Pound Sterling To Baht Exchange Rate

localexpat

Hi

I know there have been a previous posting but I am still confused.

Does anyone know for sure:

If I bring pound sterling with me to Thailand (cash) and exchange it in Bangkok, what exchange rate will I get ?

If I ask my Bank in the UK to transfer pound sterling to my bank account in Thailand what exchange rate will I get?

I use to use Yahoo currency converter but it fluctuates too much now

Thanks

Due to the 30% investment requirement or the required hedging of foreign investments, the offshore and onshore exchange rate for the baht can vary as much as 10%. Whatever you can do to get the onshore rate will give you the highest return. If you are wiring money to Thailand, ensure the UK bank is not exchaning to baht (they would use the offshore (lower) rate); instead, have the funds reach Thailand and then have the funds exchanged here. Depeinding on how much you plan to exchange, then you could always bring in foreign cash and exchange when you arrive in Thailand; however, I do not like to travel with a large amount of cash. Lastly, foreign bank ATM cards bill your Thailand withdrawals at offshore rates.

I am 90% sure the above is correct, anyone care to elaborate or correct??

If I bring pound sterling with me to Thailand (cash) and exchange it in Bangkok, what exchange rate will I get ?

If I ask my Bank in the UK to transfer pound sterling to my bank account in Thailand what exchange rate will I get?

Hand-carry GBP banknotes: you get the onshore rate for banknotes. Today at Bangkok Bank, this would have been 66.90

SWIFT remittance of GBP: you get the onshore rate for TT. Today at Bangkok Bank, this would have been 67.63

--

Maestro