Are the Thais shamelessly culturally appropriating our beloved authentic western foods?

Jingthing

Scoozi, which used to serve authentic Italian-style pizzas, now offers such toppings as laab moo, seafood kee mao, and seafood tom yam.  All accompanied, of course, with tomato ketchup.  It's a joke.

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Scoozi, which used to serve authentic Italian-style pizzas, now offers such toppings as laab moo, seafood kee mao, and seafood tom yam.  All accompanied, of course, with tomato ketchup.  It's a joke.

Both Pizza Hut and Pizza Company have now decided that Thousand Island dressing is needed on all pizza. Scoozi should soon jump on the latest craze.

Edited by Curt1591

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm wondering when they'll get around to a variant of Hawaiian pizza - durian instead of pineapple.

In Hanoi I had an apple and condensed milk pizza, the venue in fact had quite list of similar toppings, they were listed (in Vietnamese language and in English) on the menu as Dessert Pizzas. 

It was actually quite nice. 

I will admit US Thai food is good. But, it is not Thai food. 

I think we are probably worse than they are. Everyone does it with food, in our cases we try to impose our political systems etc. Thailand doing just the food is fine by me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Think of all the ways Thais serve our beloved western foods.

Only if you believe that our food is beloved.  Which I don't.

Anyway, I get them back.  After eating I use a toothpick without covering my mouth.  Some Thais will just about gag at that. 

So - Tit for Tat.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

Only if you believe that our food is beloved.  Which I don't.

Anyway, I get them back.  After eating I use a toothpick without covering my mouth.  Some Thais will just about gag at that. 

So - Tit for Tat.  

You realize I was taking the piss right? Mainly at those silly Oberlin students and the entire "cultural appropriation" thing in the west and irrational obsession with what's authentic or not. If food tastes good to you, it's good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, faraday said:

Oh please forgive me..

There's no need to be snitty, this thread is in the Farang Pub. Ok na?

Well, what do you expect in the Farang Pub after an Op tosses back a half a dozen pints then hits the keyboard?  'Eh?  <laughs>

Just now, connda said:

Well, what do you expect in the Farang Pub after an Op tosses back a half a dozen pints then hits the keyboard?  'Eh?  <laughs>

If you mean one small bottle of San Mig Lite which couldn't get Twiggy drunk, then I plead guilty. 

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Do you serve that special Issan Pizza topped with field crabs and plaraa?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You realize I was taking the piss right? Mainly at those silly Oberlin students and the entire "cultural appropriation" thing in the west and irrational obsession with what's authentic or not. If food tastes good to you, it's good. 

This is The Farang Pub. I'm just being cheeky my friend, not serious. :wink:

Let's be flexible and look for something exiting.

First of all this happens all over the world. Ask an Italian chef what he things about thick crust pizza. And ask him what he thinks about ketchup on pizza. Or how about espresso with lots of water - Americano...

I think some new variations are very good. I once had in an expensive Chinese restaurant crabs with cheese. It tasted fantastic. A friend likes to eat T-bone steak with krapo-sauce. Why not? I like lots of Thai food a little different than most Thais would eat it. I.e. more kati (coconut cream) and other changes. Everybody according to their personal taste.

Food develops and good combinations or variations will stay.

And some bad variations also survive for longer than they should. But we don't have to eat them.

• Like 1

You'd think the "students" at Oberlin would find something better to do with their $70,000/year tuition, like finish their gender studies degrees and get busy doing the work they are qualified to do. Baristas and clerks at Walmart make pretty good money, right? 

Oh, after losing an $11 million defamation suit, maybe they had get to work now. 

Poor soft little kids.

9 hours ago, faraday said:

While we're on the subject....

just how long have Buffaloes had 'wings'?

Churchill is turning in his grave, no doubt.

Not to be overly picky, but the "Buffalo" in Buffalo Wings, refers to the city of Buffalo, New York, and not the animal!