Ripped off (again!)

OzMan

My regular 711 has been closed for remodeling for three weeks.. that has taken me to quite a few other places.. including other 711.  They learned quickly at my 711 that they will not try one on, and I am on a friendly basis with the employees.  Hate to say it, but the others seem to be rotten to the core, and you can't let your guard down at all.  Two incidents in one day has not been uncommon.  It also seems like the Thais are often broke this time of year.. another benefit of road death week or whatever they want to call it.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

When there is a cash register at the checkout, i always watch what they key into the tills and it should then register your change too.

Sometimes at 7-11 they have to go and get change but the transaction is still showing on the register for you to see, then there's no arguement on how much you gave them.

I take it there was no digital till for your ice creams?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

It all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

Similar thing happened to me in 7/11 ????. But with a 500 baht. She gave me back 850 

This scam happens often in 7/11.How many times does something comes to 72 baht or smaller , they give you the change and it might be 2 baht short ,  as it is only change you do not count it. Small change turns into big change at the end of the day .Also this happened to us in 7/11 where I gave the girl 1000 note for a loaf of bread and she gave me change of 100 baht . I told her what I had given her and my wife came and asked her to call the  the manager to check the video . She said sorry .. Told the manager and she just smiled.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Strangely enough i have had a few similar experiences recently. One in Makro were the old lady behind was also adamant that i only gave 500 and not the 1000. I refused to accept this and they looked at the cctv. Funnily enough i was with the mother-in-law and she backed me up and the old lady behind backed off. i think the old lady just didn't want to wait any longer. the other occasion was at 7/11 and she backed off straight away and gave me the correct change.

Maybe there is something in the water

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yep you got done there coz when she went to the bac she left the 1,000 baht note there so no evidence left, curious thought, if you had a 500 baht note why did you give the 1,000 baht one?

anyway lesson to learn i guess and don't expect a GF or  wife to be on your side against their own kind, i also went to pay AIS bill in family mart and i was asked for my passport, welcome to the fun country called Thailand...

Ezzra is dead accurate!  It's happened to me and continues.  In short, welcome to the land of smiles...it's the way wheels turn here.  Enjoy your stay however long you intend that to last, and get ready for more and worse.  I'm not a pessimist, rather a realist.  No more rose colored glasses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OzMan said:

To cap it all, when I went to the BTS on the way home and needed to top up my card he said I needed to produce my passport, a new rule.

Failing to see what good this new rule would do for Thailand. Bah mak!!