UK PM candidate Gove admits taking cocaine

rooster59

UK PM candidate Gove admits taking cocaine

800x800 (7).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Michael Gove speaks at a fringe meeting during the Scottish Conservative conference in Aberdeen, Scotland, Britain May 3, 2019. REUTERS/Russell Cheyne/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Gove, a leading contender to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, said he had used cocaine and has "deep regrets" about taking the drug on several occasions.

The Daily Mail on Friday quoted Gove as saying he had taken the drug at social gatherings when he was a young journalist.

"It was a mistake. I look back and I think I wish I hadn't done that," he said. "It was 20 years ago and yes, it was a mistake. But I don't believe that past mistakes disqualify you."

The revelation comes as the contest to replace May is gathering pace with candidates arguing over the rights and wrongs of a so-called no-deal Brexit, or leaving the EU without a deal.

May stepped down as leader of the governing Conservatives on Friday, officially triggering a contest to replace her that could see her party embrace a tougher stance on Brexit.

Candidates must announce whether they are standing in the contest by Monday. The selection process should be completed by the end of July.

Gove said he hoped that the disclosure would not prevent him being appointed the next prime minister.

"Obviously it will be for my colleagues in parliament and members of the Conservative Party to decide now if I should be leader," he said. "I think all politicians have lives before politics."

(Reporting by Andrew MacAskill; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-08

10 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

he had used cocaine and has "deep regrets" about taking the drug on several occasions.

Did he regret each occasion separately or was it just a general feeling once he realised he couldn't afford it any longer? It also gives the lie to those who claim that cocaine is always addictive

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The Daily Mail on Friday quoted Gove as saying he had taken the drug at social gatherings when he was a young journalist.

"It was a mistake. I look back and I think I wish I hadn't done that," he said. "It was 20 years ago

So, when he was in his 30s.

Not that young a man then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That's the end for him.

Um, I think he thought it might get him more votes from the Conservatives voting public ... humanizing effect.

Probably won't work, but - when you're desperate as well as disparate - worth a try.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Um, I think he thought it might get him more votes from the Conservatives voting public ... humanizing effect.

Probably won't work, but - when you're desperate as well as disparate - worth a try.

Maybe his campaign tune should “Sorted for Es and whizz”. 

Not sure Pulp would approve though. 

The song itself sums up the whole tory brexit negotiations debacle nicely. 

“I lost my friends, I dance alone, it's six o'clock I wanna go home
But it's "no way", "not today", makes you wonder what it meant
And this hollow feeling grows and grows and grows and grows
And you want to call your mother and say
"Mother, I can never come home again
'Cause I seem to have left an important part of my brain
Somewhere, somewhere in a field in Hampshire"

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Did he regret each occasion separately or was it just a general feeling once he realised he couldn't afford it any longer? It also gives the lie to those who claim that cocaine is always addictive

Probably thought his past would be raked up as a PM hopeful, better go on the attack first. Reminds me of Klaus Wowereit, the first gay mayor of Berlin, he came out right at the beginning to take the claws out of the gutter press.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, APJ291 said:

Stepped over the line with that comment... people will be rubbing his nose in it for years to come.,.

In the uk?  I doubt it.

The following post seems spot-on IMO

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Little island.....Don't tell me, you come from a big island, have a full head of hair, Big todger and your bird is half Chinese.......????

Or as Dennis Skinner would say ....half your bird is not Chinese.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Maybe his campaign tune should “Sorted for Es and whizz”. 

Not sure Pulp would approve though. 

The song itself sums up the whole tory brexit negotiations debacle nicely. 

“I lost my friends, I dance alone, it's six o'clock I wanna go home
But it's "no way", "not today", makes you wonder what it meant
And this hollow feeling grows and grows and grows and grows
And you want to call your mother and say
"Mother, I can never come home again
'Cause I seem to have left an important part of my brain
Somewhere, somewhere in a field in Hampshire"

I don't know the song, but it's true that combining a large amount of cocaine with LSD, and some smack to smooth out the come down, can be disorientating. Young people at festivals nowadays, what's the world coming too. However I would recommend this combination to members of the Tory party (Average age 57) what have they got to loose? Evidence of mental activity no longer registers on any scale doctors care to use. Maybe these are the people that Gove is trying to target!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Heaven forbid that an old sinner like Michael "Snorter" Gove should step into the saintly shoes of Mother Theresa May.

He might actually do what out backsliding Parliament clearly considers the devil's work - and deliver the Brexit we were promised three years ago.

All together now, Remoaners . . . Allelluia!

Anything is possible if he starts snorting again....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1