no longer qualify for retirement, switching to marriage

9 hours ago, burlap said:

They rejected me because they wanted to see 12 monthly (or 24 bi-weekly) deposits in my checking account.  They also wanted these deposits made on the same date, and for the same amount, in other words, what you would expect to see if you were receiving payments from a government pension program.  I was receiving money from rental property, so the money would arrive on different days (usually on the 3rd - the 7th)  and sometimes the amount would vary, for instance sometimes the tenant would pay for a repair and deduct the payment from the rent.  However, the total for the year was over the required amount.  They said they wouldn't accept this.

I told them I had applied for Social Security in January, but it might be September before I start receiving payments.  But the first payment would be retroactive to January.  I'm afraid this first 'balloon' payment will be ignored, and I will have to wait until I get 12 'regular' payments before I can apply again. That will be September 2020.

Already reports of CW accepting less than 12 months transfers for the income method this year.

How are you transferring, are they coded as International transfers.

9 hours ago, burlap said:

So, I'm going to try to get the marriage extension instead.  I plan on opening a new bank account and depositing 400,000 Baht in it.  Then wait a month leave the country and get a new Non-Imm O and return, and after the money has been in the account 3 months apply for my extension.  I have some questions:

1. Does the 400,000 Baht have to come from out of the country? (It did, but I'd have a hard time proving it.)
  2. Is any special type of bank account required?
  3. Am I allowed to use any of this money? Next year I'd like to use my Social Security income to qualify.
  4. Where is the easiest place to get a Non-Imm O visa? Hong Kong OK?
  5. Do I have to purchase an entry/exit permit to leave (and return) the country?
  6. Am I forgetting something?

1. No. Must be in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

2. Typically, Savings, Fixed term, or Foreign currency accounts. Provided you have instant access to funds without giving notice of withdrawal.

3. Once your extension has been granted, there is no requirement to keep these funds in the bank.

4. Savannakhet or HCMC without proof of funds. (Check specific requirements of Embassy/Consulate of choice as they can vary).

5. No. You'll re-enter on the Non Imm O Visa. If you want to leave during the 90 days permission of stay granted by entry of the Non O, then yes an re-entry permit is required.

Re-entry permit also required for your extension if you plan to leave / re-enter.

Edited by Tanoshi

I believe that by the time I retire to Thailand (7 years from now), the requirement will be 1 million baht in a Thai bank account, non-negotiable. So that's what I'm preparing for.
Also prepare for 25 BHT/USD, 30 BHT/BP and 14 BHT/AUD. That is what I am preparing for a one year extension that I would get through and an agent for 6-month stay in Thailand.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

To pay for medical treatment.

This answer comes up a lot, but how can it be true when so many other visa types can clean out the account?  

38 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I am increasingly convinced that the name of the game is to nitpick any and all applications made by individuals towards the goal of making things so stressful and inconvenient that individuals will use visa agents instead of applying for visas directly on their own. The incentive for doing this is more bribe income from visa agents for allowing them to ply their corrupt trade.

If it means not having to put and keep 800k in a thai bank, I'd pay for a visa agent if I wanted to continue to stay here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wisperone said:

Its a way force people into 800k in the bank. That is what they are working towards.

More like its a way to force you to use their "agents" much more lucrative and easy for them

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can immediately withdraw and use the 400K after the extension is granted on marriage.

Just need to put 400K in again 2 months prior to next application submission.

I know, that's the irony.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

4. Vientiane and Savannakhet Laos would be the best place to get a single entry non-o visa.

Very helpful answers. I am curious, does foreigner married to Thai have to leave Thailand to get a Non O done? Several years after I got married I got my first Non O stamp at Cheang Wattana after coming in the country with a 30 day visa exempt stamp, then did my first annual extension 3 months later from that Non O.?

3 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Very helpful answers. I am curious, does foreigner married to Thai have to leave Thailand to get a Non O done? Several years after I got married I got my first Non O stamp at Cheang Wattana after coming in the country with a 30 day visa exempt stamp, then did my first annual extension 3 months later from that Non O.?

You can still do the same.

• Thanks 1

Looks like you failed to show deposits of at least 65K baht per month and this caused your rejection. Its shame that you caused panic and you got people upset with Thai immigration for simply doing their jobs.  You were wrong and you need to take responsibility for you actions.  

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

You must obtain a Non O to apply for an extension.

