Asked for ID when paying water bill

topt

On 6/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, vinniekintana said:

They want to prevent strangers paying other peope's bills   /sarc/

It is sad that you have to say "sarc" to stop the all too many numpties taking you seriously. Maybe to help them everyone should be made to write one of the following next to their comments (you can just use the corresponding number to make it easy):

1. Sarc (we like that one)

2. Deadly serious

3. Serious

4. Quite serious but could go the other way

5. Mildly serious - meant to be more funny than anything else, but with a hint of seriousness

6. Don't know why I said that really?

7. Not serious at all - having a larf!

8. Complete joke - don't be offended snowflakes

9. Don't care - take it how you want

10. Total wind-up to create havoc amongst the Numpties

Whilst it is not possible to be definitive, you can visibly spot a numpty based upon the number of inane tattoos slapped in their personage

54 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

I  use MyAis/Line Pay for paying PWA and PEA bills online but they recently asked for photos of me and passport to continue using the service for any bill over 1000 baht.

Been paying my electricity for the last 10 years by direct debit, by far the easiest way.

Water is more of a problem, that is heaven sent and some years gets held up for prolonged periods.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:38 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm assuming this is to solve the massive and intractable problem they have where "good Samaritans" keep paying other people's water bills?

But this is for anti-money laundering prevention.  It's not good Samaritans, it must be the drug cartels laundering money by paying other peoples bills. 

On 6/8/2019 at 3:55 PM, blackcab said:

I was paying a bill in Family Mart a few days ago. It's one of the few we can't pay online.

I was asked for my passport. First time that has happened.

Are you sure? The water company wasn't listed in my app (Kasikorn) but I scanned the bar code and it recognised it, I have done it for the past 3 months and we still have water coming to the house.

I don't doubt you, but give it a try.

47 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Are you sure? The water company wasn't listed in my app (Kasikorn) but I scanned the bar code and it recognised it, I have done it for the past 3 months and we still have water coming to the house.

I don't doubt you, but give it a try.

It wasn't a water bill.

Paid my water bill today at 7..

Not asked for anything.. 

Both electric and water bills are made out to the owner of the house. I am only a tenant. When this ID system is fully implemented, my name isn't on the bills, but my landlady's. So my ID won't match the names on the bills.. What then? 

• Like 1

Paid my water bill today at 7..
Not asked for anything.. 

Both electric and water bills are made out to the owner of the house. I am only a tenant. When this ID system is fully implemented, my name isn't on the bills, but my landlady's. So my ID won't match the names on the bills.. What then? 
U can just scan it via online banking app if you have a thai bank account.

My electricity etc is also on the landlords name, i am not even sure they compare the names it's more like a brainwashed show us ur id kinda situation without checking anything imo

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

If you are a bit paranoid, the obvious answer is to find out where you REALLY live. Not just us farang, but thais as well. Many thais are registered for ID at their home area, but actually due to work live elsewhere. If a bill is for a specific address, they can link your ID to the address ..... Big Brother knows where you are!

Just being a bit paranoid. Waiting to see if some overstayers get tracked down this way ????.

• Sad 1

Is not only Foreigners , I saw it also at mobile post office , it is far more easy to put all their data in their system, than asking name address etc …, and example on driving silence the Thai is present to read …., don't look any further reason behind it for such low bills , just make those people  work more easy .

• Confused 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, ThaiBunny said:

It's exactly the same nonsense the BTS believes when they demand a passport when topping up their card. It's their interpretation of the Anti Money Laundering measures. Surely you can pay your utility bills via Internet banking and avoid these pettyfogging requirements?

It is not BTS's interpretation of the law, it is the law.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, billd766 said:

I pay my water bill to the lady who comes around on her motorbike and gives me a receipt.

Should I ask her for her ID card?

No, the water company will probably ask her for ID when she pays the bill to them.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

The only rational purpose that these kind of rules serve is for everyone in Thailand to always carry ID. That's what the government wants and that's why they make these rules. 

That's been the rule for Thais for many years, it's not a new concept.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, owenm said:

Pay the landlady.

18 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes. No reporting of transactions up to 2 mio thb. Above that it gets reported.

I know that, the point was can you do that kind of transaction at any bank with no ID?  No, obviously, you can't.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes. No reporting of transactions up to 2 mio thb. Above that it gets reported.

The reporting limits for bill payments are 700,000 baht. Above that amount banks are required to produce an Anti Money Laundering Office report. If you are a walk-in customer, you should be asked for your ID at that stage.

Banks can always choose to set the limit at a lower level. 

The reporting limits for bill payments are 700,000 baht. Above that amount banks are required to produce an Anti Money Laundering Office report. If you are a walk-in customer, you should be asked for your ID at that stage.

Banks can always choose to set the limit at a lower level. 
Bills yes but if you pay invoices that aren't real bills and just deposit the money to the merchants bank account no one cares.

It's not even possible to transfer these amounts from your bank to a third party account in a single transaction, the limit is faaaar below, same bank is sth like 1 mio thb but to a differrnt bank its lile 100k per single transaction. So they often give you the cash at your home bank and tell you to walk over to the bank where the merchant is with a bag of cash.

Shit you only notice if you try to build a house or renovate a condo here
[emoji848]

Amazing thailand

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, the water company will probably ask her for ID when she pays the bill to them.

Our water bills come from the Pu Yai Ban from the big village I think and go towards paying for the pumping station and the filters etc.

9 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

The only rational purpose that these kind of rules serve is for everyone in Thailand to always carry ID. That's what the government wants and that's why they make these rules. 

Don't see how as I and everyone I know pays them with a mobile phone.