no longer qualify for retirement, switching to marriage

5 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

So that would be my preference if in the ops situation, if I cannot continue retirement extension due to misunderstandings about new rules or whatever, and not got the money ready to go straight over to marriage. I'd just to a border hop, no need for an exit reentry, come in on a 30 day and start the Non O process again at the IO. No need to faff about at embassies abroad and all the hassle that entails?

What do you think a border hop is ……. it's an exit and re-entry.

Edited by Tanoshi

31 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

prob means no need for exit rentry visa

Yes of course I meant that and forgot the word permit in my posting as you rightly spotted. Perhaps Tanoshi's first language isn't English so that poster didn't pick up of the typing error. Completely missed my point as well that there is no need to go to an embassy or consulate to get a Non O for marriage if the money is available in the bank. The huge queues I have been reading about at Savannakhet consulate would lead me to give that a wide berth. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Yes of course I meant that and forgot the word permit in my posting as you rightly spotted. Perhaps Tanoshi's first language isn't English so that poster didn't pick up of the typing error. Completely missed my point as well that there is no need to go to an embassy or consulate to get a Non O for marriage if the money is available in the bank. The huge queues I have been reading about at Savannakhet consulate would lead me to give that a wide berth. 

My first language is English and I understood as you posted, but not the fact you misquoted due to a typo error. A re-entry permit was never mentioned or suggested, so why include it.

The OP could do a border run for a 30 day Visa exempt, but then still 3 visits o CW, which is also mega busy, OR visit an Embassy near the border (which he has to visit anyway), then only 2 visits required at CW.

Entirely up to the OP.

20 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

But you cant ,because if you use it for anything you lose your visa ,

No you don't. There have been no punitive measures specified for non compliance. It may make your next extension application problematic, possible rejection. Surely that could be circumvented by starting over with a new Non-Imm-O.

13 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

What if the mooted Medical Insurance order is implemented?? What then ?

As long as the hypothetical is being entertained, the requirement for an Extension will be medical insurance or retained money in your account!

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

OR visit an Embassy near the border (which he has to visit anyway),

Why does the op have to visit an embassy anyway? That was my point, he doesn't need to - unless he wants to do so or money is an issue? He can get his Non Imm O at CW and do it all there as he's married as UbonJoe said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

It doesnt ,it just says you CANNOT spend it . no exceptions are made . ,nice if they were .

Might as well just give it to them! OOps, did I just say that!

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Might as well just give it to them! OOps, did I just say that!

Thats why i am changing to marriage ,its no big deal really ,was in Jomtien the other day doing my 90day ,and asked for the list of things i would need ,was sent to a woman officer at the back ,my wife spoke to her ,she just asked why i wanted to change after all this time ,i told her why ,money and she gave us the list ,in Thai ,asked my wife if she could translate it ,she said no problem , and off we went , one thing would be a problem for some like me ,we were married in the UK so loads of things you have to do ,luckily i have authenticated our marriage certificate in the UK ,so not such a problem for us .

22 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Guys on a 400k in the bank extension based on marriage don't get sick, or have accidents.  Apparently.  ????

The whole idea of making the marriage route more difficult was to stop fake marriages ,thats it in a nutshell ,genuine married couples were welcome then .

in the UK it would be handy if they went down that route ,as there are thousands of fake marriages ,

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Thats why i am changing to marriage ,its no big deal really ,was in Jomtien the other day doing my 90day

Some have complained that in Jomtiem they were impeded somewhat in their attempts at that desk, even suggesting they were being pushed towards using an agent. (At least at Jomtiem a retirement extension is dealt with efficiently I have found). Also the selection of photographs required and a home visit by Immigration were intrusive. There will also be a 1 month extra wait as it is required to be approved at some regional office. Be interesting to hear how you find it when you change. 

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Some have complained that in Jomtiem they were impeded somewhat in their attempts at that desk, even suggesting they were being pushed towards using an agent. (At least at Jomtiem a retirement extension is dealt with efficiently I have found). Also the selection of photographs required and a home visit by Immigration were intrusive. There will also be a 1 month extra wait as it is required to be approved at some regional office. Be interesting to hear how you find it when you change. 

