in line at any government hospital for you turn.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, johnmell said:

Is it not Mondays when the visa companies go there.Think i read somewhere else tuesday is much less crowded.

I went in a Friday once, I was the only westerner in the queue - the guy explained that I wouldn’t get my passport back until Monday .. wasnt any issue for me, I went back to Pakse for the week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

A few years back, but I imagine it’s going to be pretty similar now. 

I was on my bike, just imagine being stuck in Savannakhet on your own for the weekend .. you may die of boredom.

It's going to be very different now - read the thread...

Totally agree about Savannaket, perhaps the most boring place on the planet... 

6 minutes ago, Quack said:

I reckon I'll just go on a Friday morning and get pissed for two days, can't be arsed with this kind of crap anymore...

What difference will going on a Friday make?

It appears whatever plan of attack you might have for beating the Q's you're gonna be scuppered.

4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

What difference will going on a Friday make?

It appears whatever plan of attack you might have for beating the Q's you're gonna be scuppered.

Its less busy on fridays as no workers cannot take six days off work

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thailand is not interested in all of those repeat visa runners, they want real tourists,

And that is why entry for most tourists is visa-free. If they don't want visa runners then perhaps they need to change their archaic laws and allow the many who have a Thai family they support, for example, a long-term visa. One that doesn't require hops over the border every 90 days or a sometimes long trip to an immigration office. For what? It's all about control.

• Like 1

we and other visa run companies tried to take people on odd days, like Monday night and Tuesday night to avoid the peak on Monday and Thursday, but to no avail. We also tried to offer more trips to Vientiane, again no people booked for these Monday and Tuesday trips. Since three month we post on our web side to plan ahead and yet everyone is going on these peaks days...... Human nature, but no need to complain. 

• Like 1