Riches to Rags: Swiss man lost everything except his smile after meeting Thai woman

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the OP just sitting there feeling sorry for himself?

Been there just the same, got jailed, left with nothing, borrowed 10.000 baht from Prakonchai nick.

Got back to the UK and worked bloody hard to get back on my feet, and i was 61 at the time.

10 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Lots of guys approach & perceive a relationship/marriage in Thailand in the same way as they do in their home countries, I think this is part of the problem.

I was talking to an old retired guy in a pub in Worcester where I now live, some months ago, he was moving out to live in Thailand the next day. He has/had the same girlfriend for 7 years in Thailand, she had convinced him that it's not possible for a farang to own any property in Thailand, condo included.

we all know that farang CAN own a condo in Thailand......so part of your comment is wrong........

Another bl#*dy "log into Facebook" video. On the face of it a casebook study, wonder what his immigration status is if he's broke. And I can't believe the

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He hopes that he will be reunited with her one day.

The story's all a bit too neat if you ask me. A cynic might think it's designed to evoke sympathy from the Thai authorities. He's changed a bit in 10 years, natural ageing - maybe.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They were together for seven years. He bought her a house, a car, a plot of land in Rayong. She even ran a laundry business that Tony, 56, financed.

Not to worry. Tony had brought a nest egg of 10 million baht to Thailand. It was bound to last.

So, if, after financing all of the above, he still had a 'nest egg of 10 million baht', what happened to that money? - Shoddy journalism?

"Tony doesn't know where his love went."

Pssst.... it wasn't love

If he wants to reunite with her he'd better go back home and build up a new fat bank balance. That would lure her back

Thai bar girls have been fleecing naive western retirees ever since they have started coming to Thailand.  There are so many sad stories like this.  To add insult to injury, the Thai government has gotten into the act by requiring western retirees to deposit their money into a Thai bank.  

It looks like many of the western retirees are staring to wake up on this one and leave Thailand.  At least the bar girls were doing something to make these retirees feel good.  The Thai government has instructed Thai Immigration not to make these people feel good, but just require them to deposit the money.

Any western retiree considering moving to Thailand for a happy retirement, should have their heads examined, lol. 

51 minutes ago, essox essox said:

we all know that farang CAN own a condo in Thailand......so part of your comment is wrong........

And I would be very wary of a woman telling me otherwise. 

2 hours ago, farang2002 said:

If I ever need a brain transplant I want his:  it's like brand new, never been used!

Now that my friend was seriously funny....I am still laughing. However I do feel sorry for Tony as naivity and an open heart is not a bad thing and we need more of it in this world but when arriving in Thailand for the first time one needs to tuck those qualities far far away and use your brain and not emotion in the LOS.

10 million baht isn't that much, not enough to be called "wealthy" in the west.  It's just $322,500. That amount is "wealthy" only by Thai village standards. To be sure, it's barely enough to retire in the West at age 65, as long as there's some social security "pension" to back it up. But to take it to Thailand and finance a half-dozen projects? I'm surprised it lasted more than a year.

...should be a crime....

...how many lives ruined....

...when a Thai woman is the victim they call it 'romance scam'....or....'marriage scam'...

...when a foreign man is the victim.......__________.....

....nothing.....

...but better catch the foreigners that stole a bike instead.....!!!

Archived