Imports and VIN number

I'm about to buy a 2002/3 Lancer EVO (japanese version) and I noticed that the VIN number on the document has 17 digits as opposed to a Japanese VIN (11 digits).

My concern is that the car could actually be some converted Cedia or regular Lancer instead of a real EVO. Is there a way to find out?

4 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I'm about to buy a 2002/3 Lancer EVO (japanese version) and I noticed that the VIN number on the document has 17 digits as opposed to a Japanese VIN (11 digits).

A 17-digit VIN number. So, any vehicles manufactured in 1981 or later with VINs shorter than 17 characters are invalid.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:53 PM, MatteoBassini said:

If you're afraid it may be converted, just look at the greenbook.

Many AMGs are converted from regular Mercedes here, but the greenbook still says E200, C180, etc. as well as the engine size, it won't say 6200cc.

The greenbook (actually blue?) says it's an EVOLUTION. The engine model listed there is also an EVO engine (4G63).

I'm absolutely sure the engine is an original EVO one. 

I have a legal question now: assuming this car had some tricky importing procedure, will I ever get in trouble if the police stops me and decides to investigate further? The car has apparently ok documentation and it has the sticker 2563 in the windshield.

Have you punched the vin into one of the many online decoders ?

as to 17 digits I heard  places like Australia and UK have digits added to the vin as their systems dont cope with 11 digits.

17 digit VIN is applicable to all Japanese vehicles built for export and not domestic consumption.

The car was built for an export market (likely UK) and probably imported as parallel import. 

Edit: It won't have the 180kph speed limiter either!

On 6/10/2019 at 1:16 AM, FarangFB said:

The greenbook (actually blue?) says it's an EVOLUTION. The engine model listed there is also an EVO engine (4G63).

I'm absolutely sure the engine is an original EVO one. 

I have a legal question now: assuming this car had some tricky importing procedure, will I ever get in trouble if the police stops me and decides to investigate further? The car has apparently ok documentation and it has the sticker 2563 in the windshield.

Oh yes bluebook, I got used to saying greenbook because of motorcycles.

If everything matches up, it means it's legally imported and can drive on the streets same as a car assembled here.

Better ask local Evo/Ecar expert,

btw. I have a toyota st205 with st204 plaque for years now, I worked on her from engine rebuild to rear diff myself yet still cant figure out if its a 204 professionally converted 205; or someone 'stamped' 204 vin on a 205 for easy import. bluebook tells nothing really

Bear in mind that the blue reg book only shows the date the car was registered in Thailand. It could have been manufactured years earlier and then imported into Thailand as a used car. Therefore, the reg year in the blue book does not prove age of vehicle. Check the VIN number with the manufacturer. (Amazing Thailand)

Archived