So, what happened to the McWALEN guy??

I do remember reading lots on this site about that "McWalen" guy.

I remember his language school, but also remember about him having some investment course..

RE introduction on how to trade on the Thai SET..
or some such thing

It seem to me this might now be a handy investment tool to have

what with our countries always lower the interest rates and then causing our exchange rates to go to Sหit against a sky-high Baht.

So where is he? is he still in business and does offer that course?

Did anyone here ever do it and get some good benefits?

Anyone else can advice how to trade on the Thai SET if your a farang?

I do remember reading lots on this site about that "McWalen" guy.

I remember his language school, but also remember about him having some investment course..
RE introduction on how to trade on the Thai SET..
or some such thing

It seem to me this might now be a handy investment tool to have
what with our countries always lower the interest rates and then causing our exchange rates to go to Sหit against a sky-high Baht.

So where is he? is he still in business and does offer that course?

Did anyone here ever do it and get some good benefits?

Anyone else can advice how to trade on the Thai SET if your a farang?

Yes, he bragged about being very knowledgeable about investing, yet would never post any specific trades he made that were profitable. I believe he was successful at increasing clicks for various topics on TVF (his only accomplishment, until proven otherwise).

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

The Mc Walen guy often acting here as if he was some genius professor. 

While his revolutionary  Thai school was only about memorizing Thai words and sentences.

These students coment , , just ouldn’t talk any decent Thai even after 2 years.

I know I was there , was like a carrousel , no beginning , no end , it just covered me a 1 year multiple entry E.D. visa (visa runs , no exams questioning by I.O.'s....:thumbsup: ) , just before i got my first Ret.Ext. His concept was very commercial way orientated….

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

He would have been in good company here, a lot of posters here could Make Thailand Great Again.

If only everyone gets a lawyer. ????

Sorry, attorney.

Some of us commented at the time that his whole business model was not what it seemed. It was not a language school, but a visa agency masquerading as a language school. Essentially, you got a long-term visa and "free" Thai language lessons, with the free part of dubious quality. I wrote this at the time and nasty emails and threats of defamation proceedings followed.

oh yes, there was some funny threads!!

and how they used to get stuck into him!

towards the end he just went very silly and after the school turned into "investment school" suddenly 

he would claim about teaching many other courses in fact anything he could imagine to draw people in.

one thing he didnt think of..

could have been a "travel agents school", 

the way he would cry to mods, im sure he helped many posters to go on a posting holiday.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, Sealbash said:

Yes, he bragged about being very knowledgeable about investing, yet would never post any specific trades he made that were profitable. I believe he was successful at increasing clicks for various topics on TVF (his only accomplishment, until proven otherwise).

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes if memory serves, many times he would post how he had "made a killing" or doubled his money or something.

There was 1 other poster that used to back him, i think he said he done the

magic "investment course"

and also claimed to be making big money. 

but that could have been a shill or even McWalen himself i suppose.

He could never win though. If he had older women teachers many would complain about them being ugly..

When he got sexy teachers, some others complained they werent real teachers and just got hired for their looks. lol

He had cajoulies anyway, i would not want a business here serving thaivisa farangs... for all the somtam in Isaan. lol

Anyway i didnt want to just winge and dump on McWalen himself,

but to research about how to go about trading the set,

since those posters were talking about how they could do it themself, without McWalens help.

In hindsight i suppose i should have just started a thread on how to trade on the SET. 

Edited by bamukloy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You can always tell the crooks, scammers and losers in Thailand by how quickly they resort to threats of defamation charges.

To be fair to him, when he wrote to me via PM, no such threats emerged. 

Trading is very tricky.  You can lose money in ways that will shock you.  I had kept money for many years in Bruce Berkowitz’ Fairholme Fund.  It had a Morningstar five-star rating.  By 2017, my original $100,000 had grown to nearly $200,000.  In November of 2017, the fund paid out a capital gain of about $100,000.  Berkowitz was legally obligated to do this.  Shortly after the capital gain distribution, a huge number of savvy investors redeemed their shares.  The fund price fell by 50%.  Over the next year, I managed to gradually redeem my shares for about $100,000.  The price of the shares is not going to increase very much any time soon.  I had to pay capital gains tax on the $100,000 so for 12 years' investment, I lost $15,000 on the fund.

I write this to let you know that investing is not for the non-professional.  I have lost money in a lot for other ways too.  If you plan to invest, proceed with caution.

The fund shares peaked in Nov 2013 and the big selloff started shortly thereafter. Also looks like you just put in your 100K and didn't add any more during that time--unless I missed something.  My real question is when everyone was jumping ship in 2013 what were you doing (rhetorical question). 

Edited by mosan
clarity

I just held until 2017.  It was my expectation that a mutual fund would go up and down so I didn't monitor the share price carefully.  I'll take a look at the share price record.  I was aware of Berkowitz' holdings and expected the share price to do OK over time.

21 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

While his revolutionary  Thai school was only about memorizing Thai words and sentences.

These students couldn’t talk any decent Thai even after 2 years.

What part of the whole flawed premise of the "stay in Thailand long-time ED visa while not going to classes" concept did you fail to comprehend?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

What part of the whole flawed premise of the "stay in Thailand long-time ED visa while not going to classes" concept did you fail to comprehend?

Doesn’t matter I know people who actually did go to their classes and hardly made any progress.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Doesn’t matter I know people who actually did go to their classes and hardly made any progress.

Yes... but they collectively managed to stay in Thailand for a longer time than any tourist would.

Oh, never mind... I guess there are those that truly do come here just for the temples.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes... but they collectively managed to stay in Thailand for a longer time than any tourist would.

Oh, never mind... I guess there are those that truly do come here just for the temples.

Okey you defend him because his school was an paying advertiser on this website.

The Fairholme Fund share price actually increased from the low 20’s in 2013 to over $40 in 2016.  The bottom fell out when the big capital gain was paid in November of 2016 (not 2017) and the share price is still about the same as the price that it fell to in 2016 - around $20.00.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, William Osborne said:

I wouldnt recommend a noob jumping into the SET buying individual shares......on the other hand you can invest in numerous SET index funds via most thai bank...SCB has decent platform .

ETFs are definitely the way to go as most funds even with superstar managers don't manage to beat the indices. I was looking at this one:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Mutual-Funds/ETF-Funds/BCAP-SET100-ETF

Do you think Bangkok Bank would let me open one with a tourist visa? I already have a bank account with them.

Edited by edwardandtubs