My wifes friend is a lawyer ,she knows all the tricks ,and yes it is very easy to just use an agent if i did not have the money i could get it done and far cheaper than most get charged ,but i luckily do have the cash so i prefer to be legal ,

the reason i want to change is its my money why should i have to leave it in a bank for ever and not be allowed to use it .?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

My wifes friend is a lawyer ,she knows all the tricks ,and yes it is very easy to just use an agent if i did not have the money i could get it done and far cheaper than most get charged ,but i luckily do have the cash so i prefer to be legal ,

the reason i want to change is its my money why should i have to leave it in a bank for ever and not be allowed to use it .?

I dont think you will find an agent that does marriage extensions (no funds). Because everything goes to BKK for additional checks, there is no choice other than the non-agent route.

Edited by Peterw42

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think you will find an agent that does marriage extensions (no funds). Because everything goes to BKK for additional checks, there is choice other than the non-agent route.

No i was not talking about marriage there ,sorry if i wasn't clear ,

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think you will find an agent that does marriage extensions (no funds). Because everything goes to BKK for additional checks, there is no choice other than the non-agent route.

A few places it is possible but the fee is from 25k to 40k baht since they have to leave the 400k in the bank for 2 months and then for the under consideration period.

Not all of them go to Bangkok. If not in the central they are sent to the immigration division headquarters responsible for the region where a person is living.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Why does the op have to visit an embassy anyway? That was my point, he doesn't need to - unless he wants to do so or money is an issue? He can get his Non Imm O at CW and do it all there as he's married as UbonJoe said.

He doesn't have to visit an Embassy, but he does have to cross a border and re-enter anyway.

Personally if it were me, I'd take a copy of the 'leniency' memo back to CW and argue the point, provided I had proof of 5 x transfers of 65K.

The OP's chosen to switch to a marriage extension, deposit 400K in a Thai bank and re-apply for an extension once those funds have been seasoned for 2 months. He has a month left on his current extension. He therefore needs to start the process again and obtain a new Non O.

He has two options, obtain a Non O SE from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, re-enter on the Non O, then within the last 30 days apply directly for the marriage extension, OR, cross a border, re-enter Visa exempt, then with at least 15 days remaining of his permission to stay apply for the Non O at CW, then his extension.

Either choice allow his funds to season for the required 2 months.

He'll obtain his extension sooner though going the Thai Embassy route.

Expats in similar positions have opted for the Non O ME Visa from a Thai Emb/Cons.

That allows them to stay for almost 17 months, with 3 x 60 day extensions + 3 border runs without visiting an IO, allowing the option and time to transfer 12 x 40K into a Thai bank should they wish to revert back to a marriage extension.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think you will find an agent that does marriage extensions (no funds).

As to agents who will process marriage extensions, there are plenty. Just found one in seconds. I cannot confirm if they somehow bypass any of the requirements making your application smoother, or simply process exactly the same documents you could on your own. I hope someone with personal experience can contribute.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

As to agents who will process marriage extensions, there are plenty. Just found one in seconds. I cannot confirm if they somehow bypass any of the requirements making your application smoother, or simply process exactly the same documents you could on your own. I hope someone with personal experience can contribute.

Can you mention or PM the agent details. I asked every agent I know of in Pattaya in the last couple of days and not one says they can do marriage extn with no funds.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:47 PM, robertson468 said:

There is no practical reason from the Customers point of view, but as you will appreciate it will advantage the Thai Banks to have that additional amount in their Bank to invest and make interest from it.  That is what I suspect it is all about, but no one will admit it. TIT!

Robertson468 is correct...two words can spell it out fast:  Money laudering. 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank in your name only for 2 months to apply for the extension.

1. You can do whatever you want to with the 400k baht after your extension is stamped in your passport. 

2. No

3. For the extension based upon marriage there is no combination option of money in the bank and income.

4. Vientiane and Savannakhet Laos would be the best place to get a single entry non-o visa.

5. After you get the extension would you would need a re-entry permit to keep it valid if you want to travel. 

Burlap you can also go straight to your IO in Thailand and apply for a 1 year extension

Edited by riclag