If you can obtain and enter on a SE Non O type, (90 day entry) then you can apply straight for the extension.

If you cannot/ do not and enter either Visa exempt or TV, then Immigration will convert/issue a Non O but only for the sole purpose as a prelude to obtain an extension.

If married to a Thai you can obtain the ME Non O Visa, valid 1 year, multiple 90 day entries.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

If you .. enter either Visa exempt or TV, then Immigration will convert/issue a Non O but only for the sole purpose as a prelude to obtain an extension.

So that would be my preference if in the ops situation, if I cannot continue retirement extension due to misunderstandings about new rules or whatever, and not got the money ready to go straight over to marriage. I'd just to a border hop, no need for an exit reentry, come in on a 30 day and start the Non O process again at the IO. No need to faff about at embassies abroad and all the hassle that entails?

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Your experience personifies the feeling of helplessness when entering the immigration chamber of horrors...

There are no immigration rules that I am aware of that says the amount entering your Thai bank each month must "appear" at about the same time each month to " appear" that it comes from a pension...more immigration BS to wade through...

Good Luck!

I think the wording used by various talking heads at various immigration offices is that the date of the deposit and the amount of the deposit "cannot vary significantly" thus leaving the interpretation and final decision at the whim of the paper shuffler at the low end of the trough.

Another facet of Thai imponderables that has scuppered my best efforts to ensure that the date doesn't "vary significantly" was when they went and invented an all new national holiday for a birthday for a queen that didn't bloody exist a month earlier!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

So that would be my preference if in the ops situation, if I cannot continue retirement extension due to misunderstandings about new rules or whatever, and not got the money ready to go straight over to marriage.

If you were able to have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months within 60 days from when your extension end you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then apply for the extension near the end of the 60 days.

A alternative would be getting a 30 day visa exempt and then applying for a non immigrant visa to get a 90 day entry. You would need the 400k baht in the bank on the date you apply for it. You have to show all the supporting documents and etc needed to apply for an extension based upon marriage and again when you apply for the extension.

It might be easier to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa.

With regards to the pension money from SSA and DFAS. One is usually paid on the first day of month, and DFAS paid last working day of previous month, but the experience with my last 6 months to my BBK direct deposit, they usually are received within about two days of each other between the 2 and 4th same month. So it is unlikely the IO would not see then as arriving same month. Only once received SSA on 6th in PM because of weekend and Thai holidays, but still first part of month.

Edited by Danthai

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You might only get a single entry for the first time you apply at Penang. The equivalent of 400k baht can be in any bank.

At Savannakhet Laos you can get one with no financial proof. Same at the consulate in Ho Chi Minh City.

Which of the two would be the easier and/ or least expensive place to go from Chiangmai given country procedures, and health, etc?

15 hours ago, burlap said:

They rejected me because they wanted to see 12 monthly (or 24 bi-weekly) deposits in my checking account.  They also wanted these deposits made on the same date, and for the same amount, in other words, what you would expect to see if you were receiving payments from a government pension program.

A couple of things re BKK CW Immigration:

--I've never heard/seen any prior report of them being willing to accept biweekly as opposed to monthly foreign fund transfers.

--I've never heard of them requiring that the monthly foreign transfers had to be of exactly the same amount vs just being at least the required 65K.

--I've never heard of them requiring that the monthly foreign transfers had to be shown to be arriving to Thailand on exactly the same date every month.

How did all those particular details get conveyed to you, and by whom?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

What is the practical reason for needing to keep 400k in the bank forever?

There is no practical reason from the Customers point of view, but as you will appreciate it will advantage the Thai Banks to have that additional amount in their Bank to invest and make interest from it.  That is what I suspect it is all about, but no one will admit it. TIT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

I believe that by the time I retire to Thailand (7 years from now), the requirement will be 1 million baht in a Thai bank account, non-negotiable. So that's what I'm preparing for.

7 years hence is your official retirement goal and you are assuming 1 M baht, which I think is fairly realistic. What planning are you making for the subsequent rise, lets say 10 years after you retire. I assume your planning includes regular rises in costs (including immigration) till the guestimate date you might expire, which hopefully is 20 or more years after you officially retire.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Why not get all offices/officers to adhere to the same rules?

Not that hard really.one rule, one application. 

WHY?  Because they are Thai. Your suggestion is too obvious, intelligent, and simple.