Trump calls off tariffs on Mexico after deal on migration

rooster59

19 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

That's mostly true, but I've got a feeling that the corruption money to be made on Mexico's Southern border is much less than the corruption money to be made on Mexico's Northern border. It's the Northern border they'll want to keep operating at full steam.

Even if that is the case, and I'm not saying it is, that still doesn't mean that they're going to be able to severely curtail the influx of illegal immigrants coming over the southern border. Unless you believe that Mexico has the resources to do that.

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Even if that is the case, and I'm not saying it is, that still doesn't mean that they're going to be able to severely curtail the influx of illegal immigrants coming over the southern border. Unless you believe that Mexico has the resources to do that.

I don't know if they do or not, but I'll bet they can now spot a "caravan".

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Fake Pres?

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, like how Melania got her "Einstein" Visa - Yes, I know she was a "Quantum Modelling" expert, and how her parents got their visas, and Ivanna (after working illegally in the U.S. and having anchor babies like Don Jr. and Eric) got hers?

trump's properties avail themselves of undocumented workers, and also seem to get all the H1-B visas they need, while not hiring AMERICANS.

I guess I'm no longer staggered by the ignorance people display when defending trump's random immigration policies, if you can call a tariff a policy?

The Dems have refused at every turn to even discuss finding a solution, and Obama did a much worse job even though he did deport millions of illegals. He is doing what he can, he didn't make those election policies and then ignore them after the elections like most politicians in the past have done. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Trump caved. I knew it.

Everyone knows it, well except for you know, "them".

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, Democrats have proposed solutions. For instance increasing aid to guatemala, honduras, and el salvador. Instead the Trump administration slashed it.

Whoa bristolboy, what's with all the "FACTS"? You've got be careful with those, can't have too many red-hats exploding.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Deflection and denial. Awful look, but on you? It looks mahevelous.

trump had full control for two years: did he build a wall? did he help get immigration reform passed?

Spoiler alert: No.

He failed at health care repeal, succeeding in tax cuts.

So if I understand you correctly, the Dems would have done better? Well probably yes because the Reps would have tried to reach an agreement, but we all know that the Dems would have done NOTHING AT ALL about this.

He tried to do it through Congress, blocked. Now he is trying by other means. I don't support Trump 100% but this blind refusal to see anything good at all about what he is trying to do, against tremendous resistance by the bureaucrats and Deep State. 

• Thanks 1

We'll see if Trump caved. The memo says that asylum seekers can be returned to Mexico to await adjudication. It also says the US promises to speed up adjudication. The question is whether asylum seekers will wait in Mexico or just find some other way to cross the border. Now that it's summer border crossing will decrease. The effect of this agreement won't be fully known until the autumn.

Bluff, bluff, bluff. As I said days ago in another post, this was nothing more than one more Trump bluff. He caved by accepting a loosey, goosey deal, just as he always does.

But I'm glad he caved because he sure as hell rattled business confidence with this latest bluff.

I know first hand because my Canadian business sure took a hit for a couple weeks. Now I can expect a return to normal next week, until the next Trump bluff is pulled.

Jesus! I'm getting older way too fast but I look forward to seeing the end of this jerk.

"Are we tired of winning yet?"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

And subsequently to that there was this:

U.S. ending aid to El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras over migrants

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-aid/u-s-ending-aid-to-el-salvador-guatemala-honduras-over-migrants-idUSKCN1RB0OR

And then there was this:

https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-asks-us-hasten-5-8-billion-aid-200452178.html

Doesn't seem like the US is in a hurry to fulfull that promise. Does it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

History says nations fighting wars on two fronts are bound to lose. I guess that's true of trade wars as well.

Removal of 5% tariffs on Mexican goods is a cold hard fact. Promises to beef up control of the southern border of Mexico is more a wish list.

I would say the Mexicans won.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Just like the thousands who arrive by air on visa waiver and never leave you mean?

Is this per day, week, month or year?

Source for your figures or just another fake poster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

History says nations fighting wars on two fronts are bound to lose. I guess that's true of trade wars as well.

Removal of 5% tariffs on Mexican goods is a cold hard fact. Promises to beef up control of the southern border of Mexico is more a wish list.

I would say the Mexicans won.

I think the jury is out on that one. They have agreed to allow asylum seekers to stay in Mexico. Whether that ultimately reduces immigration is yet to be seen. Those people fleeing the Central American countries aren't coming to the USA to see Disneyworld.

• Like 1