New Bangkok debit card

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I have just checked on the internet 6 digit cards do not work in the Uk , you need 4 digits .

so an earlier poster is correct .That is why no Brit expat has ever posted the new master

card from Bangkok being any use in the Uk . So today Bangkok bank telling me KNOW PROBLEM

is utter nonsense .

I am in UK right now. I just used my Kasikorn Visa card at an ATM and used my SIX digit PIN.  It works fine.  I have also used it at various other ATMs around the UK and it always works fine.

• Like 1

I have Mastercard from Bangkok Bank , and I went into my local branch today to find out why it worked on some sites and not others.

The ladies telephoned Bangkok and came back with the truth . It does not work on all sites like Visa did.

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

Liberator,  That is great news , I googled six digits and it came up

with no can do !!!! You are the first British ex pat to give me an

a positive answer , Many thanks to you .

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

Liberator,  That is great news , I googled six digits and it came up

with no can do !!!! You are the first British ex pat to give me an

a positive answer , Many thanks to you .

Good for you but my original question was will my UK four digit master/visa card work in Thai cashpoints? No answer so far.

It will not work as all ATMs and card machines in UK and EU can only accept a 4 digit pin number.

To clarify I used to work for SAGE chip and pin machines, (Who make at least 50% of all machines worldwide) they cannot accept 6 digit PIN numbers.  And I've tried, it will not work ever.
I used my 6 digit PIN when using my Kasikorn Debit Card at an ATM and a supermarket in the UK last month, no problem whatsoever, I also used them in December.
My Thai Amex card, not chipped, also worked fine automatically printing out a receipt for signing, except in one pub where I didn’t have to do anything, they just swiped my card and handed over my wine.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

I used my 6 digit PIN when using my Kasikorn Debit Card at an ATM and a supermarket in the UK last month, no problem whatsoever, I also used them in December.
My Thai Amex card, not chipped, also worked fine automatically printing out a receipt for signing, except in one pub where I didn’t have to do anything, they just swiped my card and handed over my wine.

But will my UK four-digit card work in Thailand?

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

But will my UK four-digit card work in Thailand?

Thai ATMs work with Cirrus, Maestro, MasterCard and Visa (Plus) cards. Your bankcan confirm whether your card belongs to one of these networks. ... Thai ATMs workwith chip-and-pin type cards and with cards that have just a magnetic stripe at the back. They also accept both four-digit and six-digit PIN numbers.Feb 28, 2017

The above from Internet search.

Today, I used my chipped USA Debit card with 4 digit Pin at a Thai ATM and had no problem withdrawing funds.  The same over several years.  Thailand will accept 4 and 6 digit Pins from any bank with uses the systems listed above.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Thai ATMs work with Cirrus, Maestro, MasterCard and Visa (Plus) cards. Your bankcan confirm whether your card belongs to one of these networks. ... Thai ATMs workwith chip-and-pin type cards and with cards that have just a magnetic stripe at the back. They also accept both four-digit and six-digit PIN numbers.Feb 28, 2017

The above from Internet search.

Today, I used my chipped USA Debit card with 4 digit Pin at a Thai ATM and had no problem withdrawing funds.  The same over several years.  Thailand will accept 4 and 6 digit Pins from any bank with uses the systems listed above.

Thaidream. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Thaidream. Thanks for that.

All my U.S. MC and VISA debit cards all have only 4 digit PINS (not 6), and they all work fine in all Thai bank ATMs and for POS -- assuming you have unlocked the card with the card issuing bank to allow its use outside your home country.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

All my U.S. MC and VISA debit cards all have only 4 digit PINS (not 6), and they all work fine in all Thai bank ATMs and for POS -- assuming you have unlocked the card with the card issuing bank to allow its use outside your home country.

I've been using my UK Mastercard here for years. My wife's sister alarmed her by saying Thai banks are using six-digit pins and maybe our card wouldn't work here. Panic over.

Ya... my older Thai bank cards still have 4 digit PINs, and of course they still work here. But the newer ones I've been issued in the past year or two all have 6 digit PINs, and of course, they work here also...

So, AFAIK, as long as the PIN is correct, either 4 or 6 digit PINs should still be accepted in any of the ATMs in TH.

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya... my older Thai bank cards still have 4 digit PINs, and of course they still work here. But the newer ones I've been issued in the past year or two all have 6 digit PINs, and of course, they work here also...

So, AFAIK, as long as the PIN is correct, either 4 or 6 digit PINs should still be accepted in any of the ATMs in TH.

Thanks, Tallguy.

I have just checked on the internet 6 digit cards do not work in the Uk , you need 4 digits .
so an earlier poster is correct .That is why no Brit expat has ever posted the new master
card from Bangkok being any use in the Uk . So today Bangkok bank telling me KNOW PROBLEM
is utter nonsense .

Save that in my case both my Bangkok Bank MasterCard and my Kasikorn Bank Visa card, both with a six digit PIN, both worked in UK atm’s last month.
My UK Card, actually issued in the IoM, has a four digit PIN and works here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app