Thailand: Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

webfact

Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

girl-1149933_960_720.jpg

Law lecturer Akawat Laowonsiri said on Wednesday (June 12) at a seminar entitled “Review of the prevention and suppression of prostitution laws project”, held at Thammasat University’s Tha Prachan campus, that he is drafting new laws to introduce zoning for sex related activities under the authority of the Department of Local Administration.

He went on to explain that Thailand is obliged to protect the rights of sex workers and is a signatory to  international commitments like the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). In addition, the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand (Interim), B.E. 2557 Amendment (No. 4), B.E. 2560 (2017) Section 40 guarantees the rights of a person to enjoy the liberty to engage in an occupation.

The researcher said that updating the laws will tackle the issue of the health and well-being of all the stakeholders in the sex industry. For example, a law to protect the rights of a wife whose husband has a sexually-transmitted disease is needed, in accordance with the principle of universal coverage. Sex workers should be free to refuse to provide a service and they should have the right to be fairly treated and paid in the workplace.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/academic-suggests-prostitution-laws-need-change-to-be-in-line-with-reality/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-13

Actually,  prostitution was not the reason i came to Thailand .

There are those amongst us, who suffer from memory loss. 555

Edited by elliss

Look at other nations - netherlands has a museum in amsterdam for sex work and the industry as a whole including erotic media and toys is actually a working sector that pays tax so why prohibit something that is obviously good for mental wellbeing and produces money for the gov

Its really a no brainer look at zoning it like he said and then collect some tax and build some nice parks and high tech facilities for the education of our youth and put some money into some gov hospitals - why the hell not

I will never get why they do not embrace money they should look at successes like amsterdam, vegas london and new york if they want to get rich allow sex and allow gambling it would be for the best otherwise it happens behind doors and its exploited so they should regulate and allow card games and topless waitresses and lapdance areas - watch the numbers fly up and tax coffers fill from the tourists all that would need is legal dispensaries and i would be fully bullish thai stocks to be honest that would be one hell of a mixture herb an hoes with card games on the beach <deleted> yes it would sell out

someone enlighten me how they dont know what cowboy and nana is famous for ... im just a stupid american right? 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

Look at other nations - netherlands has a museum in amsterdam for sex work and the industry as a whole including erotic media and toys is actually a working sector that pays tax so why prohibit something that is obviously good for mental wellbeing and produces money for the gov

Its really a no brainer look at zoning it like he said and then collect some tax and build some nice parks and high tech facilities for the education of our youth and put some money into some gov hospitals - why the hell not

I will never get why they do not embrace money they should look at successes like amsterdam, vegas london and new york if they want to get rich allow sex and allow gambling it would be for the best otherwise it happens behind doors and its exploited so they should regulate and allow card games and topless waitresses and lapdance areas - watch the numbers fly up and tax coffers fill from the tourists all that would need is legal dispensaries and i would be fully bullish thai stocks to be honest that would be one hell of a mixture herb an hoes with card games on the beach <deleted> yes it would sell out

someone enlighten me how they dont know what cowboy and nana is famous for ... im just a stupid american right? 

Prostitution is not completely legal in London or anywhere else in the UK. 

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Paying for sex is not illegal in the UK, but soliciting, brothels, trafficking and underage prostitution is. Thailand is similar, with "promiscuous" prostitution illegal but no clear rules about what that is; and gogos and massage places licensed for the services they provide.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

education of the people...

....and here is the point:   even the teachers of primary schools are uneducated. No English. No knowledge what's going on outside Thailand. The way of teaching is outdated. The circle is self revolving. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Well, in this matter UK is somehow undeveloped ???? Other countries such as Germany are far ahead already 

• Like 1

Prostitution has to remain technically illegal, otherwise the police might have to do some work. Example: say you have a woman to your room and later notice your watch is gone. If you try to report it you will be told you were doing something illegal and have no standing. So if it were legal they would have to be involved in the details all the time. They will never want to do that work. The way it is now they can deny it and let anarchy take its course, as it does on the highways.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Sex workers should be free to refuse to provide a service and they should have the right to be fairly treated and paid in the workplace.

Um? Isn't it all about the money? Who in there right mind would freely accept sex with a fat, old, overweight German? And what's the going rate for fairly paid? They obviously try for as much as they can get. As for fairly treated, what's the proper conduct for treating a whore? "Excuse me, may I ask the price of a <deleted> and S**K? Does one accept Euros?"

Edited by Wilsonandson
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Who in there right mind would freely accept sex with a fat, old, overweight German?

A woman who's planning ahead. She might hit the jackpot and get married to the old, fat and overweight gentleman who eventually will buy her a house, car etc. The older the better...