providers of health ins for new regs

The new health insurance rules are news to me and I want to take steps to comply as quickly as possible.  I am a UK national 71 years old and I have French national health insurance.  I am resident there and still pay taxes.  I live here full time, however.  At my age private health care is prohibitively expensive and except for minor ailments I am never sick.  I am happy with our local hospital in Ban Mai Chaiyapot and always pay for whatever treatments I have.  Mostly it is chopping off bit of skin to see if they are malignant.  I have contacted the Bangkok insurance brokers but they have not yet replied.  I do not want private health care insurance and have better things to do with what money I have.  I fulfill every current requirement for my annual retirement visa and expect to marry my long term GF before visa renewal time next Jan (2020).   I could post a bond in addition to having 1M THB in a Thai bank account if that would work.  If I get seriously ill I can go back to France for treatment there.  Or, just decide to drop dead as I would not want to live a life bedridden and fed through a tube or some such thing.  Any ideas regards availability of reasonably priced health insurance to comply with new regs?  Thanks in advance.

On a side note, those of you below 60, get a teaching position, register yourself to the Thai social security, stick the job out for a year and then make regular payments of less than 400 baht a month after U quit the job if you don't like it.!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No insurance company cannot quote you what will needed for an extension of stay based upon retirement or any other one applied for at immigration here since the requirement does not exist.

As usual, Ubon Joe is correct, but I would not want to bet on things remaining this way. I see it coming to the point where there are so many regs and documents required that we will have to camp outside CW for a couple of days just to get a visa.

My last retirement visa required 4 visits to complete! Plus the IO visited my apartment to take photographic proof I live there. She was very nice and said, "it's the General, not us."

2 hours ago, notrub said:

I would not want to live a life bedridden and fed through a tube or some such thing

Did you already draft advance directives (the so-called "living will") in this sense? That is important, in case you lose ability to take decisions for any reason.

Thanks for comments.  I understood that although it is not yet a requirement, health insurance is on the table as a regulation that will take effect before long.  The figures bandied about are 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient THB.  If it is sure to come why are there not some companies gearing up to provide it?  If it was a reasonable price I would be interested even if it was not a requirement.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, notrub said:

Thanks for comments.  I understood that although it is not yet a requirement, health insurance is on the table as a regulation that will take effect before long.  The figures bandied about are 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient THB.  If it is sure to come why are there not some companies gearing up to provide it?  If it was a reasonable price I would be interested even if it was not a requirement.  Thanks

It i son the table as a regulation for the O-A visa, not fo2r extensions of stay.

The 400K/40K is already required for the O-X vi

It is on the table as a regulation for the O-A visa, not for extensions of stay.

It is already required for the OX visa and there are 4-5 companies offering policies tailored to it see

https://longstay.tgia.org/

However these are terrible value for the money and 400k is way too little, while the outpatient cover is unnecessary. Using only government  hospitals you need 1 million inpt cover...they can and do run that high for really serious illnesses/accidents.

Contact a broker for information on all your options, which will depend heavily on your age

On 6/7/2019 at 7:50 PM, thequietman said:

On a side note, those of you below 60, get a teaching position, register yourself to the Thai social security, stick the job out for a year and then make regular payments of less than 400 baht a month after U quit the job if you don't like it.!

Is this still possible?  I remember reading about it in the past, but thought it had been phased out for foreigners.

2 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Is this still possible?  I remember reading about it in the past, but thought it had been phased out for foreigners.

You are confusing this with the 30n baht scheme.

SS is certainly still possible but you have to be legally employed, on a work permit, for over 12 months.

7 minutes ago, notrub said:

Which table would that be?

I know one company that rolled out a policy that exactly matched those numbers soon after the OA requirement was announced, at age 63 it is US$1206 for the year, which is approximately 40,200 THB.