London Multi Non-O Marriage Postal Success

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Not offering this up as a recommendation, but personally I've posted in applications for many visas in the past, and always ignored the postal order requirement they stipulated, figuring it was safe to send cash with registered post (my passport was in there anyway). The embassy always accepted the cash and issued the visa. 

Actually the website says cash or postal order, sending cash just seems risky, but as you say with registered post, and you're already risking your passport, sending cash is more efficient, saves on the post office charge. The only caveat I'd add is with a PO I have proof of how much money was in the envelope.

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Off topic but amazed postal orders are still available!

The venerable postal order still exists but is no longer sold as fixed denominations, rather they look like a cheque. The details of  payee and amount are printed on the cheque.

19 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Hope it's as straightforward next year!

It won't be. Online applications are due to start mid June. Postal applications will no be an option .

https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4

I'm going to give this process a dummy run when it begins. However, if you listen to the above link , it implies that you have to go to the embassy in person and submit your passport. They will then notify you by email whether your application has been successful and you can then go collect your passport. In other words, two visits to the Thai embassy.

If anyone can contradict me on this , go ahead....make my day. I really hope I have got it wrong.

Edited by Denim

26 minutes ago, Denim said:

I'm going to give this process a dummy run when it begins. However, if you listen to the above link , it implies that you have to go to the embassy in person and submit your passport. They will then notify you by email whether your application has been successful and you can then go collect your passport. In other words, two visits to the Thai embassy.

I think you are reading it wrong. You do not take your passport and originals of the supporting documents to the embassy until the application is approved and they give you an appointment to do it. Not sure if you have to back to pick it up or the do it while you wait.

Not sure what will happen for mailed in reports. Perhaps they will let you mail in your passport along with the originals of the supporting documents you uploaded.

25 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Actually the website says cash or postal order

Oh, they must have loosened up on this. A few years ago there was no option given on the website for sending cash (this was when they still did double and triple entry tv's), but after sending it the first time and finding they accepted it, I kept doing it. 

45 minutes ago, Denim said:

It won't be. Online applications are due to start mid June. Postal applications will no be an option .

https://thaievisa.go.th/Images/sliders/e-visa.mp4

But presumably applications will still be able to be submitted in person at the Embassy in London? If I've understood your link correctly, that certainly seems to be the default option in any case in the event of it not proving possible for an account to be created for online application purposes.

56 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But presumably applications will still be able to be submitted in person at the Embassy in London? If I've understood your link correctly, that certainly seems to be the default option in any case in the event of it not proving possible for an account to be created for online application purposes.

wow there are still people in the UK without access to the internet?

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Oh, they must have loosened up on this. A few years ago there was no option given on the website for sending cash (this was when they still did double and triple entry tv's), but after sending it the first time and finding they accepted it, I kept doing it. 

Me too, and I begrudge the extra £8 the PO costs. The UK registered post is very reliable and If lost u could claim off the post office. Im convinced they want POs or cash for 'tax' purposes if u catch my drift. I doubt if there's a paper trail for POs.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you are reading it wrong. You do not take your passport and originals of the supporting documents to the embassy until the application is approved and they give you an appointment to do it. Not sure if you have to back to pick it up or the do it while you wait.

Not sure what will happen for mailed in reports. Perhaps they will let you mail in your passport along with the originals of the supporting documents you uploaded.

I hope you are right but after listening to it carefully it sounds very much like the online process used when applying for a UK visa for your Thai spouse.

36 minutes ago, Denim said:

I hope you are right but after listening to it carefully it sounds very much like the online process used when applying for a UK visa for your Thai spouse.

This is what states in user manual on page 21. It appears to be a chopped off screen grab from the application page before you select the appointment date.

image.png.ddbd8db6150e3c4f96979206cb8f50b4.png

And on the next page.

image.png.f8fb4f34a7b047ca13d8d11bcc1833f9.png

Source: https://thaievisa.go.th/Files/UserManual_EN.pdf

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

wow there are still people in the UK without access to the internet?

You should not forget those who live in London (as I did before moving out here) and for whom a couple of physical trips to the Embassy (firstly to submit a paper application and again a few days later to collect passport + visa) might be no big deal when compared to all the hoops which apparently need to be jumped through before the online process can be used to its ultimate conclusion (i.e. visa in passport), as graphically illustrated by @Denim.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Yes, I got that far. 

There seems to be an option mission at the top of the page.

It says :

O submit application in person  O Su

The alternative has been cut off.

Next comes :

At the submission appointment section, you have to select the date and time to submit your passport and supporting documents. (It will be instructed in the confirmation if the original paper of supporting documents are required from your selected embassy or consulate-general.) - The system will show the available date and time for you to make an appointment. Then click on Submit. 

bandicam 2019-06-07 17-20-17-286.jpg

It does look like you :

1) Fill in the application on line

2) Upload supporting documents

3) Make an appointment to hand in passport in person

4 ) Wait while your application is processed ( A link is provided in there to track your application.

5 ) Await email confirming your application has been processed

6) collect your passport.

All of which is pretty much the same process as applying for a UK visa.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

I wish! It's £12.50p these days.

Really? This is why I always send the cash inside the passport 'signed for' 2nd class. Also I always send a 2nd class 'signed for' stamped addressed envelope for the return. Then I dont get stung for the extra £10 they charge for that. Never pay for 1st class 'signed for' as 2nd class seems to get there (and back) just as quick.

15 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Well if you could get a 10 year non-O ME it might be similar...

If you have to fly or train it to London, this is a disaster. 

Yep, trips to London from most places in the UK are IMHO a doddle when compared to the trips which those of us in LOS who don't live within spitting distance of Bangkok or Chiang Mai are forced to make at passport renewal time!

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Yep, trips to London from most places in the UK are IMHO a doddle when compared to the trips which those of us in LOS who don't live within spitting distance of Bangkok or Chiang Mai are forced to make at passport renewal time!

Have to do the Bangkok run every 5 years, for the son's passport, and the London run 4 years ago accompanying the Daughter, for her Thai passport. So have it at both ends now!

No airasia/nok flights to London, and no 1kTHB a night hotels either! As well as not knowing what to plan, until "the system" is working.

At least with the Thai passport, London would post it on when ready.

First hurdle will be dads non-O ME in Nov, hopefully clarity soon...

The wife luckily can get someone to pick up when ready, at Trendy, but I know no one in London to do the same ???? 

23 hours ago, UKresonant said:

No airasia/nok flights to London,

No airasia/nok flights to Bangkok from Rayong (where I live) either! Nor even a rail service - only uncomfortable clapped-out busses which can take up to 5 hours. Contrast this with a trip from Bristol to London (about the same distance) which can take half that time thanks to GWR.

But, given your personal experiences, horses for courses, I suppose.

• Like 1